Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 3

Does your controller lie to you?

Hello all,

I've been using UniFi switches shortly after they came out and this has always been an intermittent problem.  I tolerated it at the beginning since they were brand new but they've been out far too long for this to be tolerable.  I get inaccurate information from the controller.  These two screenshots were taken a few minutes apart and I didn't disconnect them or reboot the client device during that time.  Notice that the IP of the device is shown in one screenshot and not in the other.  Also notice that the switch that its connected to changed.  This isn't unique to this device, this just happens to be the latest one that I gathered screenshots for.

Controller 5.5.24

Many different switches/models, mostly on the latest firmware but like I said this has been a long standing issue.

ip shown scrubbed.pngno ip scrubbed.png

Kudos: 8
Solutions: 4

Re: Does your controller lie to you?

@phlight I have a similar problem where a device will show it's connected to a LAN port rather than the wireless access point. Haven't been able to find a solution to this one yet.

Established Member
Kudos: 108
Solutions: 10

phlight wrote:

Hello all,

I've been using UniFi switches shortly after they came out and this has always been an intermittent problem.  I tolerated it at the beginning since they were brand new but they've been out far too long for this to be tolerable.  I get inaccurate information from the controller.  These two screenshots were taken a few minutes apart and I didn't disconnect them or reboot the client device during that time.  Notice that the IP of the device is shown in one screenshot and not in the other.  Also notice that the switch that its connected to changed.  This isn't unique to this device, this just happens to be the latest one that I gathered screenshots for.

Controller 5.5.24

Many different switches/models, mostly on the latest firmware but like I said this has been a long standing issue.

ip shown scrubbed.pngno ip scrubbed.png

weird thing.

I have heard of this, but i never see my my self...

Kudos: 134
Solutions: 16

I see this all of the time, and my understanding was that it happens for WiFi particularly, but for devices that are on the network and then go to sleep, once they drop they show up all over the place in the controller. It is frustrating.