Kudos: 2

DNS resolution of local clients (DHCP)

Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue with their USG since upgrading to 5.2.7 or 5.2.9...

Prior to the new point release when a client connected to the USG and was allocated an IP address by the DHCP server that client would then become available for local resolution from the DNS server. So if a server named "fred" connects to the USG and recieves an IP of 192.168.1.11 then I would then be able to resolve fred to that IP address by using the hostname "fred".

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Anyone found a fix?

As a side note, it'd be really nice to be able to set a domain for all devices connected to the USG, I found some instructions to do it through the config files (haven't actually implemented it) but this seems like a simple thing to add to the UI and is available on most home routers.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5645
Solutions: 355

Re: DNS resolution of local clients (DHCP)

This was wrongly disabled by default. I submitted a change to restore the previous behavior, so the next controller release should have that on again. 

Thanks! any idea which version this is likely to be included in?

Ubiquiti Employee

It was merged in this morning. The next 5.4.x, 5.3.x and 5.2.x releases will have it. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 55

I'm still having this same problem on the USG...
Running 4.3.23.4913544.

Just upgraded to 4.3.33.4936086 and it's still not working.

There was another thread here that implied the issue is in the host override and that either Fixed IP hosts (or hosts with an Alias override) would not resolve properly.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/UniFi-USG-local-DNS-not-resolving-local-hostna...

Agreed Rob, I upgraded a couple of days ago and also found this to still not be resolved. Very disappointing.
Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

It works now. The outstanding problem that some have at this point is lacking of a default domain, which makes Windows in particular have issues resolving those hostnames even though they are registered in USG's DNS. The situation OP noted is fixed.

This in particular has no relation to USG firmware version, it's specific to the controller version, as it's strictly related to the deployed configuration. I believe 5.2.9 was the first controller version to fix, past those that broke it.

Default domain support is in progress and should be merged this coming week.  Setting the system's default domain and that in the DHCP scope via config.gateway.json is a workable alternative in the mean time. 

Emerging Member

I have no Windows systems on my network. It still doesn't work.
Resolution is non-operational across macOS, Linux, Synology, iOS, take your pick. This is for short or long names.

Not sure what "registered in DNS" means if it cannot be resolved. Happy to provide dig or nslookup output from any of the OSes, all of which are configured to use the USG as the DNS resolver.

I'm running a Cloud Key as my Controller, it's on 5.2.9 (Build: atag_5.2.9_8748).

I also fail to see what the Controller has to do with DHCP registration / DNS resolution of the USG...how is it involved?
Emerging Member

Just upgraded my Cloud Key to 5.3.8-8920. No default domain support that I can find.
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Seconding this.  For me, this broke when I upgraded to 5.3.8 (and updated the firmware of my USG to the latest immediately after).

I actually have my USG configured to issue a default dns suffix via config.gateway.json, which does get set correctly on my devices (this is across 2x Windows 10 systems,  3x various Linux systems, 3 macOS Sierra systems, 4 iOS devices, and 1 Android device).  However, when I attempt to perform a DNS lookup either using short names or the FQDN, the lookup fails.  This worked flawlessly prior to the upgrade to 5.3.8 and the associated USG firmware update, so something has changed recently.

Edit:  Just adding that my USG is running firmware version 4.3.33.4936086

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Sure would love someone from Ubiquiti to tell us what's going on with this.  It's been months since this feature was REMOVED and several revisions after it was promised to be reinstated...

Do I really have to set up a separate DNS server on my internal network?  If I'm being required to do that, I may as well do it via a separate DHCP server so it can properly handle the dynamic DNS registration of the clients (pfSense does this OOB).  If I have to install pfSense, why bother with a USG?

Help us understand when this may be fixed?

-Rob

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-cmb Any idea what is going on with this issue?  This has not worked on 5.3.8, 5.3.11, or on the current 5.4.9 release.  Would really appreciate at least some idea of what is going on, given this worked flawlessly with the exact same configuration prior to upgrading to 5.3.8 and beyond.  It's really getting frustrating, given it was supposed to have been fixed months ago.

Maybe it's just time to throw in the towel and go back to my ERLite.  The USG is really feeling half-baked and neglected with issues like this sticking around for ages.

Emerging Member

Yea, I'd love to know as well as this is a bit more than just an annoyance.  I have to either build hosts files on all my clients, access my internal services by IP address, or else dump the USG and just go back to my pfSense Firewall which did this flawlessly.

Would just like to understand why it's not been corrected.

Agreeing with others here. Each time a new update comes out I install it in the hope that it fixes this issue but no such luck. Any Ubiquiti Employee able to give an update? I know there was an earlier comment that this was fixed but it still isn't working for several people from the looks of things. It'd be good to understand if there is some config we are missing or if it is a misunderstanding of the issue we are having.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-cmb

I've just encountered this after moving to a USG and I am shocked as I've just replaced a whole bunch of consumer kit with more than 10 ubiquiti devices and it cannot even manage something a standard home router could.

So can you please confirm what needs fixing and what has already been done/what's left to do as the change logs don't make it that clear?

Also when such issues are found can we please have detailed work around instructions if applicable.  I am getting up to speed with how the whole UniFi infrastructure works and starting to use the various CLIs (e.g. could not upgrade the USG out of the box) but this shouldn't be so time consuming for new users.

Emerging Member

I'm seconding someone who knows the steps to outline them so we can at least fix this problem ourselves.

From researching it, I know that you probably have to modify the config.gateway.json on the USG.  I found documentation on how to do this here:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/215458888-UniFi-How-to-further-customize-USG-configuration-w...

However, I'm unclear exactly what needs to be done.  According to @UBNT-cmb we're just missing a default domain suffix; however, elsewhere people report that it's more than that...

I'd be happy to fix it myself if I knew how...but I don't yet.

-Rob

Prior to 5.3.8, all you needed was something akin to this in the "service" block of config.gateway.json:

"dhcp-server": {
        "shared-network-name": {
            "LAN_192.168.10.0-24": {
                "subnet": {
                    "192.168.10.0/24": {
                        "domain-name": "domain.suffix.lan"
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    },

This is also all that was necessary to make it work in EdgeOS on my ERL, so it was pretty consistent between the two.

Emerging Member

@jchappell Do you know if this is still working in the current release, or is this broken too?

I'll give it a try on mine and report back if this fixes the Local DNS Resolution issue.  I'm thinking it won't, but we'll see.

Thanks!

-Rob

No, that's what I was trying to say.  Given this same configuration, which worked in earlier releases, it has not worked since installing 5.3.8.  I've literally not touched my config.gateway.json (I have a few other settings) since my original controller install at version 4.something, and when the 5.3.8 upgrade hit the apt repos and I upgraded, poof.  It immediately stopped working, and has not since.

Here we are, yet another controller release (5.4.9 > 5.4.11), and this is still broken.

@UBNT-cmb - any chance you could at least toss us an update?