Established Member
Kudos: 686
Solutions: 49

Re: Convert EdgeRouter Lite to UniFi Security Gateway?

@normanmdean => fair enough, it's good to experiment anyway !

SuperUser
Kudos: 2107
Solutions: 399

@normanmdean wrote:

Muahahahahaha, the firmware from the USG works in the ERL. I pulled the usb key out of my new USG and put it into my ERL that has a bad usb key and it works so far. I consoled in and they are the same even says its an edgemax router. I'm going to put it though the paces. I'f it works im going to copy the key and migrate all the ERL I have installed in hotels to USG to go along with the UniFi systems. Man Happy

Good thing! I plan to do the exact opposite. The edgerouter is a very good and feature rich router, and the USG is, well, a pretty router.

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br
Emerging Member
Kudos: 10

Don't quote me on this but the config file looks the same. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty in the CLI it should have all the same features, just not through the unifi GUI. 

Established Member

@normanmdean => this is normal, the USG 4.2 is "just" the firmware of the edgerouter, version 1.5, with the Unifi integration library. Meaning, it's like configuring an edgerouter using firmware 1.5 ... same same... but different

Does anybody has an image of the USG usb drive? 

I iso'ed all the contents of the USB drive of my edge router 5 poe in case somebody wants to flash this to a USG and atempt to turn it into a edge router(or a edge brick, lol). 

Attachment
Established Member

@avisolutions => an edgerouter lite ISO will at least help and reduce risk more than the POE ;-P and from what I saw before, even pretty similar, it's not only about the OS, the partitioning need a little change/optimization to work

Kudos: 344
Solutions: 37

Now that would be ultra cool if it works. Time to test this...

also, if you need a replacement USB key for an ER Lite, these ones fit and work well (and should fit the USG too.)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139999

Ideally however if you're going to use the USG/ERL for anything that requires lots of file system writes, you want something with a full SSD controller on board -

http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-sandisk-extreme-usb-3-0-16gb-sandisk-price-381647.html

but you need to extend the USB port to outside the case for that to physically fit. This is on my to-do list...

Linux / Network / ISP / Virtualization Geek for Hire
SuperUser

@avisolutions wrote:

Does anybody has an image of the USG usb drive? 

I iso'ed all the contents of the USB drive of my edge router 5 poe in case somebody wants to flash this to a USG and atempt to turn it into a edge router(or a edge brick, lol). 

Won't work either way. USG image to ERL or ELR image to USG. I've tried it, system even boots fine, but no ethernet available.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5142
Solutions: 1458

... wonder what's different between the two to stop them from seeing the interfaces?

SuperUser

@dpurgert wrote:

... wonder what's different between the two to stop them from seeing the interfaces?

Certainly some software lock, because everything seems fine, except there's no eth interfaces present on the system.

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Any progress on this?

SuperUser
Kudos: 11385
Solutions: 698
Contributions: 1

I'm sorry, why exactly do you want to do this?   To save $24?   What's the point?

JIm

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
Emerging Member
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

Administration is the point.

Some allready have a number of small ER's, and then make administration easier, when changing to Unify.

I already own a ERL so it would be 165 USD to buy a USG. If it is possible to convert the ERL to a USG it would make administration a lot easier.

SuperUser
Kudos: 11385
Solutions: 698
Contributions: 1

@Mkvarner wrote:

I already own a ERL so it would be 165 USD to buy a USG. If it is possible to convert the ERL to a USG it would make administration a lot easier.

Where are you buying these?   MSRP from Streakwave is $119, and if you buy from them often they discount from that too...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...

Hello dear, lets reactivate the post. I am able to put the network interfaces up using the USG image on the ERL hardware, it is routing every thing fine but the unifi controller do not see the device and the network administration page frozen before printing the EULA. The SSH, DNS, DHCP and other services all work fine.
If someone would like to help me, it would be interesting if you could share a flash drive image from the USG of a working device and also, on the cli (or SSH) console, send all the resulting file from these commands:

dd if=/dev/mtd0 of=/tmp/mtd0.img
dd if=/dev/mtd1 of=/tmp/mtd1.img
dd if=/dev/mtd2 of=/tmp/mtd2.img
dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=/tmp/mtdblock0.img
dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=/tmp/mtdblock1.img
dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=/tmp/mtdblock2.img

I am going to compare the changes made from one device to another.

Thanks.

Bumping this thread.

Seems like a waste of dollars to have an Edgerouter Lite and have to turn around to waste dollars on a Security Gateway. I would rather them just enable USG features on the EdgeRouter Lite. It has all the pretty stats they are looking for.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5681
Solutions: 355

@milestone1201 wrote:

Bumping this thread.

Seems like a waste of dollars to have an Edgerouter Lite and have to turn around to waste dollars on a Security Gateway. I would rather them just enable USG features on the EdgeRouter Lite. It has all the pretty stats they are looking for.

That's not something we'll be able to accommodate. There are differences in included components, some of which are licensed, and licensed only for USG hardware.

Kudos: 1

Licences can be amended or changed.  The issue here seems to be Ubiquiti as a company is not interested in merging the two product lines.  There has seemed to be a half in attitude about the unifi controller from the beginning.  To make the Unifi Controller actually useful it would need to be able to manage all ubiquiti hardware.

SuperUser

@tpmullan wrote:

Licences can be amended or changed.  The issue here seems to be Ubiquiti as a company is not interested in merging the two product lines.  There has seemed to be a half in attitude about the unifi controller from the beginning.  To make the Unifi Controller actually useful it would need to be able to manage all ubiquiti hardware.

It manages all UniFi hardware, as it always did, it's pretty simple. Man Wink