Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

Cloud Key? UNMS? What do I choose?

I purchased the EdgeRouter POE and the Unifi AC SHD for my company's network.  We have 2 WAN connections incoming for this network, with most users using WIFI.

I purchased the Cloud Key thinking this was what I needed to control my network config and monitor throughput, but then I saw there is something called UNMS that is free and handles that as well.

What should I use??

Thanks for any help.  

Kudos: 149
Solutions: 57

Re: Cloud Key? UNMS? What do I choose?

You actually need both. The cloud key (more specifically the Unifi controller that runs on it)  is needed to control unified devices like the SHD access point ( and unify specific routers and switches)

UNMS on the other hand provides a similar centralized management for Edge devices ( routers and switches).  

Currently they do not work together, and UNMS is optional,  while the Unifi controller is required 

Established Member
Kudos: 464
Solutions: 44

Re: Cloud Key? UNMS? What do I choose?

You can alsow download UniFi Controller app for iOS and Android and use that as well.  Or you can download Widnows, Mac and Linux versions too: https://www.ubnt.com/download/unifi/

The Man from Q.A. My Story: UniFing the Spanish Garden | My Story: Rise of Accidental WiFi Test Lab | Signal & Throughput Tests Log | Early Access Signup
UniFi: UAS-XG, USG-XG, 24 L2 PoE, AC PRO, AC Mesh, AC Walls , HD, SHD, XG, nanoHD, G3 Micro.
Wired clients: Custom built Windows 10 PC, Brother MFC, four PS3s, four XBOX360s, two Wiis, four Smart TVs.
Wireless clients: Fourteen (yes, 14) Nest Thermostats for in-floor radiant heating, 5 Amazon Echos (original/show/dots), two MB Pros, two Windows laptops, one iPad 5th Gen, one Surface Pro 3, four iPhones, two Android phones, two DS Lites, Neato robotic vacuum.