Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Fios & DVR & Gigabit Ethernet & Unifi USG & Unifi 16 Port Switch Unfi Controlled Version 5.5.19

To start off, I hate the Fios Router.  It's always just mucking up things.  So here is my current setup.

ONT -> USG WAN

USG LAN1 -> UNIFI SWITCH -> AP -> CLIENTS Subnet *.*.2.0/24

USG LAN2 -> FIOS ROUTER -> STB Subnet *.*.1.0/24

Everything is adopted and upgraded.  LAN1 works just fine.  I tried release canidate as well, and then tried stable beta.

Not surprisingly the Fios router, even though it sees the internet, it does not push DVR, Menus, or OnDemand content to the STB.

Problem 1:

I have tried setting up the firewall rules to allow communication between LAN1 and LAN2, but I could not get the subnets talking to eachother

I have tried letting USG be the DHCP server, that did not work.  So I turned that off and tried letting the FIOS router be the DHCP server, that also did not work, but it did find the STB.

Does anybody have a complete working solution there.  The help menu, really does not describe much in terms of how to really setup a USG.  It's probably something simple in the routing.

Problem 2:

The USG also does not seem to port forward anything.  Problem 1 and Problem 2 are probably the samething as I tend to be rather consistent on mucking stuff up myself.

This is obviously a home network, which has far too much stuff to manage.  Quite a bit of it is all wireless and is moves about the home, to the point where I kept over powering the FIOS router, and any of the store bought routers too Man Happy.  I love unifi, it would be swell if I could figure out how to setup the USG as outlined above.  I'll try pretty much any suggestion until we find a solution, as this is just a home network.

Ideally want USG to handle everything and further segment out the networks thus keeping FIOS in it's own little world pushing menus, DVR, and On-Demand with little to no concern with what it happening on LAN1.

Regards with thanks,

Jeff.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fios & DVR & Gigabit Ethernet & Unifi USG & Unifi 16 Port Switch Unfi Controlle

Figured it out.  I was making it far too complicated.

Unplug all ethernet cables (keep the COAX cable connected) from the FIOS router.  Factory reset the FIOS Router and login to admin area via the wireless FIOS AP.  Using a mobile phone is very helpful on this step.

My Network -> Network Connections -> Edit (Pencil) Network (Home/Office) -> Settings

Change IP Address to something in a subnet other than what USG is using on LAN1, and NOT 192.168.1.1/24 there is far too much complication on this subnet.  Just stay clear of it.  Adjust DHCP range in the fields below to match your new subnet and then be sure to press apply.

Reboot router by unplugging the power cord or by using reboot router from the advanced menu.  Then reconnect to FIOS over the FIOS AP.  Wait for the STB to show up in network devices and be assigned an IP address in the subnet range supplied above.  It takes a few minutes.

When that happens, head over to your USG controller (ideally not on the same mobile phone you are using to on FIOS).  Create a second network on a subnet which is not being used on LAN1, FIOS, or 192.168.1.1/24 check the LAN2 button and enable DHCP.  Remember to assign a range accordingly.  Save and wait for provisioning to complete.

When that completes, connect the WAN port of the FIOS Router to the LAN2 and reboot the FIOS router.  The white globe should glow steady white now.

Example:

USG *.*.2.1/24 on LAN1

FIOS *.*.3.1/24 on FIOS

USG *.*.4.1/24 on LAN2

Then reboot the STB.  It takes a while, and then it also takes a while for the guide and other data to populate.

When all that is working, connect back to the FIOS AP and turn on remote administration.  I choose 443, but when you point your unifi controller to the WAN ip *.*.4.* you will get a slash on the https credentials.  Proceed anyway and login.

My Network -> Network Connections -> Edit (Pencil) Network (Home/Office) -> Underlying Device

Disable both 2.4 and 5 Ghz access points, press apply for each one.  The order in which you do this does not matter.

Note: on your Unifi client list, the FIOS router will show up, but you will not see the STB.  You can if you allow subnet communication, but I prefer to keep Fios separate.

Hope this helps others.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Fios & DVR & Gigabit Ethernet & Unifi USG & Unifi 16 Port Switch Unfi Controlle

Unplug all ethernet cables (keep the COAX cable connected) from the FIOS router.  Factory reset the FIOS Router and login to admin area via the wireless FIOS AP.  Using a mobile phone is very helpful on this step.

My Network -> Network Connections -> Edit (Pencil) Network (Home/Office) -> Settings

Change IP Address to something in a subnet other than what USG is using on LAN1, and NOT 192.168.1.1/24 there is far too much complication on this subnet.  Just stay clear of it.  Adjust DHCP range in the fields below to match your new subnet and then be sure to press apply.

Reboot router by unplugging the power cord or by using reboot router from the advanced menu.  Then reconnect to FIOS over the FIOS AP.  Wait for the STB to show up in network devices and be assigned an IP address in the subnet range supplied above.  It takes a few minutes.

When that happens, head over to your USG controller (ideally not on the same mobile phone you are using to on FIOS).  Create a second network on a subnet which is not being used on LAN1, FIOS, or 192.168.1.1/24 check the LAN2 button and enable DHCP.  Remember to assign a range accordingly.  Save and wait for provisioning to complete.

When that completes, connect the WAN port of the FIOS Router to the LAN2 and reboot the FIOS router.  The white globe should glow steady white now.

Example:

USG *.*.2.1/24 on LAN1

FIOS *.*.3.1/24 on FIOS

USG *.*.4.1/24 on LAN2

Then reboot the STB.  It takes a while, and then it also takes a while for the guide and other data to populate.

When all that is working, connect back to the FIOS AP and turn on remote administration.  I choose 443, but when you point your unifi controller to the WAN ip *.*.4.* you will get a slash on the https credentials.  Proceed anyway and login.

My Network -> Network Connections -> Edit (Pencil) Network (Home/Office) -> Underlying Device

Disable both 2.4 and 5 Ghz access points, press apply for each one.  The order in which you do this does not matter.

Note: on your Unifi client list, the FIOS router will show up, but you will not see the STB.  You can if you allow subnet communication, but I prefer to keep Fios separate.

Hope this helps others.

Are you getting gigabit speed with the USG?

Just under according to the dashboard. 923 up/down. So close but I'm out in suburbia where the demand is likely lower.

I just got gig service and I was more concerned that the USG would be a bottleneck. I'd like to replace the g1100 I don't use anyway.
Kudos: 1

Out of curiosity did you see any speed benefits with the USG over the g1100? Thinking of going the same route (mostly to play with the USG but I digress)
Kudos: 25
Solutions: 6

I just did this. Network looks something like this..

ONT > (CAT6) > UniFi USG > US-8-60W > network (cloud controller, hard wired machines, AC-Mesh and UAC-AC-PRO).

With this config and DPI enabled I get anywhere from 820-950 Mbps up and 750-840 Mbps down. That is advertised and works like a charm.

I just got the USG-3 installed.  I'm only seeing 200mbish now.  I'll keep an eye on it but i'm a little disappointed right now.

Where are you testing this from? The speedtest within the UniFi controller tells me about 200 Mbps, while other speedtest websites give me what I should be getting (around 880 down and 920ish up).

That is with DPI on and the guest portal off. From what I heard, the guest portal takes up a lot of resources on the USG 3P so I never used it.

I concur. I am now getting about the same. 200-ish up and down. Added in the cloud-key migrated from the switch. Test conducted via the dashboard as well as from a hard wired Linux box. I don't have any data if the problem is from when I added the cloud-key or from USG finally started working right.

It's not exactly clear what the USG does above / instead of cloud-key. It gets rather toasty through.

Has anybody tried the usg-pro-4?

So I was not using the guest stuff. You are right I was getting 850+ from a hardwired host. Not sure why the controller only shows 200ish. Now 850 is right for me I rarely have ever gotten more then that so I'm ok now.

Yea. I am unsure either, but I know you can go into the controller software over SSH and manually trigger the speed test. Forgot which Python file it was... but when you manually trigger it, it will show you the location.

The USG 3P gets a little warm, but not as warm as a US-8-POE with two of the four POE ports being utilized :] I actually just moved my USW from my desk to the wall next to my USG 3P and the switch is much cooler. Not sure why...

[ Edited ]

@jausfeld Did you have to create any firewall rules or enable upnp in order to get VOD (On Demand) working with the STBs? I have a Quantum 1100 and while I followed the exact setup, I ran into issues when trying to watch videos on VOD, IE, it wouldn't play and would just return an error stating it could not load the content.

Example:

USG *.*.2.1/24 on LAN1

FIOS *.*.3.1/24 on FIOS

USG *.*.4.1/24 on LAN2

Hope this helps others.

View solution in original post

Kudos: 183
Solutions: 13

There's a much easier way to do this.  Connect the ONT ethernet port to your USG, call Verizon and tell them you want the Internet split out onto Ethernet.  Buy a MoCA bridge, plug the ethernet side into your switch, and the coax side to your splitter that feeds the whole house.  Verizon's STB's all use MoCA for network access (even though they have ethernet ports, they're disabled).  By putting a MoCA bridge on your coax in the house, you're allowing the STB's to get an IP address, which is what they need to get the guides and VOD.

Verizon specifically does not allow that in my area.  I would have thrown out that router months ago if it were an option.  Nice to hear that in some places there is some flexibility.

[ Edited ]

Give it some time.. from what I heard Verizon FIOS is no longer activating MoCA ethernet moving forward, and just CAT5e to the router + MoCA (for the STB).

@mpreissner exactly what I did, but I am using a TiVO now (I did have it like this for a few days). Due to the wiring Verizon did, the MoCA adapter worked without an issue. I did try some fun VLAN stuff to the MoCA adapter to I could have a WiFi, LAN and MoCA VLAN all separated out.. needless to say it caused a lot of issues and I just junked the VLAN for MoCA.

I assume the STB's, and the Quantum router are on a completely separate sub-net from your main network and the STB has been assigned an IP address in the sub-net range AND the fios quantum gateway appears on your list of clients with an IP address in the correct range should be *.*.4.1 (you will not see the STB's on the list).  If that has not happened then there is no shot of this working correctly.  I cannot stress it enough.  Any proper system equipment and that Quantum box do not get along, mostly because the quantum box wants to control the environment no matter how it is configured.  So it must be as isolated as possible.

To answer the question, I do not have any special firewall rules.  DNS, and ICMP are allowed, but that is standard.

In full disclosure, there is occasionally a small blip that you see in VOD content.  I think that blip is related to this setup but have not been able to track it down yet.  If you, or anybody else figures it out, please update us!