Fanless switch?

Will there be a fanless switch soon with 16 or 24 ports? Does anyone knows the roadmap?
Established Member
Kudos: 301
Solutions: 78

Re: Fanless switch?

[ Edited ]

I can't predict the future, but the 16 port fans have never turned on in mine. It's silent. And it is a 150w PoE with several PoE devices connected.

SuperUser
Kudos: 11074
Solutions: 685
Contributions: 1

@wimvanbalen wrote:
Will there be a fanless switch soon with 16 or 24 ports? Does anyone knows the roadmap?

I would doubt it because of the need to cool the power supply of the switch for PoE.   A non PoE would be no problem - it's called an EdgeSwitch Lite, and comes in 24 or 48 port versions.   But the heat generated by the power supply has to go somewhere.   Laws of Physics and all that...

Why do you want a fanless high port count switch?   Industrial location?

JIm

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 160
Solutions: 7

[ Edited ]

I have the 24 port Unifi switch. Once you've upgraded the firmware, the fan will be off unless you let it get really hot.

Mine has never spun up besides when booting the switch. So in effect, it's fanless (silent)

Non PoE model of course.

Ubiquiti Unifi US-24

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

US-24 switch here and if it didnt spin up on reboot I wouldnt have even known it had a fan. It never comes on.