Highlighted
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Help needed for VLAN trunk

I have 2 VLANs made in my edgerouter (guest VLAN 30, and IOT VLAN 40) and want to have my Playstation on VLAN 40.

Setup is ER-L --> port 1 netgear GSS116E, port 2 netgear ---> port 1 US 8 -60 W, port 5 US 8-60 W ---> unifi in wall, port 2 --> mikrotik swith port 1, port 2 ---> PS 4.

I made a trunk with vlan 30, 40 on netgear port 1 and 2, and then I thought just by using on the US8 switch profile and in wall the setup "all"(in the unifi controller i made vlan only 30 and 40), and untag vlan 40 on the mikrotik port to the playstation I could get a connection but I cannot get an IP address.

However this is not working.

On wireless access point (connected to the US 8-60 W) I can get the IOT vlan working, so it is somehow working on the US 8 -60

Is my setup just too difficult for VLANs to get working?

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help needed for VLAN trunk

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 995
Solutions: 244

[ Edited ]

If it's working on the US8, have you verified that US8 port 5 has vlan40 tagged? And has the mikrotik port1 also VLAN 40 tagged?

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC

I do not know for sure that on port 5 of the US 8 VLAN 40 is tagged (is there some log I can check?).

I have on the port profile "all networks". Port 5 is linked with POE to a unifi in wall. If I connect the playstation to the wireless IoT network from the unifi in wall everything works and I get an IP in the IoT subnet. So does that mean that somehow the VLAN40 is transmitted from the US 8 to the in wall?

In the mikrotik I have port 1 als VLAN 40 tagged (I think)

Established Member
Kudos: 995
Solutions: 244

Ok now we know that the in wall is working too! So last piece of the puzzle is the mikrotik. You have to look to solve the issue there.

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC

Okay I check that settings again. Maybe I need to use the SFP port of the mikrotik instead of the ethernet port for vlan trunk?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1571
Solutions: 91

@TomdH wrote:

Okay I check that settings again. Maybe I need to use the SFP port of the mikrotik instead of the ethernet port for vlan trunk?

If the ports are correctly configured, whether a port is RJ45 or SFP should be immaterial. Switching between the two ports may show differences in behaviour that would indicate that the Mikrotik configuration requires modification.

I am still at mystery here, it seems that from the unifi in wall either one vlan is tagged but a combination of vlan tags not. So if I have the Iot VLAN tagged from the second port of the in wall the mikrotik switch hands out Iot leases. But if I have both VLAN 1 and VLAN 40 (IOT) from the second port (using a switch profile), the mikrotik only receives VLAN 1. I also tried a netgear switch and that had the same problem. Is there someway (maybe logging into the inwall switch with ssh?) to see if only one vlan is tagged?

I tried this possibility: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Unifi-Switches-not-discovered-and-no-DHCP-addr...

but still no ip on vlan 40. I used wireshark and port mirroring on the mikrotik and found out that from the playstation a dhcp discover is sent (from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.2555) but no response thereafter. Is there anything I can do to log why this DHCP request is never reaching the router?