Home network set up

Hi, sorry if this is a redundant post. I have 1G Century Link fiber in my home. I added a 8-60W Switch and 2 AC in wall wi-fi devices. I want to run Open DNS but the Century Link router won’t let me run it, and I want to switch to a Ubiquiti router....

I want to know what is a good router to use in this instance and also be capable of continuous add-on’s to create a true Smart Home. My first priority is security and able to run Open DNS. I also want to add cameras and be able to add a VPN at some point. 

Any recommendations would be tremendously helpful. 

Thanks!

Dave

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2004
Solutions: 304

Re: Home network set up

I'll move this to the UniFi section.
Established Member
Kudos: 359
Solutions: 33

@Davidlfusco wrote:

Hi, sorry if this is a redundant post. I have 1G Century Link fiber in my home. I added a 8-60W Switch and 2 AC in wall wi-fi devices. I want to run Open DNS but the Century Link router won’t let me run it, and I want to switch to a Ubiquiti router....

I want to know what is a good router to use in this instance and also be capable of continuous add-on’s to create a true Smart Home. My first priority is security and able to run Open DNS. I also want to add cameras and be able to add a VPN at some point. 

Any recommendations would be tremendously helpful. 

Thanks!

Dave

The accepted wisdom is that although the USG will route 1Gbps, the USG Pro is the better option at that sort of speed. 

For Open DNS - see this thread

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Open-DNS-with-USG/td-p/2437150

I would not recommend anyone buy a USG or USG Pro at the moment. Feature for feature they are shockingly poor value and the expected improvements in the controller software when UBNT hired Chris Buechler two years ago simply haven’t materialised for the most part. 

The switches and access points are excellent. The Cloud key concept is fantastic. The cameras are decent, if expensive for what you get. Even the UAS-XG is fabulous value, it’s just desperately seeking a use-case. The Routers are very poor value for what you get at the moment.

My advice would be either wait for the new USG which hopefully won’t be to long coming or buy a Netgate SG-3100 pfSense appliance which is what the USG Pro ought to be. Fast, fully featured and well priced.

Thank you for the response.  Would the Edge routers (Edge 4) fall under the “don’t buy yet” category?

Established Member

@Davidlfusco wrote:

Thank you for the response.  Would the Edge routers (Edge 4) fall under the “don’t buy yet” category?

No, they are fine routers but they are not Unifi and pfSense appliances do a lot for not much more money. 

Kudos: 34
Solutions: 7

I run my home network off an Edgerouter Lite (ERL) with all Unifi gear behind it (3 US-8-60W switches and 2 APs). This has been a rock solid configuration for me for the last couple years. I run the unifi controller on a raspberry pi or currnetly on my NAS, makes the setup and monitoring of my switches, APs and clients super easy. The setup of the ERL was simple with the info on the forums, and gives me the ablility to run seperate VLANs for home, kids, smart devices and guests, IPv6 for all, etc. The ERL handles my 400mb down/30mb up connection well, for 1G I would go with the Edgerouter 4, should have plenty of horse power for you.

Good luck

Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 80

[ Edited ]

@wja96 wrote:

My advice would be either wait for the new USG which hopefully won’t be to long coming or buy a Netgate SG-3100 pfSense appliance which is what the USG Pro ought to be. Fast, fully featured and well priced.

The USG3 is $140 or less, the Netgate is $350. The USG works just fine for me, and I've been designing networks and implementing firewalls since 1991.

I think right now, the device that competes apples-to-apples with what the USG3 should be is the Synology MR2200. I have one on the way to play with, but I'll still stay with my USG. If all goes well, I'll deploy the Synology at my father's home.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HPSQZKN

There are a few videos out on YouTube that show the latest features of the Synology, the one by Willie Howe seems to be the best one so far.

I ran a pfSense box for several years. It's probably not for everyone. It isn't the most user-friendly product. I also never got IPS working correctly on it and finally switched over to Sophos UTM9, which was a little more user friendly, and the IPS product on it worked. Both were free products (Sophos has a 50 device limit) so I can't complain about them too much.

Kudos: 6
Solutions: 4

I stared with Mikrotik Cloud Router Switch (CRS125-24G-15RM) as a router and 3 Unifi AP AC-Lites. I've tried USG and sticked with it. It's simple, easy, controled from cloud key and such. I also had a Cloud Key controller for a year now.

My current setup is:

- USG 3p
- Mikrotik CRS125-24G-15RM (as a managed switch)
- 3 Unifi AP's
- Off site controller

I'm just in a process of switching from Mikrotik to Unifi Swtich 24P.
One small step for LAN, a giant leap of WLAN.

Thank you all for the input and responses. I have some decisions to make.  I am sure you’ll a

see more questions from me soon. 

Thanks again!

Established Member

@RobbieH wrote:

@wja96 wrote:

The USG3 is $140 or less, the Netgate is $350. The USG works just fine for me, and I've been designing networks and implementing firewalls since 1991.

I think right now, the device that competes apples-to-apples with what the USG3 should be is the Synology MR2200. I have one on the way to play with, but I'll still stay with my USG. If all goes well, I'll deploy the Synology at my father's home.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HPSQZKN

There are a few videos out on YouTube that show the latest features of the Synology, the one by Willie Howe seems to be the best one so far.

I ran a pfSense box for several years. It's probably not for everyone. It isn't the most user-friendly product. I also never got IPS working correctly on it and finally switched over to Sophos UTM9, which was a little more user friendly, and the IPS product on it worked. Both were free products (Sophos has a 50 device limit) so I can't complain about them too much.

In the original post it’s stated that it needs to handle a 1Gbps. The USG 3P is right at the limit with a 1Gbps connection. Which is why I suggested a USG-Pro as a minimum. And that does compete head-on price wise with the Netgate SG-3100.

[ Edited ]

Thank you all again.

so, I purchased the USG and plan to replace my C2000T Century Link router with the USG.  I am needing to get the Open DNS running with 3 kids of 8, 11 & 15....

I have very little experience and am asking for more help if anyone would be kind enough to help.  Is there any set up I have to do on the USG prior to replacing the existing router with it?  I retrieved the PPPoE password from Century Link (just in case).  

I assume I cannot just take one out and put the othe one in, correct?  I have found other forums for setting up Open DNS on the USG.

so, the list of hardware is: Fiber to Ethernet box, to C2000T, to Unify Switch 8-60W. From there I have connected 2 AC in walls, PC, XBox, PS4, WiiU and TV....all wiring is CAT6.

thank you in advance for keeping it in layman’s terms....

[ Edited ]

For Centurylink, you will also need to add VLAN 201 tag to the PPPoE in order to replace the C2000T.

So your setup would be -> Fiber ONT -> USG -> Unifi Switch 8.

In the WAN setting on the USG, you will need to supply your CL login/password, set it to PPPoE, and tag it as VLAN 201

Highlighted
Kudos: 1

We have ATT fiber at our place so ill post some pics. We get almost our full speed with the att gateway in pass through mode. I'm a fan of the USG but if you have more than a 1g connection, get something else. 

20180927_232340.jpg20181109_190925.jpgScreenshot_20181112-151051_Chrome.jpg

USG 3P
Switch 8
Switch 16 POE-150W
Switch 24 POE-500W
2x AP-nanoHD