Kudos: 1

Does increasing RAM in USG Pro 4 Benefit IPS rules

Hi All - Quick Question?

On the Ubiquiti page about IPS it states the following:

ATTENTION:
  • Due to the amount of available memory on the USG3, a limited selection of categories can be enabled.

So this makes me think that IPS requires RAM to enable large sets of rules

If that is the case would there be any benefit increasing the RAM in the USG Pro 4 from the default 2GB to 4GB if enabling ALL IPS rules, DPI and Smart Queues all at the same time?

Would increasing the RAM help the USG perform better?

Kudos: 273
Solutions: 38

Re: Does increasing RAM in USG Pro 4 Benefit IPS rules

It would bring it closer to USG4-PRO performance. But the fundamental performance limit for IPS is the lack of hardware acceleration.

Sorry i do not understand your reply

I am talking about increasing the RAM in the USG4 PRO from the default 2GB to 4GB

Kudos: 273
Solutions: 38

My bad. I guess it just brings it closer to the USG-XG then. Generally the whole lower end USGs need an upgrade. A bit more RAM wouldn’t hurt.

[ Edited ]

Yes True

It would be nice if the @UBNT-cmb staff would post and let us know if increasing the RAM will see any benefit to the PRO4 in the scenarios above.

They seem to indicate that due to the low RAM in the USG3 that a small amount of IPS rules can only be enabled THUS this is why i think the IPS rules are RAM intensive so by increasing the DDR3 RAM will this help

Im not sure when they say due to the lower RAM on the USG3 if they mean the onboard flash ram OR if they mean the DDR3 SO-DIMM.

I think the onboard flash ram is used as the storage device for the Operating system AND the DDR3 is used for processing the requests. @UBNT-cmb please can you reply and help on this OR if any of the community know please post.

Established Member
Kudos: 535
Solutions: 20

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Upgrade-USG-Pro-4-memory/m-p/2049983/highlight...

They are designing the USG firmware to work with the memory build into the appliance, unlikely that more memory will do any good.

Established Member
Kudos: 400
Solutions: 35

I see a significant improvement in IDS speed sometimes on my 8Gb equipped USG-4P routers.

The ‘fad’ for upgrading the RAM on the USG-4P started a while back when there was a documented memory leak in the USG-4P and since then there have been lots of people who have reported improvements in unintended ways with a 4Gb or 8Gb upgrade. 

At the end end of the day, it’s a small cost and it can’t make performance worse.