Re: Gigabit ISP, USG slowing me down

maxolsson wrote:

That's weird, I'm running the exact same versions (5.4.11.2 / 4.3.34.4943823) but I have no problems hitting 900+ Mbps. Did you check the offload status in the CLI?

Offload is fine.  I did some more tests it appears the built in speed test is broken.  I hit about 700-800 now with my laptop hardwired.  It's still not as fast as the router my ISP sent me.  Weird thing is if I chain the USG off the ISP modem, double NAT, I get closer to 950 on the USG but if I get rid of the ISP modem my speed drops.  

Kudos: 303
Solutions: 13

Just adding my 2 cents to the discussion.

I noticed early on in the discussion that Flow Control was off on the USG.  Is this still the case?

I ask because the most glaring of the problems being seen are on the upload.  Since I'm guessing that the systems involved are 10G+ PON type systems, upload traffic has to be buffered and sent in an assigned window.  So the send buffer is already getting a work out.  If you attempt to upload faster than the PON system can handle without Flow Control, it would be quite easy at gigabit speeds to overrun the transmit buffer in the fiber modem.  At those speeds, even one lost packet will hammer the connection.  As illustrated in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3649, with standard TCP and a latency of 100ms your receive window has to be over 8000 packets long to achieve gigabit speeds.  Loose one packet and 8000 packets are wasted and must be retransmitted at a slower pace.  It's far better under these conditions to delay a few packets than to drop one.

Dreams never hurt. It's when they turn into expectations that you get problems.

[ Edited ]

I have a Comcast Gigabit Internet link... on my Watchguard firewall I get about 770 down, while my USG is arround 300 on a good day. USG is fully patched to latest firmware and my setup allows me to swith gateways back and forth by just changing my workstation's gateway IP -- it's consistant. My solution may be to use my Watchguard as a primary firewall (and pay the $1200/yr for live security) and hang the USG off of it for the wirless system only so I can get the reporting. Granted that the Watchguard is an enterprize class device but really?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

[ Edited ]

I would get 900 down with my usg until I downgraded at work, something is not right.  I mean granted we have a fiber connection in.   Make sure you have the rack mount pro too.  

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

My network is Xfinity Gateway>USG-3P (on version 4.4.12.5032482)>UniFi Managed PoE+ Gigabit 24 Port Switch>UniFi AP-AC-HD and ethernet-connected clients. Xfinity gateway is in bridge mode with WiFi turned off.

I just upgraded my Comcast internet service from Blast 150 to Gigabit. My 2015 MacBook Pro connected via ethernet directly to the Xfinity gateway gets 950Mbps. Computers connected to the network by ethernet, downline from USG-3P and UniFi switch, get 300 to 400Mbps. Devices on WiFi get about the same, 300 to 400Mbps. 

DPI is on. No huge difference with DPI off.

(Post edited for clarity.) Any suggestions for speeding this up?

Emerging Member

There are so many places to start with this, there was a post about this topic somewhere.  Sounds like the gateway is working as it should be but kind of crazy wireless gets more than lan.  

SuperUser
Kudos: 10696
Solutions: 658
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

300-400 Mb is expected for a USG 3 depending on what you are having it do.   It's a $119 device after all.   The USG Pro will do much more, close to a full Gig with DPI etc. off, probably 600+ with all the features on.   If you need more than that you need something bigger - like the USG-XG which is in Beta/EA right now.   Plus it costs less than what you're paying yearly for the Watchguard, and with 8-10Gb ports will run rings around it too...

But you can't really compare a $119 firewall appliance to a multi-$thousand unit  ;-)

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 9

[ Edited ]

So I am a little confused by some of this. I have a USG (non Pro). Gigabit WAN from Xfinity.

Is the USG non Pro and/or USG Pro supposed to be able to fully support Gigabit?

My network is nothing special and I do not have QoS (Smart Queues) on.

Plugged directly into the modem I'm getting 900+ Mbps. Plugging into a factory reset (clean) USG I'm getting in the 600s.

What gives? Does Ubiquiti have another product which would give me the full speed (the Edge line maybe)??

Kudos: 37
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

I feel like some truly terrible advice is being given to upgrade. The USG is capable of symmetrical gigabit, even with DPI enabled. The Pro is not needed for something like this. I wsa pleasantly surprised to see how well it handled gigabit Internet speeds.

I don't know specifically what the issue is, but it sounds like some hardware offloading was shut off. I am the latest (as of this posting) public firmware and controller software.

I've attached my speed test. It is inline with iperf tests locally within my network if not 10Mbps slower.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

[ Edited ]

zakird wrote:

So I am a little confused by some of this. I have a USG (non Pro). Gigabit WAN from Xfinity.

Is the USG non Pro and/or USG Pro supposed to be able to fully support Gigabit?

My network is nothing special and I do not have QoS (Smart Queues) on.

Plugged directly into the modem I'm getting 900+ Mbps. Plugging into a factory reset (clean) USG I'm getting in the 600s.

What gives? Does Ubiquiti have another product which would give me the full speed (the Edge line maybe)??

Check hardware offloading.

show ubnt offload

IP offload module   : loaded
IPv4
  forwarding: enabled
  vlan      : enabled
  pppoe     : enabled
  gre       : disabled
IPv6
  pppoe     : disabled

IPSec offload module: loaded

Traffic Analysis    :
IPv4
  pppoe     : enabled
  gre       : disabled
  export    : disabled
  dpi       : enabled
IPSec offload module: loaded

Capture4.PNG
Emerging Member
Kudos: 49

[ Edited ]

That is incorrect.

I have many USG 3P out in the field, all managed my my cloud unifi server. Speedtest on the unifi are inaccurate, the USG 3P can only generate about 300 to 400 mbps of traffic so i dont trust those results.

But when i remote desktop or Logmein to one of my customers machine i run speedtests on both speedtest.net using a know high capacity test server or fast.com and i can see 700 to 950 mbps speeds.

I personally use a USG 3P at home and have Verizon Residential FIOS and i get average of 800Mbps constantly.

[ Edited ]

To add to this, I get this using a public iperf3 server on the USG:

iperf3.exe -c iperf.he.net -P 32

[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.03 GBytes   883 Mbits/sec                  sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  1003 MBytes   841 Mbits/sec                  receiver

Thats not bad, considering.

Kudos: 7

[ Edited ]

I have the very same issue. Getting 950Mbps when plugged directly into the cable modem and 750Mbps when I am plugged into the LAN port on the USG 3P. DPI is disabled, so is Smart Queues. I am at a loss as to why it's dropping 200Mbps.

Controller Version: 5.6.29

USG version: 4.4.12.5032482

Were you able to find a solution for your setup to get >900Mbps out of the USG?

Emerging Member

I know the pro is the only one that I believe they said that will reach 1 gig down.   On my pro, i never had a problem with speed, if my guess it has to use something for the LAN traffic and it is overloading the usg so you will never see that with it.  Just a guess really.  

[ Edited ]

rforrest wrote:

I know the pro is the only one that I believe they said that will reach 1 gig down.   On my pro, i never had a problem with speed, if my guess it has to use something for the LAN traffic and it is overloading the usg so you will never see that with it.  Just a guess really.  

That can't be right. See a few posts above. I am reaching gigabit down and up (you also have to acocunt for overhead) with the USG non-pro, even with DPI enabled.

I know there were issues about a year ago, but UBNT has since fixed the hardware offloading issues.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Sure I guess, maybe you are one in a few but most the ones that are having the problem are the non pro users, yet if you see my "this is just a guess" part.  I  lost the post where they unifi said something about it.  

If that is the case that it is the user EQQ and people hate to hear that.  

[ Edited ]

rforrest wrote:

Sure I guess, maybe you are one in a few but most the ones that are having the problem are the non pro users, yet if you see my "this is just a guess" part.  I  lost the post where they unifi said something about it.  

If that is the case that it is the user EQQ and people hate to hear that.  

I do like feeling special in being one of the "few", but I can't believe that I am a unique or even rare circumstance. We need someone from UBNT to weigh in, really.

Kudos: 1

I am one of the people using the non-pro USG-3 and for the last week I had been unable to access gigabit speeds on my network after an upgrade to Comcast gigabit.

My network is Xfinity Gateway>USG>24 Port UniFi managed switch>UniFi AP-AC-HD and ethernet-connected clients.

At the USG configuration>Advanced, the checkboxes for Hardware Offload had always been checkmarked.

But I changed a setting in the UniFi managed switch: in Configuration>Services I checked boxes for Jumbo Frames and Enable Flow Control.

My download speed increased from 350Mbps to 825Mbps.

Not sure if this is the significant settings change but my speeds have increased.

jumboframe.png

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I don't have jumbo frames enabled (and it shouldn't help anyway unless your ISP and wifi adapter support  and use them), but maybe its a clue. Perhaps the switch reprovisioning is what took care of it? Those who cant get gig on the USG, have you tried going directly to the router and bypassing any switch?

Kudos: 420
Solutions: 12

[ Edited ]

It should be noted that Flow Control can cause all sorts of problems with transfer speeds if craptastic drivers on the client don't handle it properly.  I've personally seen a broken ethernet card fail to transfer at even 100BT speeds on a gigabit switch when flow control was off, and vice versa.

IOW, toggle your Flow Control settings between off and on, reprovision the switch, then try your perf tests again. 

[ Edit: I should note I've seen this kind of behavior more then a few times over the past ~ 20 years, esp on the c6500 and other cisco cat switches ]