Draytek Vigor 130 PPPoE Passthrough or MPoA Bridge Mode

I have a Draytek Vigor 130 configured for BT Infinity 2 (VDSL2 with VLAN tag 101).

I am wondering whether I should configure it for PPPoE passthrough or MPoA bridge mode. I have leaned towards MPoA in bridge mode with an MTU of 1492. On my USG 3, I have configured the WAN interface to PPPoE mode with the relevant BT username and password, with no VLAN tag specified since it's injected at the modem.

As it stands, would this configuration work? I am having trouble figuring out what the difference is between PPPoE Passthrough and MPoA Bridge Mode.

Thanks.

Established Member
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 34

Re: Draytek Vigor 130 PPPoE Passthrough or MPoA Bridge Mode

I’ve got more than a dozen of these setups running and I just leave them at Factory defaults. Set PPPoE on the USG with the standard BT username and password and Bob’s your uncle. 

Do you have issues running the factory defaults?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1508
Solutions: 89

@Griffolion wrote:

I have a Draytek Vigor 130 configured for BT Infinity 2 (VDSL2 with VLAN tag 101).

I am wondering whether I should configure it for PPPoE passthrough or MPoA bridge mode. I have leaned towards MPoA in bridge mode with an MTU of 1492. On my USG 3, I have configured the WAN interface to PPPoE mode with the relevant BT username and password, with no VLAN tag specified since it's injected at the modem.

As it stands, would this configuration work? I am having trouble figuring out what the difference is between PPPoE Passthrough and MPoA Bridge Mode.

Thanks.

How you configure the Vigor 130 is dependent on what services you expect to receive. The Draytek web site has instructions on which formware to load and why MPoA is beneficial.

MPoE works in all cases, apparently, if accessing the  BT TV  multicast channels using the PPPoE option is potentially problematic.

It works.

NOTE - The Vigor 130 in some countries is a router, not a modem. These instructions do not apply. Similarly , the indtructions for conguring a Vigor 130 in the US do not apply in the UK and other nations that have the modem version of the Vigor 130. The modem version is easy to identify, it only has one RJ45 port.

SuperUser
Kudos: 4623
Solutions: 1043

[ Edited ]

@Uberseehandel wrote:

@Griffolion wrote:

Thanks.

How you configure the Vigor 130 is dependent on what services you expect to receive. The Draytek web site has instructions on which formware to load and why MPoA is beneficial.

MPoE works in all cases, apparently, if accessing the  BT TV  multicast channels using the PPPoE option is potentially problematic.

It works.

NOTE - The Vigor 130 in some countries is a router, not a modem. These instructions do not apply. Similarly , the indtructions for conguring a Vigor 130 in the US do not apply in the UK and other nations that have the modem version of the Vigor 130. The modem version is easy to identify, it only has one RJ45 port.

Iagree

Out of the box settings on the UK version. Then from there into your router using PPPoE for your authentication there.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

@wja96 The BT engineer is coming to connect the internet tomorrow, I just want to make sure that everything is in place. Good to know that factory defaults work fine.

@Uberseehandel Thanks, the device we have is definitely just the modem, it's in the UK and only has one RJ-45.
SuperUser

The Openreach engineer will test to Homehub they provide and then test. Connect your modem and router once he has left as he will be no help at all.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

@Fireblade It honestly surprises me they don't know about third party products like the Vigor, especially given it's an officially supported product. You can buy them from BT's website.
SuperUser

I know that very well but they insist on connecting the HH if you have an issue. Hence I don't use BT for my connections.

Crock of sh1t they are.

For sure. In our case, the house is a new build and they've been messing around since November last year. It's crazy how incompetent they are.
Established Member
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 34

@Fireblade wrote:

I know that very well but they insist on connecting the HH if you have an issue. Hence I don't use BT for my connections.

Crock of sh1t they are.

Openreach is Openreach is Openreach. It doesn’t really matter whether you get A&A, Zen, Sky or Vodafone. The person who turns up is an Openreach engineer in almost all cases and most of the time their vehicle is Co-branded BT. 

Veteran Member

The term "engineer" is used very loosely in this context. When the "engineer" came to install my connection, he turned out to be an Army PT Instructor doing his retirement training.

I always keep an eye on the local FTTC green cabinet and stop for a chat if I see the OpenReach van there. One learns a lot.

One last question @Fireblade @Uberseehandel, what are the current up to date PPPoE credentials for BT Infinity 2?
SuperUser

@wja96 wrote:

@Fireblade wrote:

Crock of sh1t they are.

Openreach is Openreach is Openreach. It doesn’t really matter whether you get A&A, Zen, Sky or Vodafone. The person who turns up is an Openreach engineer in almost all cases and most of the time their vehicle is Co-branded BT. 

The point Iwas making I don't subscibe to or recommend any BT services apart from ISDN.

Openreach are a 'last mile provider' and will connect for all service providers. They have now been hived off from  BT as well and not before time.

Veteran Member

@Griffolion wrote:
One last question @Fireblade @Uberseehandel, what are the current up to date PPPoE credentials for BT Infinity 2?

Same as they always were. Google works

I am killing myself trying to find a way to enter credentials on this modem for my Zen connection. Every tutorial I look at shows a wizard or aditional settings below the Internet access>PPPoE/PPPoA.

I have nothing below the MTU box. I have all the settings working previously on a DSL-AC88U but wanted to split out the modem and router for something with a bit more power and mesh capability. This Vigor is not what I was expecting so far.  Been through latest firmware updates (even though the latest was on it out of the box) i have a VDSL2 line. . This should be ok right? 

SuperUser

No need to tpuch any settings on  Draytek 130 UK on Zen. Add your connection credetials on your router. Reboot both and off you go.

Veteran Member

@APC80 wrote:

This Vigor is not what I was expecting so far.  

OK, what were you expecting? A modem or a router?

In the UK, and some other markets, the Vigor 130 is an ADSL/VDSL modem that self configures for most ISPs. If being used to access BT Sport, then it is suggested that the modem be configured in Bridge mode, instructions on UK Draytrk web site.

In the US, the Vigor 130 is configured as a router. They are not interchangable.

Kudos: 19
Solutions: 3

@APC80 What Router are you using? I have Zen.  Draytek 130 - then entered PPPoE details into the USG. I did end up plugging the Vigor 130 into my computer, loging into its GUI and changing it's IP address and set it to bridge mode. that way I can still access the GUI after a tweak on the USG.

Zen should send & you can view your log in credentials on your account on their website. These need to be entered into the PPPoE settings of your Router.

Haven't had an issue since Jan (except for USG 4.4.29 firmware)

@FirebladeI have just bought one of these to rpelace a customer's BT Hub5 as the performance is unreliable. I intend using this simply as a modem as I'm hard wiring to a gigabit switch, my Ubiquiti set-up providing WiFi.

I'm presuming that the Vigor 130 will work straigth out of the box, just need my customer's BT login details? 

Cheers,

SuperUser

Yes these work out of the box. You will of course need a router after it which is where you input your BT authentication details.