Re: Gigabit ISP, USG slowing me down

Hi adrjersch 

Kudos: 36
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

hscheil wrote:

Hi adrjersch 

So I am using symmetrical fiber and don't have a modem. Could that have anything to do with it? I know when I used Cox gigablast with docsis 3.1, I was had trouble getting 1gig down.

Kudos: 1

Astute observation, adjersch... why would my speeds increase after enabling Jumbo Frames and Flow Control? Maybe just reprovisioning the switch had something to do with it. To answer your question, no I never connected directly to the output of the USG- I only took a onetime baseline speedtest from the Xfinity Gateway (no router) and subsequent speedtests from the ethernet-connected UniFi switch.

I disabled Jumbo Frames and Flow Control features on the UniFi switch and retested my speeds... a slight decrease but faster than they had been originally.

To recap: I was getting about 950Mbps down with direct connection to Xfinity Gateway (no router). Now getting about 800Mbps down with ethernet connection to UniFi managed switch. Last week I was getting 250 to 400Mbps down with ethernet connection to UniFi managed switch.

The following speed tests are so close to being the same they are probably insignificant, but here they are:

WITH JUMBO FRAMES and FLOW CONTROL AT UNIFI SWITCH ENABLED:

Screenshot 2018-01-15 08.20.46.png

WITH JUMBO FRAMES and FLOW CONTROL AT UNIFI SWITCH DISABLED:

Screenshot 2018-01-15 08.23.12.png

Kudos: 6

adrjersch wrote:

hscheil wrote:

Hi adrjersch 

So I am using symmetrical fiber and don't have a modem. Could that have anything to do with it? I know when I used Cox gigablast with docsis 3.1, I was had trouble getting 1gig down.

Not sure about that. I am just going by the basics of "cable modem gets me 950Mbps consistent" and "once USG is getting that traffic, it chops off 200Mbps". Maybe there is some sort of incompatibility between the Netgear modem and the USG. I'll do some more research on that. If anybody else has any ideas, let me know. Ubiquiti support is also working on this.

Kudos: 9

[ Edited ]

hscheil wrote: Not sure about that. I am just going by the basics of "cable modem gets me 950Mbps consistent" and "once USG is getting that traffic, it chops off 200Mbps". Maybe there is some sort of incompatibility between the Netgear modem and the USG. I'll do some more research on that. If anybody else has any ideas, let me know. Ubiquiti support is also working on this.

I have pretty much the same setup, and can't seem to hit that magical 1Gbps number. I even RMA'd my first USG, as I had read some posts about possibly bad hardware, but the replacement still only gets to about 750Mbps with all hardware offloading enabled, and DPI. 

Not that I really need the additional ~200Mbps, but I figure if I'm paying for it, it makes sense to at least have access to it. 

agentdr8 wrote:

hscheil wrote: Not sure about that. I am just going by the basics of "cable modem gets me 950Mbps consistent" and "once USG is getting that traffic, it chops off 200Mbps". Maybe there is some sort of incompatibility between the Netgear modem and the USG. I'll do some more research on that. If anybody else has any ideas, let me know. Ubiquiti support is also working on this.

I have pretty much the same setup, and can't seem to hit that magical 1Gbps number. I even RMA'd my first USG, as I had read some posts about possibly bad hardware, but the replacement still only gets to about 750Mbps with all hardware offloading enabled, and DPI. 

Not that I really need the additional ~200Mbps, but I figure if I'm paying for it, it makes sense to at least have access to it. 

I am down to level 3 support at Ubiquiti at this point and they have me run all kinds of tests. If there is a resolution to this, I'll post it here. I also ordered a new USG 3P to see if it's a hardware issue - just as a parallel track to figure this out.

Please do follow up here with your additional findings. I won't have time to pursue this until next month but my next steps were to swap out my USG 3P for an Edge or other router and check results.

Hello all, 

Newbie here, I started with the first few pages of this thread, then came to the last, trying to see what is going on with a Gibabit ISP connection and the USG with slow down. I don't own any UBNT products yet, but I'm close to pulling the trigger and trying to decide what is best for me and my needs. I have the Cox ISP Gigablast and would want to get the most out of that connection and I don't get consistent 900/900ish speeds. Its looking like some are having issues with the USG and USG Pro? 

Are there units out there that don't have issues getting the Gigabit speeds? Or are these just some random cases with the USG/USG Pro? I'm following the thread now to see some of these resloutions or progress. Thanks for everyone involved here working to help.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

I think most have the usg 3, I have the pro and it works just like it should, but I am on a fiber switch from my isp too.  I have 3 of these on my sites and work fine.  

[ Edited ]

I have the Cox Gigablast and its fiber from ONT to Modem, I think I said that right, fiber from their unit in the yard, to the side of my house and into my house and to the modem. Which the modem is an Alcatel Lucent Modem (or is it an ONT)? from there its CAT6 to my current router a TP-Link AC5400 MU-MIMO TriBand, and from there its CAT5 through the walls of my house (put in when built), then CAT6 to unmanged Netgear switches or directly into my MacPro where I run these tests. 

I want to replace the TP-Link and Netgear stuff with the Ubiquiti USG or USG Pro, once I can feel good about getting the Gigabit speed after hitting the USG. So I'm following along here to see how others are fairing.

Guess I could just try out a USG or Pro and see how it works, go from there...was hoping to avoid a lot of troubleshooting.

I'd rather just get the USG-3 if it will handle my gigabit ISP speeds, otherwise the USG-4 is on my list.

I've seen conflicting posts that it does handle it and some that it doesn't...the specs make it sound like it should?

Alcatel_lucent_ONT_lights.jpg

wrote:

I'd rather just get the USG-3 if it will handle my gigabit ISP speeds, otherwise the USG-4 is on my list.

I've seen conflicting posts that it does handle it and some that it doesn't...the specs make it sound like it should?

In theory the USG-3 should handle gigabit WAN speeds, and some here have no problem achieving that. Others, like myself and few more, seem to have trouble getting close to 900-950Mbps through the USG, but can hit that just fine when going directly from the cable modem. I'm on my second USG-3, and it doesn't appear to perform any differently than my previous one, which can muster about 750Mbps tops with all hardware offloading enabled, and DPI turned on. DPI doesn't appear to affect the speed at all though. 

Maybe it's just something with our particular setups, or possibly with Xfinity, as they seem to be a common ISP across the issues. I'm not too concerned, but I would definitely love it if I could use all the bandwidth I'm paying for. 

Any updates on this? Topping out around 700 via USG (no switch inbetween) but 950 directly connected to my modem.

Xfinitinity 1Gbps service

Modem = Motorola MB8600

@zakirdwrote:

Any updates on this? Topping out around 700 via USG (no switch inbetween) but 950 directly connected to my modem.

Xfinitinity 1Gbps service

Modem = Motorola MB8600

After talking to 3 different Ubiquiti support team members including the support lead for the UniFi suite of products it comes down to this:

1) They acknowledge that there have been a number of reports regarding this issue but they deem the number too small to investigate with their engineering resources considering the number of Unifi customers that are out there.

2) I've been asked to run a myriad of speed tests on different configurations and then was told "well, we don't really trust those speed tests"

3) I was asked to buy a different router than the USG to see if it improves things (yes, I was chuckling, too). I didn't even respond to that suggestion.

Or in summary: After numerous tests to investigate an issue that they admitted is an issue others have as well, I gave up because I don't have as many hours available to waste on analyzing their faulty firmware.

Kudos: 36

[ Edited ]

Did you get names? I've a hard time believing they have such a cavalier attitude towards it. On a side note, I believethat if you brought your USG over to my house, I would get gig up and down.

It seems to revolve around certain gig service providers, though I don't understand why.

@UBNT-cmb

@adrjerschwrote:

Did you get names? I've a hard time believing they have such a cavalier attitude towards it. On a side note, I believethat if you brought your USG over to my house, I would get gig up and down.

It seems to revolve around certain gig service providers, though I don't understand why.

@UBNT-cmb

For what it's worth, here's the last reply that I got, maybe it helps some of you. I do have names but I don't think they need to be published here. 

I suspect that this may have to do with some level of incompatibility between Comcast/Xfinity Gigabit and Unifi's USG.  @UBNT-cmb, can you speak to how much testing the UBNT Unifi team has done against Comcast/Xfinity Gigabit?

2018-02-25_13-48-53.png

I have the same issue with Comcast Xfinity Gigabit.

I have replaced an EdgeRouter PoE with the USG. I was getting consistently >940 down with the EdgeRouter and now <700 on USG. I am changing all settings available back and forth for the past 3 days but I guess I have to return the USG because it looks like this is an unsolved issue since January. I use an Arris 8200 modem and I get 950-960 when connected directly to the modem.

Any answer from UBNT would be appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I just got gigabit service as well and my USG 3 was maxing out around 750Mbps down and 800 upload on speedtest.net's site and app. 

I ended up disabling all hardware offload and noticed that dropped things way down to the 100Mbps range. Then I re-enabled all hardware offload features and I'm hitting low 900s down 920s upload now. This speeds are what I'm seeing direct plugged into a PC bypassing all my networking equipment, so I think I'm finally seeing the full potential of my gigabit service with the USG 3.

Hello. Unfortunately I don't have the same results as joutlaw in that toggling off and on all hardware offload did not increase my speed. The only setting I've discovered that increases my network speed is to turn off DPI. With DPI off, my WiFi download speed almost doubles. 

With some free time over the holiday I hope to pull out the USG and perform speed tests using a different router and I'll report any significant findings here.

I also tried toggling off and on all hardware offload settings. No change in speed. I get 750 occasionally as opposed to >900 consistently on the Edgerouter. No change with DPI on or off.

Kudos: 2

I have same problem.

Using Gb fiber internet at home from M1 in Singapore. Using my Linksys or ASUS routers I get 600-800 Mbps from the router and 400Mbps via wifi.

Using USG, the speed test in the console is max 200Mbps. From Wifi client I get about the same, At times slightly better by 10-20Mbps, but not as much as expected.