Kudos: 36
Solutions: 1

Re: Gigabit ISP, USG slowing me down

@Silverado wrote:

Do you know the model of your Intel Nic? Is it in the I-21* family?

I won’t know until I get home tonight. It’s whatever is onboard the gigabyte gaming k7 (z270 chipset).

[ Edited ]

@Silverado wrote:

Do you know the model of your Intel Nic? Is it in the I-21* family?

Intel 1219-V. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

Well i guess my theory is a moot point now. As you are using the same family of nic i had issues with and now mine is fine.

I also did some more testing last nite. Now mind you, i have re-enabled and tested numerous times since i built this rig back in Nov2017. Also upgraded the bios 3x since then to no avail. Before i did anything last nite, i just re-enabled and tested. Still had only 10% of connection. Found a new bios that is only 3 weeks old and upgraded again. Booted back into windows and tested.....again. Lo and Behold i now have full speed back with the intel I-219v. I also found a new driver to test. I updated the driver and speed dropped to half of my connection. Rolled back to working driver. I have another computer sitting right next to me with a realtek nic so i can make sure its the system and not the net connection. The other computer never faltered during the tests. Ive never had such a wonky speed difference/hardware issue on any other Intel family of nics. Thanks for indulging my weird idea @adrjersch

@Silverado wrote:

Well i guess my theory is a moot point now. As you are using the same family of nic i had issues with and now mine is fine.

I also did some more testing last nite. Now mind you, i have re-enabled and tested numerous times since i built this rig back in Nov2017. Also upgraded the bios 3x since then to no avail. Before i did anything last nite, i just re-enabled and tested. Still had only 10% of connection. Found a new bios that is only 3 weeks old and upgraded again. Booted back into windows and tested.....again. Lo and Behold i now have full speed back with the intel I-219v. I also found a new driver to test. I updated the driver and speed dropped to half of my connection. Rolled back to working driver. I have another computer sitting right next to me with a realtek nic so i can make sure its the system and not the net connection. The other computer never faltered during the tests. Ive never had such a wonky speed difference/hardware issue on any other Intel family of nics. Thanks for indulging my weird idea @adrjersch

Wow that is some truly bizarre behavior. 

Highlighted
Emerging Member

I know bro. Ive got a realtek PCI-X card that i replaced it with in it now so i just re-enabled that and disabled it. I dont trust it at all. Something is fishy in denmark for sure.

Not noticing an issue with the nic compatibility. 3 different computers all showing the same speeds. Now they are even slower. 150mbps. What is going on?

Emerging Member

I went into full detail in my posts from the last 2 pages. Its been rectified. Its a flaky onboard nic. nothing to do with any incompatibilities.

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same issue on my brand new pretty setup of a USG-PRO4US.  What's killing me is I do this for a living and I'm on a job that the client just upgrade to a 1 gigabit line for their business...and I'm peaking out at 930ish direct from modem and 280 through USG.  It also is an instant 800+ direct from the modem...yet the USG pro4 starts slow...speeds up slowly...and caps out at 260 to 280 with much higher ms than my old Asus RT-AC88U.  Please address this Ubiquiti...I've read through 50+ threads about the same issue...no luck.

UPDATE...

Just used dslreports.com to do the speed test and I'm getting full speeds.  I apologize for adding fuel to the fire.  When I check with speedtest.net I get garbage speeds.  I do get higher speeds from speedtest.net direct to modem but whoopdedoo.  I will test the other 2 sites tomorrow that I've installed USGPRO4US units into.

Use DSLreports.com!!

Speedtest.net gives me half of the speed if that.

I used all speed testing sites and they all say the same thing for me. Peak of 700 and avg of 400. Direct connect is 987~.

Re:987, anything over 945 or so, is probably not accurate. 

That said, have you tried iperf?

Kudos: 386
Solutions: 12

So, out of curiosity, all of you who are having serious perf issues through the USG - are you only doing your tests in Windows?

Boot from a Linux LiveCD and do your speed tests using iperf3, or the command line speedtest client.  If you don't know how to use Linux for testing...  Now is a great time to learn!  Windows is atrocious for driver support and all sorts of 'tweaks' Microsoft made to the TCP/IP stack have fun results with crappy drivers from vendors.

I've been diagnosing weird performance issues from a client that doesn't have a USG/ER that has been having performance all over the place.  We had different computers showing varying results.  Some got fixed with replacing the integrated NIC with a PCIe Intel gigabit NIC, some upgrading the drivers for the Broadcom NetXTreme, and one had an antivirus package that did SSL interception transparently and seriously crippled the speeds through the computer.

Pretty much anything gigabit Realtek, some early Atheros types, anything NForce, all had trouble trying to sustain decent speeds doing transfers over the LAN.  Should probably also include anything AMD APU based in that list too - several of the budget HP 'desktops' (really just a laptop in a desktop case) weren't able to even do 300mbit via the LAN due to their integrated NICs being on a bandwidth starved PCIe bus.

@brielle wrote:

So, out of curiosity, all of you who are having serious perf issues through the USG - are you only doing your tests in Windows?

Boot from a Linux LiveCD and do your speed tests using iperf3, or the command line speedtest client.  If you don't know how to use Linux for testing...  Now is a great time to learn!  Windows is atrocious for driver support and all sorts of 'tweaks' Microsoft made to the TCP/IP stack have fun results with crappy drivers from vendors.

I've been diagnosing weird performance issues from a client that doesn't have a USG/ER that has been having performance all over the place.  We had different computers showing varying results.  Some got fixed with replacing the integrated NIC with a PCIe Intel gigabit NIC, some upgrading the drivers for the Broadcom NetXTreme, and one had an antivirus package that did SSL interception transparently and seriously crippled the speeds through the computer.

Pretty much anything gigabit Realtek, some early Atheros types, anything NForce, all had trouble trying to sustain decent speeds doing transfers over the LAN.  Should probably also include anything AMD APU based in that list too - several of the budget HP 'desktops' (really just a laptop in a desktop case) weren't able to even do 300mbit via the LAN due to their integrated NICs being on a bandwidth starved PCIe bus.

Actually, Windows 10 has been consistently faster with networking speeds than any version of Linux I’ve tried (I’ve run several and currently run Arch) or MacOS. 

Kudos: 119
Solutions: 13

As a general rule of thumb, I run two commands on any Windows machine that is 7 or higher...

In an administrative command prompt -

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted

This will prevent Windows from doing weird and wonderful things to the network and gives better consistency especially with always connected accounting packages.

Kudos: 386
Solutions: 12

@wizard155 wrote:

As a general rule of thumb, I run two commands on any Windows machine that is 7 or higher...

In an administrative command prompt -

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted

This will prevent Windows from doing weird and wonderful things to the network and gives better consistency especially with always connected accounting packages.

Quickbooks and/or Act?

A few years ago I spent a long while trying to diagnose why $customer's computers were agonizingly slow while accessing Act,  Turned out the auto tuning and QoS in Windows 2008 went off the deep end with the virtual 10G virtIO NICs under KVM.  Yay Windows Server.

@adrjersch wrote:

I have not tried iperf, because not that worried about a 1-8% accuaracy increase in speed tests. If I am only able to receive 30-70% part of the time and 10-29% the majority of the time of full bandwidth, then that is a severe issue that minor accuracy observation will not help much. I have an ASUS RT-66U that gets better speeds than this "enterprise" router(840mbps). All signs are pointing to issue with firmware. 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-Gigabit-Speed-Problem/m-p/2425781/highligh...

Above thread was fixed with a beta firmware. Same issue are many others.

[ Edited ]

@falconpunch wrote:

@adrjersch wrote:

I have not tried iperf, because not that worried about a 1-8% accuaracy increase in speed tests. If I am only able to receive 30-70% part of the time and 10-29% the majority of the time of full bandwidth, then that is a severe issue that minor accuracy observation will not help much. I have an ASUS RT-66U that gets better speeds than this "enterprise" router(840mbps). All signs are pointing to issue with firmware. 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-Gigabit-Speed-Problem/m-p/2425781/highligh...

Above thread was fixed with a beta firmware. Same issue are many others.

You don’t need to explain to me. I’ve been trying to help for a while  unlike UBNT. The point of iperf is to see if you get good speeds. Browser based pseed tests are toys really. I get largely varying results between different OSes and even browsers  but iperf is consistent between them. If you are certain it’s the firmware, give it a shot. I don’t think it’s the silver bullet. 

Kudos: 98

[ Edited ]

I am using the same NIC and getting Gig speeds (1000/100) via ISP with Antergos. No iPerf testing, however.

Screenshot from 2018-07-19 02-15-58.png

-OnTheGrind
Kudos: 5

I just wanted to add my experience to this thread. Ubnt-based network here at home and I recently upgraded my service to gigabit (Comcast/Xfinity). Arris SB8200 -> USG3 (4.4.22) -> Unifi Switch 24 (3.9.42) -> iMac Pro

It seemed to be getting full speeds when I was testing some software update downloads but I wasn't sure. The Xfinity speed test and speedtest.net were all maxing out in the 600-700 range but as suggested by someone above, I was hitting around 900 with the dslreports speed test. I'm consistently achieving the gigabit-spec speeds now as far as the dslreports tester is concerned.

Kudos: 2

I'm having similar issues with my USG3 to the others described here, and am at a loss for what to do.

First, I set up iperf3 on two Win 10 machines, one plugged into my USW24 (Uplinks to USG LAN1) and the other plugged into USG LAN2 on the USG with a Corporate network enabled. I get my line-rate 940Mb/s down.

Then I take the USG and the rest of my gear out of the loop entirely and go straight from cable modem to a Win10 machine and run dslreports speedtest and immediately get my line-rate of 940Mb/s down.

Then I put the cable modem back into WAN on the USG, and it slowly ramps connection speed to a result consistently around 589Mb/s down. I haven't replicated the speedtests on my linux NAS, but have noticed similar caps on my download throughput.

All hardware offloads are enable, DPI is on. The USG is running 4.4.26.5102846. I do some explicit port forwarding, I have a few VLANs and rules set up (One is set as Guest but no portal enabled, another is for IoT, another is the main vlan for my trusted devices).

It's cleary not my ISP or modem. It's clearly not an overall transfer rate issue with the USG because it doesn't happen between LAN1 and LAN2 with iperf3. What could it be? Really bummed to upgrade to gigabit and then be held back by my Unifi router.

2018-08-11-BPC9-MAIN.pnglinespeed.pngwithusg.png

Kudos: 2

As an update, I ordered a newer hardware USG (my current one is a version with the labelled VOIP port) for same day delivery.

When it comes i'm going to try cable modem wired to new, unadopted USG, to computer and see what the performance is. Then I'm going to adopt it and see if performance changes.