Re: Here we go again... Stock of US-16-XG

I have an order with Ingram and one with B&H.  Availability date keeps getting pushed.  When will these be available?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 910
Solutions: 38

They will be getting new shipment sent to them Thursday of this week. Will take ~1 week to arrive.
Ben Moore
Ubiquiti Networks

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I am new to Ubiquiti products, though I have been researching them for months now. I am finally attempting to deploy a full Unifi network for a religious organization, and ran into the 16 port 150w switches being out of stock. I was not notified that they were out of stock (B&H Photo) until after I placed the order. That led me to searching on Amazon, seeing the price gouging, leading me to perform a Google search and find this thread.

My main concern has changed from "when will I get the switches" to "should I order these switches" as I have read people post and comment that this is a common occurance, for a while actually, which is disturbing. I would hate to have a network out of service for an extended period of time due to being unable to get my hands on a replacement device.

Would love opinions from anyone who may be in a similar predicament. What have your experiences been? From my point of view, it looks like UBNT has suffered some serious supply/demand issues as of late.

H

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

hey @UBNT-Ben I apologize for bumping this thread but I am also waiting on 2x US-16-XG from SHI. Do you have any idea when these switches are going to be back in stock?

I really love ubiquiti but these stock shortages are really a pain. Right now we have 2x ES-16-XGs in place but we'd really like to get rid of those before we open our new facility before July.

Kudos: 3

UBNT should really try to keep up with demands and keep enough stocks so users can rely on using their products.  I hope someone from UBNT mgmt. team reads this blog.  I just deployed 2 XG switches, and now I worry about warranty replacements if needed.

Established Member
Kudos: 282
Solutions: 28

@harjothundal wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to Ubiquiti products, though I have been researching them for months now. I am finally attempting to deploy a full Unifi network for a religious organization, and ran into the 16 port 150w switches being out of stock. I was not notified that they were out of stock (B&H Photo) until after I placed the order. That led me to searching on Amazon, seeing the price gouging, leading me to perform a Google search and find this thread.

My main concern has changed from "when will I get the switches" to "should I order these switches" as I have read people post and comment that this is a common occurance, for a while actually, which is disturbing. I would hate to have a network out of service for an extended period of time due to being unable to get my hands on a replacement device.

Would love opinions from anyone who may be in a similar predicament. What have your experiences been? From my point of view, it looks like UBNT has suffered some serious supply/demand issues as of late.

H

I think you answer your own question. If you don’t have faith in a product to deliver, go elsewhere. 

There are MANY people on these forums who buy Unifi for home deployments. If you read the threads here and on Amazon, most of the posts are from home users. Unifi is a HUGE sales success for UBNT because it delivers Cisco Meraki for half the money. 

For a home user, Cisco Meraki is a pipe dream. For a well-heeled (or enthusiast) home user, Unifi is on the right side of affordable. For a business/organisational user you need to address those supply concerns up front because you NEED your network to work. And if you have a ‘down’ component, you NEED a cold-swap spare. Getting one next day isn’t really an option. So as a business/organisational user you should budget for 2 of everything really. At which point you are in Cisco Meraki territory again. 

So your question really ought to be “do I need those units today?” In which case, you need to buy Cisco Meraki. Except you won’t, because it’s too expensive. So you need to get an order in for a Unifi, quick.

What is it about Unifi that is stopping you buying EdgeMax products? Do you need a single pane of glass user experience or would an EdgeRouter, Edgeswitch and Unifi Access points do the same job for you? I suspect they would.

And if you think a Unifi supply/demand Planñing is bad, Volkswagen have had to stop to taking orders until September n their new Polo GTi model because the order book is full until June next year. If you think about it, up until last week, people were ordering cars with a 15-month wait. Having to wait 4-6 weeks for a discounted switch doesn’t seem quite so bad really!

Established Member

@RightClick wrote:

I have an order with Ingram and one with B&H.  Availability date keeps getting pushed.  When will these be available?

Can I ask why yo have ordered two from two different resellers? I really cannot stress enough the importance of building a relationship with your reseller. If you just buy units from the cheapest reseller then you’re just another internet order, to be fulfilled in order. If you have a relationship with a reseller then you can call them and ask when the units will be in stock, can they make sure they also order enough of everything else you may need and even if you can get bumped up the line a bit when you have an urgent requirement. 

I placed the order with BHPhoto when they were one of the only ones to show it available.  Shortly after, I received a notice that the unit was on backorder for 7-14 days.  I waited.....and when I received the next notice that it would be July before it was available, I went back to my regular vendor, Ingram.  They indicated they would have them by June, so I ordered from them.

It had nothing to do with buying from the cheapest vendor and everything to do with availability.  When you have project deadlines, you do what you have to do.  At this point, that is looking more and more like moving to a different product, even though there is a larger price tag associated with it.  We, as system integrators, cannot recommend or implement devices that are not readily available.

Ubiquiti Employee

@gravee - No problem in bumping the thread. I am not sure who SHI has purchased these through, but all distributors will be getting shipments sent to them over the next week., which will then take another 1 week to arrive.
Ben Moore
Ubiquiti Networks
Ubiquiti Employee

We are definitely here. Stock is definitely being built up (and we are adding additional stocking facilities). Demand for the XG's has been very popular out of gate, but stock is being built to ensure they are always available in channel.
Ben Moore
Ubiquiti Networks
Kudos: 4

@UBNT-Ben wrote:
We are definitely here. Stock is definitely being built up (and we are adding additional stocking facilities). Demand for the XG's has been very popular out of gate, but stock is being built to ensure they are always available in channel.

Can you comment on availability for Newegg?  I have an order with them that has been outstanding for weeks.  If you are able to steer units in their direction, I am willing to get on the phone to make sure one of those units fills my order.  I have been unwilling to transfer my order to another vendor because finding one with a US-XG-16 in stock is like playing "whack-a-mole".

Ubiquiti Employee

These will be fulfilled by distribution, so they should be receiving within few days of distributors receiving.
Ben Moore
Ubiquiti Networks
Highlighted

I received the one I ordered at Newegg a week ago. I checked and they were immediately out of stock. I doubt they received enough units to even fulfill their backorders. On the plus side, it was worth the wait. With the code they had at the time I ordered, I got mine for $500. Now I just have to figure out what to do about these crappy 30mm fans in that unit.

Established Member

@bclothier wrote:

Can you comment on availability for Newegg?  I have an order with them that has been outstanding for weeks.  If you are able to steer units in their direction, I am willing to get on the phone to make sure one of those units fills my order.  I have been unwilling to transfer my order to another vendor because finding one with a US-XG-16 in stock is like playing "whack-a-mole".

I'm pretty sure Newegg aren't UBNT reselllers. So they are getting their stock through another channel. 

@wja96 wrote:

@bclothier wrote:

I'm pretty sure Newegg aren't UBNT reselllers. So they are getting their stock through another channel. 

Yes, that is correct.  I normally purchase from B&H Photo Video, which is an authorized Ubiquiti reseller.  However, when I called them, their representative could not give me any time when a US-16-XG would be in stock.  In contrast, Newegg said 4-7 days.  Obviously, that timeframe did not turn out to be a winner for me . . .

[ Edited ]

>With the code they had at the time I ordered, I got mine for $500.

That is the price of my current, unfilled order with Newegg.  I just finished speaking with their representative.  They are expecting inventory tomorrow, and confirmed that my order would be filled from the first batch.

>Now I just have to figure out what to do about these crappy 30mm fans in that unit.

I have a solution in mind for that problem using 40 mm fans (i.e., Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX) and a 30-mm to 40-mm adapter.  But I first need to get my unit to make sure the adapter will work.  If works, I can fill you in on the details.

Established Member

@bclothier wrote:

@wja96 wrote:

@bclothier wrote:

Yes, that is correct.  I normally purchase from B&H Photo Video, which is an authorized Ubiquiti reseller.  However, when I called them, their representative could not give me any time when a US-16-XG would be in stock.  In contrast, Newegg said 4-7 days.  Obviously, that timeframe did not turn out to be a winner for me . . .

So why ask UBNT when Newegg will have stock when Newegg don’t get their stock from UBNT? I’m sure you are aware that there are counterfeit “UBNT” parts coming from China. Let’s hope you get a real one!

I’m really shocked that the US resellers don’t seem to be able to tell customers what is inbound. ALL the UK resellers know +/-1 day when the next 1 or 2 shipments are inbound and how many units they are getting.

[ Edited ]

>So why ask UBNT when Newegg will have stock when Newegg don’t get their stock from UBNT? 

Because someone previously in this thread had an order with Newegg and UBNT was able to provide some insight into when stock would find it's way to Newegg.

>I’m sure you are aware that there are counterfeit “UBNT” parts coming from China. Let’s hope you

>get a real one!

Although Newegg is not listed as a Ubiquiti reseller (or distributor), there is no reason to believe they are not receiving Ubiquiti products through legitimate channels.  Newegg is a behemoth of an Internet retailer with revenue in the billions and a strong reputation here in the U.S.  And from what I can see, they sell virtually all of Ubiquiti's products under "Sold and shipped by Newegg".  If you stick with "Sold and shipped by Newegg" -- which I most certainly did with my order -- your chance of gettting a counterfeit is pretty much zero.  However, if you purchase from third parties advertising through Newegg's website, you risk getting counterfeit.

>I’m really shocked that the US resellers don’t seem to be able to tell customers what is inbound.

>ALL the UK resellers know +/-1 day when the next 1 or 2 shipments are inbound and how many

>units they are getting.

That is a good question.  For what is worth, I contacted B&H Photo Video before placing my order with Newegg.  (B&H Photo Video is a listed reseller of Ubiquiti products.)  The representative at B&H Photo Video was not able to provide me any information on pending availability.  Candidly, I think the problem is one of poor customer service.  The representative should have escalated the issue to someone internally who was authorized contact Ubiquiti directly.  The representative could then have contacted me back.

@UBNT-Ben wrote:
These will be fulfilled by distribution, so they should be receiving within few days of distributors receiving.

Have the distribution channels received their units (i.w., US-16-XG)?  Newegg pushed out their ETA date to 5/24 and no one else is lisiting any stock.

Ubiquiti Employee

They have not received as of yet. Timing was ~1 week to release from factory and ~1 week to arrive at distributor. Some distributor orders are on way and some leaving tomorrow/Thursday.
Ben Moore
Ubiquiti Networks