Kudos: 13
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Help needed - perceived excessive WAN data usage

Hope someone can help. I am beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out but ....

I have Comcast residential Internet with Comcast provided Cisco DPC3941T Voice Gateway. I have Comcast WiFi disabled and have USG3 Gateway connected in to the LAN Switch Port 1. From there everything is behind the USG3 and the US-24 Switch (see attached topology). The USG is setup as a DHCP client, so I believe the gateway function of the Comcast Cisco is still on.

My issues is what I think is an excessive data usage. I have been tracking the data usage reported by Comcast and by the USG and they both pretty much match, but when I look at the up/down data usage shown for USG it does not seem to mach with the uplink data usage shown for the switch (see attached screenshot).

Can someone tell me if I am misreading stats shown in UniFi or the USG data usage is true and may have something to do with Comcast Cisco being a gateway and then having another gateway behind it.

I am just trying to figure out if my data usage is truly what I am seeing, although numbers do not make sense

Thank you.

Norm.   

Topology.PNG

Devices.PNG

Devices.PNG
Topology.PNG

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help needed - perceived excessive WAN data usage

Solved

Supported recommended disabling "Speed Test" in the USG configuration.

According to support there is an outstanding bug where the speed test on USG increments the interface byte counters on WAN significantly faster than it's actually transferring data.

Actually, it is not just counters vs data sent, it creates a huge WAN traffic.

Disabled Speed Test and now my USG WAN utilization matches the uplink utilization being reported by the switch 

View solution in original post

All Replies

Solved

Supported recommended disabling "Speed Test" in the USG configuration.

According to support there is an outstanding bug where the speed test on USG increments the interface byte counters on WAN significantly faster than it's actually transferring data.

Actually, it is not just counters vs data sent, it creates a huge WAN traffic.

Disabled Speed Test and now my USG WAN utilization matches the uplink utilization being reported by the switch 

Kudos: 9

[ Edited ]

I am so glad I find your post. I've been on at my ISP for crazy data usage the last week, basically accusing them of all sorts of misdeeds, but this all makes sense.

I have some humble pie to go and eat.

The sudden dip in usage was after I removed the USG from the picture. I've since replaced it but disabled the speed test. I'd be interested to know how much data is used each time and why (and this is important) it isn't reported in the USG at all.

Internode 3-4-17 to 17-4-17.jpeg

I am glad that it was able to help someone else as well. It drove me nuts for month, and I am glad Comcast is not charging for data overages. 

Can you link me to instructions on how to disable the speed test? I am a novice computer user, unifi system just installed yesterday by a tech that is not answering phones!
2 out of 4 computers on our network are showing insane data usage (6gb+ in a few hours) and we are using a cellular hub! Running about $200/day right now with data overages.

Not sure if this is the same problem, as the excessive usage was attributed to the USG router itself and not any specific computer on the network.

Anyway, here are the steps.

1. Log in to the UniFi controller
  2. Go to Settings
  3. On the “Site” page uncheck the Speed Test    (enable Periodic speed test every xx minutes
  4. Apply the chages

Hope this helps.

Norm.pic.jpg

Looks like I'm siffering the same fate...will update after disabling speed test

What version of the controller you are running? Just interested if the same problem still exists in the newer versions. I have not re-enabled speed test ever since it caused me so much grief. 

I just upgraded to 5.8.30 this morning, had been updating every few months before now. I still saw the excessive WAN usage on 5.8.30 with speed test enabled. In the past 40 minutes since disabling speed test, I no longer see the excessive usage, so this definitely appears to have fixed the problem. I think it is safe to say this is still an issue in the newer and newest versions.]

Thanks for the post! I'd been racking my brain and accusing my ISP for the past few days as well.

You are very welcome! It took me a while and a lot banging my head against the wall. Glad it helped.

Kudos: 1

Really hope disabling the periodic speed test solves the 2 or 3-fold increase in data usage since the middle of the last billing cycle. I have been wrangling with AT&T over inaccurate metering for almost a month because the DPI data suggested that no clients were draining data in the background and UniFi support was adamant that the USG could not possibly consume that much data itself.

Hope it helps. Please let the community know of the outcome.

I have the newest firmware and was having this issues for 2 months now. I went with Comcast back and forth because the reads (2250 gb/month) were not realistic.

I plugged out my USG, disabled the "bridge mode" on my Internet Gateway (the one from Comcast) and now the data volume seems to be realistic... will disable the "speed test" and hope all goes back to normal.

Kudos: 2

I also got burned by the UAG speed test feature.  All of the sudden we were getting notifcations from Xfinity that we were going to exceed our 1TB data cap.  Took me a couple days of digging to figure it out.  What threw me for a loop is that I was using DPI to track our data usage and everything was consistently lower.  I have two suggestions for Unifi:

1. Have a little warning or informational box by the Speed Test that reminds users of the data this would use.
  2. Include the speed tests in the Traffic statistics. 

Im having the same problem with Xfinity - huge data usage that makes no sense and the unifi DPI data is 1/3 to 1/5 the xfinity data usage numbers.  Ill try turning off speedtest and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone who reports these problems and solutions!

It seemed to have worked for others, so I hope this will address your issue. Bugs me that UBNT still have not addressed it. 

I really hope this is what I've been dealing with as well. I just used my 2nd free overage with comcast. I've been trying to sort this out for 4 months now. It didn't make since because DPI and switch uplink ports weren't adding up to be anywhere close to what Comcast was claiming. I disabled automatic speed test (was happening every 15 minutes). I will watch for a week and see if my average data usage (based on comcast's metrics) goes from 40 GB per day to about 12 GB. I'll try and remember to report back what I find.

I’m certain that this will solve the problem. It immediately solved mine. 

Kudos: 6

speed test defaulted to disabled in my new install.

That is correct. I has been deafaulting to off before. The issue was when user explicitly returned it on.