How to configure EdgeRouter with Unifi Managed Switch

Alright where to start...

I just received my Edgerouter X, Unifi Switch 8 60w and AP AC Pro.

I upgraded firmware, established WAN connection, hwnat & ipsec offloading, and NAT translation to (switch0).

My main issue at the moment is setting up NAT to a specific LAN port and then disabling the switch0 on the Edgerouter X, pushing all switch decisions to the Unifi 8 60w. I have a very basic understanding of DHCP, subnets and so on... all of which is based off your run of the mill AIO home router.

How do I go about doing this? I spent hours searching google for a solution.I tried disabling switch0, and subsequently lost all connection to the EdgeOS webgui. I performed a hard reset on the ERX to get back to square one.

I imagine I have to setup some kind of static route from the ERX to the Unifi Switch. Please help.

Again, I'm very new to big boy networking. Layman's terms and direct instructions greatly appreciated!

Kudos: 80
Solutions: 7

Re: How to configure EdgeRouter with Unifi Managed Switch

Routing and switching are two seperate things. The ERX is unique as it has a switch built into it as well. Switches can be pictured as a pool (vlan network) with a bunch of pipes (switchports) coming off of it . whatever you connect to those pipes will fill with the same water as the pool/pipes. In your topology, if you plug the unifi switch into a port on the ERX belonging to switch0, then anything plugged into the switch0 ports and the US switchports will be able to communicate. So unless you need more router ports on the ERX, there's not really a reason to disable switch0. Switch0 on the ERX is a sort of bridge between the ports belonging to it. If you used the wizard to setup the ERX, it lets you pick what ports are your LAN ports. This sets up NAT for you. If you did it this way, anything plugged into switch0 ports and the US switch should get an IP address (if you setup dhcp in the wizard) and should have internet access. 

What problem are you specifically experiencing? 

Re: How to configure EdgeRouter with Unifi Managed Switch

My issue is that I bought a dedicated switch for the switch processes. I don't want my ERX to do any unnecessary work.

With help, I was able to apply another Wizard: WAN+2LAN2, setting up 2 lands (eth1 LAN = Switch 60w 8 Port) and (eth2-eth4 = switch0).