Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

DHCP Beginner question

Hi all,

i would like to buy a USG and integrate it to my network but i would like to keep my EdgeRouter Lite.

Now my question:

Where i have to switch on or off the DHCP-Server for my network?

Or are two DHCP-Servers are ok?

regards

Marcus

setup.jpg

Highlighted
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 4

Re: DHCP Beginner question

I suppose my first question would be why do you want two routers? But assuming you have a perfectly valid reason (i.e. you have something else connected to the EdgeRouter, not just the USG), then so long as the two routers serve different IP address ranges (i.e. there is no overlap in the address ranges they can serve) then you can leave DHCP on both.

Two routers because i don´t know how to setup L2TP/IPSec on the USG, on my Edgerouter L2TP/IPSec is running fine and i can connect with my ios device to my homenetwork.

Maybe someone has a instruction for beginners with picturesIcon Smile

Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Why do you want the USG when you already have an EdgeRouter?  It sounds like you want the USG instead of the EdgeRouter, but that you can't get rid of the EdgeRouter b/c you don't know how to setup VPN on USG.  

Again, what's the purpose for trying to replace the EdgeRouter with the USG?

In your diagram, having DHCP on the EdgeRouter will just end up assigning a dynamic IP to your USG.  Your USG's DHCP server will receive the DHCP broadcast requests from clients connected to the switch.