Accepted Solution

HELP! Unifi 48 port is locked up - restarting does nothing.

I have had a Unifi 48 port 500w switch in production for six months or so. The switch just locked up. I have no connectivity in my entire organization.

I unplugged the switch let it sit for a few minutes then plugged it back in. The LEDs on the switch return to the exact pattern they were in when it first locked up.

Now my boss is wondering why none of our employees are working and I look like a fool because there is absolutely no customer service phone number to call. So I filled out a form on the website and the response I got back was fantastic:

Note: In an effort to upgrade our support services, we will be changing offices and will have limited support available from Friday Aug 21st thru Tuesday Aug 25th. In the meantime, we encourage you to connect with thousands of users via the Ubiquiti Community via http://community.ubnt.com. Ubiquiti employees will also be online to help on the Community, and we apologize for any inconvenience during our move.

Can anyone please help me? Or give me any advice on how to reach Ubiquiti?

My name is Arron Lorenz, and my phone number is 309-751-4513

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 90
Solutions: 13

Re: HELP! Unifi 48 port is locked up - restarting does nothing.

mine did this a few weeks ago.  I ended up having to RMA it. no fan noise, no activity.  straight to this after applying power.

you might have a dud, but only Support can tell you that for sure.

2015-07-16 19.09.57.jpg

UEWA - UBWA Certified

Serving the Monterey Bay, CA
http://mbay.it

View solution in original post

All Replies

do a factory reset?  THIS WILL WIPE YOUR SETTINGS

UEWA - UBWA Certified

Thank you for replying to my post. I followed the instructions on this page to factory reset.

https://wiki.ubnt.com/Reset_to_Factory_Defaults

Press and hold reset button. Then apply power. I continued to hold the reset button and nothing changed. LEDs are still configured in the same manner as they were in the moment of the crash.

mine did this a few weeks ago.  I ended up having to RMA it. no fan noise, no activity.  straight to this after applying power.

you might have a dud, but only Support can tell you that for sure.

2015-07-16 19.09.57.jpg

UEWA - UBWA Certified

Kudos: 7

Do you have all the station patch cables currently plugged into the switch? If you do, its possible something on the station side is causing the issue. You can either try to unplug everything from the switch except your computer and see if the switch resumes operation or what I would do is unplug 5 at a time to isolate.

Your photo is very similar to mine. I'm going to attempt to remove all plugs and see if anything changes.

I removed all the patch cables I still get the same pattern of LEDs. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I can get a 48 port POE switch before Monday in Iowa?

Kudos: 7

Worth a shot to try another factory reset now that all cables are removed if you havent already. 

I would get on the phone with a distributer NOW so that they can overnight one to you.  West coast is still open.  considering the price of these things, you should always have one laying around...

UEWA - UBWA Certified

I just wanted to say thank you again to the community memebers that gave tips, and showed the picture that had the same problem as mine.

Update:

I received an email reply from Priscilia at 5:30 CDT on Friday. I was asked to attempt to factory reset the device which I had already done. I replied with a link to this thread so she could catch up on what the community had already recommended that I try.

It is now 2:00 pm CDT on Monday and I have yet to receive a reply. 

It is clear from the image in this thread that I am having the same issue as the other person with the LEDs that are locked on. I have attached a picture of my switch before I removed the patch cables. The same LEDs stay on even with all patch cables removed. 

I was unbelievably lucky that a good friend of mine still had our old 48 port POE switch that I had sold to him. He brought it over and we got back up and running. This is the same switch that powered our network for that last 8 years without issue. 

I cannot describe how disappointed I am with the customer service from Ubiquity.

2015-08-21 17.03.28.jpg

I totally get what you are saying...

BUT that is one of the reasons that UBNT is so cheap.

Want Cisco level support, pay Cisco prices.  (don't mean to be a smart-ass here.  just calling it the way I see it.)

UEWA - UBWA Certified

Thanks for you input. I see that you've taken the time to tell us twice that because of the price I should have either bought two or that we shouldn't expect the company to support the product. 

I choose Ubiquity because of the great experiences that I have had in the past with their other equipment. I really enjoyed having a single web interface to help me manage my network. Having the software controlling the USG, Switch, and Wireless was fantastic. 

While I appreciate you taking the time to chime in. Saying "You should have bought Cisco" isn't helpful.

Perhaps it's not helpful, but you are also not being realistic with your expectations.  (i forgot that I mentioned spares before)

I think it is great gear.  I love the price point, features, and general quality of the gear.  Once in a while you get a dud.  I'm just saying that you have to be prepared for that dud. 

And for what it is worth, even if you had a 48port PoE from cisco that blew out, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been replaced during the time frame you needed it unless you had a massive support contract on that thing.

You just had unfortunate timing, and the only thing that saved your butt is that you had a somewhat available spare in your area.  Complaining about support during non-business hours is silly.  if you do the math, you're still withing the 24 (business) hours response time that UBNT is aiming for...

UEWA - UBWA Certified

I never expected to have a replacment switch by today. Although there was enough time to have one shipped out Friday and arrive here Monday morning. That isn't the issue at all.

You solved my problem about 20 minutes after I posted this thread. It took me finally contacting UBNT via Facebook to have someone from Ubiquiti tell me it was a dud and that they would approve the RMA. 

It is amazing that 10 minutes of communication with a human from their company got a solution in place and an RMA in process.

The rest of what you said is spot on. The lack of accessability to their support department is the issue. I can attest that you do not have to be a multi billion dollar company to provide good customer support. I can also say that, at least with my customers, 5-10 minutes on the phone beats out 2 days of email.

Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 50
Contributions: 38

Hey Arron,
I was working with you on FB. Thanks for the feedback for the support team. Last Friday was a bit influx as we moved our support office this past weekend to upgrade support, and we added that note to the confirmation email so customers were aware. Our support team was back online in full force Monday morning.

Apologies for the inconvenience and I'm sorry you didn't get an answer until Monday from support, as mentioned in my notes to you, we do recommend keeping a spare on hand as any RMA process typically has a 1-2 week turnaround time. Hope the new switch lasts 8 years for you and you don't have to go thru the process again, but not a bad idea to keep a spare for mission critical equipment. Enjoy the new switch, you'll have it on Wednesday, HTH!

Cheers,
Austin