Kudos: 17
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

How to setup a dns suffix for local devices ?

Hi!

Probably a real noob question, but how can I setup DNS suffix for local devices?

I want to access my NAS, for example, with a nas.local or nas.home instead of entering the ip-address. See my signature for used Unifi devices.

Thanks in advance!

Gateways: UniFi Security Gateway 4P / UniFi Security Gateway 3P
Controllers: UniFi Cloud Key / Unifi Cloud Key Gen2+
Switches: UniFi Switch 24 POE-250W / UniFi Switch 8 POE-150W / UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W
Access Points: UniFi AP-AC-Mesh / UniFi AP-AC-Mesh-Pro

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 4

Re: How to setup a dns suffix for local devices ?

You can manually set it up in the USG with the following command

set service dhcp-server shared-network-name (LAN_xxx) subnet (SUBNET) domain-name test.domain

Without the brackets ()

That works fine on the latest sw release

Then you would need to create the config.gateway.jason file with the correct jason syntax and put that on your controller for it to stick after a reboot.

Though it from what I read, it sounded like the DNS suffix fairly close to coming in the GUI, so unless you really want to play with jason script, you could just add the above command to your USG for the quick fix.

View solution in original post

All Replies

You can manually set it up in the USG with the following command

set service dhcp-server shared-network-name (LAN_xxx) subnet (SUBNET) domain-name test.domain

Without the brackets ()

That works fine on the latest sw release

Then you would need to create the config.gateway.jason file with the correct jason syntax and put that on your controller for it to stick after a reboot.

Though it from what I read, it sounded like the DNS suffix fairly close to coming in the GUI, so unless you really want to play with jason script, you could just add the above command to your USG for the quick fix.

What do you mean with (LAN_xxx) ?

Switches: UniFi Switch 24 POE-250W / UniFi Switch 8 POE-150W / UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W

Your network name should be something like LAN_*******, just tab thru the command to see what offers you (for both the things in the brackets)

I will wait for the next update to see if it can be done by controller GUI, if not, I will try your solution.

Thank you @SAMTECHM!

Kudos: 2

@Unifry wrote:

What do you mean with (LAN_xxx) ?

These were the commands that I ran when I was getting it setup (to test, these steps won't persist between reboots):

show service dhcp-server

From the results of the show service dhcp-server command, find the "shared-network-name" and "subnet" for the next commands:

configure
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name (LAN_xxx) subnet (SUBNET) domain-name test.domain commit save exit

As @SAMTECHM described, you'll have to edit the json config files to get it to persist between reboots of the USG.

Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 497
Solutions: 79

It's in one of the later 5.5.x betas. Works well.
Controller: 5.9.26 | Sites: 12 | Devices: 55 | Clients: ~250
USGs (4.4.28): XG8 (x1) | Pro4 (x4) | USG3 (x4)
UAPs (3.9.50): AC-Pro (x17) | AC-LR (x3) | Mesh-Pro (x2) | Mesh (x1) | Outdoor+ (x2)
USWs (3.9.50): US-16XG (x2) | US-40-500w (x3) | US-24-250w (x2)| US-8-150w (x3) | US-8-60w (x3) | US-8 (x2)