Kudos: 1

Having serious issues with UniFi Security Gateway 3P - Freezes everyday!

Ok, so over the past few years I've really fallen in love with Ubiquiti. Their wireless products are amazing and seem to always be one step ahead of everyone else. My background is in IT networking and by default I'm a Cisco fanboy (I'm a Cisco CCNP). But I decided it was time to change things up and I just made my apartment an Ubiquiti apartment! That's how much I love this company!

Ok, so the only thing that I'm having a serious issue with is the Security Gateway 3P. Every day, it will 'freeze' (for lack of a better term) and can not be seen by any other devices, including the controller. Well it can be seen but does not respond.

Here's my setup.

(1) Ubiquiti Cloud Key (UC‑CK)

(1) Ubiquiti Security Gateway 3P (USG-3P)

(1) Ubiquiti 16 port Poe Switch (US‑16‑150W)

(2) Ubiquiti AP-AC-Lite Access Points (UAP‑AC‑LITE)

I have the setup running on a controller on a dedicated cloud key that stays on my network at all times (powered by the 16 port Ubiquiti PoE switch). Everything is on the same VLAN (so single subnet) and I have a Cable internet connection which hands a public IP to the gateway. Really nothing complicated at all, this is your run of the mill network setup basically. And everything runs great - until the gateway falls offline, which it does every single day. All I have to do to fix the problem is physically reboot the gateway, and everything is fine again. But obviously I don't want to do that everyday. Fortunately, all internet traffic is still being passed through the gateway somehow, but it can't be reached once it freezes like this. On the Dashboard it shows as my WAN being down and on the device list it shows up as 'Adopting'. Obviously, this gateway has already been adopted. And like I said, once rebooted everything is good again. What is going on???

Has anyone run into this before? It's driving me nuts. Below you'll see some screenshots of what it looks like when it's 'frozen' and how it appears.

Help, anyone?? I would post images but when I do, my post gets marked as spam for some reason.

Re: Having serious issues with UniFi Security Gateway 3P - Freezes everyday!

[ Edited ]

Ok, adding in images in a follow up post. 

devices.jpgdashboard.jpg

And then after a reboot to the gateway....

devices_working.jpgdashboard_working.jpg

Emerging Member
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 6

This could be an issue with the 4.4.28 firmware. Have a look at what others may be experiencing:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-Firmware-v4-4-28-now-available/m-p/2483441

When the USG3P goes offline/adopting, can you still SSH into it?

Kudos: 5

Same thing, since version 4.4.28 and 4.4.29 USG3 regulary crash.

not good for an entreprise class router .....

Looks like it's time to invest in a USG‑PRO‑4. Wish I knew this from the get-go. But it was $100, what did I expect?

Kudos: 1072
Solutions: 291

[ Edited ]

Some questions:

- What controller version do you use?

- What firmware version?

- When the controller reports the USG is offline, can you still login with SSH?

- If you can login, what does the command 'info' show?

- Do you have periodic speedtest enabled? Turn it off and see if that helps.

Kudos: 50
Solutions: 9

@michaelvazquez wrote:

Looks like it's time to invest in a USG‑PRO‑4. Wish I knew this from the get-go. But it was $100, what did I expect?

You either have a faulty USG or an error in your setup. If the latter, a Pro won't fix that. The USG is not, by design, a flaky device: mine works fine and has not failed me once since I put it in a year ago.

Can you get console logs from it at the point when things go wrong?

Home: USG-3P | UAP-AC-Lite
Church: USG-Pro | US-24-250W | UAP-AC-Lite x 6 | UAP-AC-IW x 2
Controller: Linode 4GB VPN on Ubuntu 18.04

[ Edited ]

To answer your questions:

You can see all controller and firmware versions in the images I posted. But I'll write them down anyways.

-Controller version 5.8.30 (running off Cloud key)

-Firmware version is 4.4.28.5118795 for the Gateway 3P

-Yes, I can actually log in via SSH still.

-Typing the command 'info' does absolutely nothing (including pic below), it just brings up a new line like it was never typed. The 'help' command still worked though.

-No I do not have periodic Speed Tests enabled. So that's not an issue.

And I also don't have IDS or IPS enabled in any way either. Because I know that takes up alot of resources as well. That feature is totally off.

I used to have a Cisco ISR router (2921 ISR) before, and there's no issues on my network, I promise. It's been running fine for six years.

cli.jpg

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 221
Solutions: 95

@michaelvazquez How long has this been happening? Since 4.4.28 or prior to that? 

I have had a few reports already that 4.4.29 patches up other occurrences such as this. 

Try my suggestion here.

Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team

[ Edited ]

Just did a reboot and here's the 'info' command afterwards. I blacked out the public IP address for security, but it's there.

cli_working.jpg

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-AdamD

I bought the gateway when the current firmware was 4.4.28, so I wouldn't know about it running on firmware before that. But yes from 4.4.28 until the most latest, I've always had this problem. Since Day 1.

@UBNT-AdamD

I checked out the other post you linked to. Are you suggesting I revert back to an old firmware. I don't mind trying. Which would you suggest?

Ubiquiti Employee

@michaelvazquez wrote:

@UBNT-AdamD

I bought the gateway when the current firmware was 4.4.28, so I wouldn't know about it running on firmware before that. But yes from 4.4.28 until the most latest, I've always had this problem. Since Day 1.

@UBNT-AdamD

I checked out the other post you linked to. Are you suggesting I revert back to an old firmware. I don't mind trying. Which would you suggest?

No, 4.4.29 was just released as stable today. If you have the 3 port that command will work for you just fine to upgrade to 4.4.29. 

Ok I'll upgrade to 4.4.29 and let you guys know.

Ok successfully upgraded to 4.4.29. Let's see if this helps.

Ubiquiti Employee

Sounds good. Feel free to update with any findings.

I have a USG 3P on 4.4.29 and it is freezing every few days.  Any advice is appreciated.

Kudos: 2

Yes, downgrade to 4.4.22 has helped me.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  The problem with downgrading, of course, is you never know when it is safe to upgrade again.  It would be nice to know the problem was identified and fixed in a new version of the firmware.

Kudos: 138
Solutions: 36

@milleri wrote:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  The problem with downgrading, of course, is you never know when it is safe to upgrade again.  It would be nice to know the problem was identified and fixed in a new version of the firmware.

As far as I'm concerned, UBNT hasn't released a truly stable version of USG firmware since v4.4.12 was put out. Everything after that seems to be focused on more features and useless consumer "bling" (like IPS) that makes the firmware unstable and unreliable.

Same goes for Controller software - v5.8.30 seems to be last reliable release and newer versions are flakey.

My opinion -> UBNT really needs to stop trying to compete against the mainstream consumer crap, and focus on enterprise stability. Don't get me wrong, I really like their stuff - but updates week after week after week that simply fail to be reliable is not the basis for a good business model.

Just sayin...