Highlighted
Accepted Solution

General Bandwidth Questions

Hi! I'm new to the community of networking and how it all sorta works. I'm pretty advanced in the basics of networking but one thing I cannot find the answer too is bandwidth, so here goes. 

With Fiber Internet lets say I had a DIA, with a 50x50 circuit, and maybe 100 people that use it pretty heavily, if I had big equipment would that bandwidth still go down with it's usage or is it that with better equipment bandwidth does not suffer? I'm super confused on how to word it but maybe one of you experts out there can enlighten me on this theoretical situation. 

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 589
Solutions: 198

Re: General Bandwidth Questions

That is how it works with any network equipment. You can solve this issue with rate-limiting.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204911354-UniFi-How-to-Set-Traffic-Bandwidth-Limits

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

View solution in original post

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes. But that is generally not necessary. 50Mbps goes a lot further than you would expect. Whole households are still running on 1.5-3Mbps in many parts of the world.

Most users will probably be idle most of the time and if you do have several devices demanding a lot from the network, you can use the above article to make the bandwidth usage fairer.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

I don't understand the question. A 50x50 circuit is just that. There can be some overhead, so you may not see exactly 50x50, but you should see close to that.

What type of "big equipment" are you talking about?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

[ Edited ]

Well from what I’ve read about bandwidth is that if somebody that’s using his Mac and is maybe watching a tv show or downloading a movie at 15mbps will make the total bandwidth for everyone on the 50x50 circuit only have 35mbps to share. Is this actually how it works or is that only on Coax networks? 

And big big equipment being like a USG-XG and the 16-XG aggregating a switch. 

Ubiquiti Employee

That is how it works with any network equipment. You can solve this issue with rate-limiting.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204911354-UniFi-How-to-Set-Traffic-Bandwidth-Limits

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

AH I see, so the only way to give everybody a 50x50 network would be to get nearly 1-2 gbps?

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes. But that is generally not necessary. 50Mbps goes a lot further than you would expect. Whole households are still running on 1.5-3Mbps in many parts of the world.

Most users will probably be idle most of the time and if you do have several devices demanding a lot from the network, you can use the above article to make the bandwidth usage fairer.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

Ah, ok. Thanks for your help, Sir. Much appreciated!