Kudos: 4

Re: DNS resolution of local clients (DHCP)

I had to use the above updated scripts as many clients (ios, cameras, etc) did not make it into the hosts file for the same reason as above. The updated script resolved this, but for clients that are configured as "static" in the controller, the entry is added using the MAC name as the name in the /etc/hosts file instead of the real name. When made not static, the real name is used instead. Any idea why and how to resolve it transparently when defining a client as "static"?

In the interim I defined static-host-mapping entries for the ones that are "static" but would have expected the dhcp handling registers it using the name.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 54

I gave up waiting for Ubiquiti to fix this to work like every other DHCP on the planet:

https://robpickering.com/configuring-synology-for-forward-and-reverse-internal-dns-resolution/

I'm probably going to turn DHCP off on the Ubiquiti and just let the Synology handle it, it works fine there (and on pfSense).

-Rob

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5502
Solutions: 351

The remaining outstanding issues with hostname registration are resolved in v4.3.39 that was just posted.

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

@UBNT-cmb, I've just updated to v4.3.39 and it looks like it's resolving correctly to the hostname of the device. Can you clarify how the client aliases are handled in terms of DNS lookup?
Solutions: 1

Just updated to 4.3.39, and it seems to be working great.  Thanks for keeping us updated, @UBNT-cmb

With 4.3.39 all works fine. All hosts (Windows, ios, etc) with static and non static settings are added to /etc/hosts using the hostname. Thanks.

Emerging Member

I just upgraded to 4.3.39 on my USG.

I don't see any appreciable difference in DNS operation from prior versions.  I do now see a "Site Name" under Settings > Site, which I set to be my domain name.  Also, hosts that previously were being added with spaces no longer appear to be...

However, hosts are still being added to /etc/hosts with whatever they identify themselves as, including capitalization, and static aliases are ignored.  FQDN hosts don't resolve properly (hostname+domain), only hostname queries resolve properly (not sure if this was supposed to be fixed with the addition of the Site Name).

Back to Synology...

-Rob

Ubiquiti Employee

@robpickering wrote:

I just upgraded to 4.3.39 on my USG.

I don't see any appreciable difference in DNS operation from prior versions.  I do now see a "Site Name" under Settings > Site, which I set to be my domain name.  Also, hosts that previously were being added with spaces no longer appear to be...

However, hosts are still being added to /etc/hosts with whatever they identify themselves as, including capitalization, and static aliases are ignored.  FQDN hosts don't resolve properly (hostname+domain), only hostname queries resolve properly (not sure if this was supposed to be fixed with the addition of the Site Name).

Site name is not the domain name, that's strictly for reference/display, has no functional impact (and has always been there). The domain is set in the network configuration for each network, and requires being on 5.5.x controller. Settings, Network, edit the LAN for instance, set there in Domain Name. 

Registration of aliases is new to 5.6.x versions, and pending UI to be usable. That likely will make 5.6.4. 

Emerging Member

@UBNT-cmb wrote:
Site name is not the domain name, that's strictly for reference/display, has no functional impact (and has always been there).

The domain is set in the network configuration for each network, and requires being on 5.5.x controller. Settings, Network, edit the LAN for instance, set there in Domain Name.

Registration of aliases is new to 5.6.x versions, and pending UI to be usable. That likely will make 5.6.4. 

Well, I'm running a Ubiquiti Cloud Key and the latest Controller software available is 5.4. So, guess I'll just keep waiting for this to be "fixed"... Then wait again to have the aliases working.

It's a shame that Ubiquiti doesn't provide the latest Controller software on their own devices.

Thank you for the clarification on the Site Name, guess I was just hoping it would do something.

I do appreciate the updates.

-Rob

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

Cloud Key firmware ships with the latest official stable release controller version, which is 5.4.x at the moment. 5.5.x is currently stable candidate soon to be the next stable, 5.6.x is development/unstable. You can download the .deb of any controller version to the CK and 'dpkg -i <filename>.deb' to install.

Emerging Member

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

Cloud Key firmware ships with the latest official stable release controller version, which is 5.4.x at the moment. 5.5.x is currently stable candidate soon to be the next stable, 5.6.x is development/unstable. You can download the .deb of any controller version to the CK and 'dpkg -i <filename>.deb' to install.

Where do you find the 5.5 and 5.6 versions?  I'm only seeing 5.4 on the website for download.

(I'm sure you think I'm a pain in the arse, but I really am just trying to solve these DNS issues with my Ubiquiti network (since October, 2016), I'm otherwise very pleased with the equipment, setup, and configuration, DNS is just a thorn).

Thank you.

-Rob

Ubiquiti Employee

@robpickering wrote:

Where do you find the 5.5 and 5.6 versions?  I'm only seeing 5.4 on the website for download.

Those are only posted to the beta blog. 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Beta-Blog/bg-p/Blog_UniFi_Beta

You'll need to opt into the beta program here first if you haven't already. 

https://account.ubnt.com/manage

5.5.11 and 5.6.3 will be coming next week. If you want to go to 5.6.x, I'd wait until 5.6.3 is posted to beta blog. If you're not using multi-WAN, then 5.5.9 is a fine choice. (5.5.10 was internal-only)

Emerging Member

Thank you.

So I just got through round two of purchasing the USG and getting ready to return it yet again for this exact issue. Windows 10 DNS not being set properly at all nor being forwarded through the USG at all. My controller is on atag_5.7.23_10670. Can anyone confirm if the fixes for DNS mentioned in this thread are indeed resolved for you? I have a support case open with limited engagement since Friday with support. 

Kudos: 2

I no longer have the issue stated in this thread. You should check the TCP/IP configuration on the windows machine you're using and make sure it's taking all its configuration from the USG and has not been manually specified to use Google's DNS servers or something like that.