IPTV over VLAN: multicast problem

Hello everone,

I am new to the forum but i have seen a lot of experienced people in the forum.

I have iptv (bridged) from my ISP. 

The router of the isp has a separate ports for internet and iptv.

Using 2 unifi 8 port switches and the cloud key i was able to join the to signals in a vlan trunk and separate the signals in the second switch.

During the startup of the system everything was working great. The stb got all the right settings from the iptv server.

however when the stream started the screen froze. The stb itself was working and has connection. Also the function “start at the begin of the program” works fine.

I noticed that the activity lights on the switch were not blinking as expected. Only the “uplink” to the router was blinking and not the port that sends it to the stb.

I tried a more simple configuration with the unifi switch just to see if i got traffic from one port to the other.

It still did not work.

I tried the same configuration with a “dumb” switch and the iptv was working fine.

This let me to the conclution that the live stream(multicast) is not passed trough to the switch. 

I have searched for settings but was not able to find them.

During the last weeks of the iptv with my previous provider I had a similar problem but i did not tried to solve it because i was switching to a differed provider.

Hopefully all of you can help me solve this problem.

If you need more information about my system please let me know what is needed and i will post that information.

Greetings Niels.

Kudos: 2

Re: IPTV over VLAN: multicast problem

Hi there,

I think I've read this here as a possible solution :

Try activating IGMP snooping 

under Settings > Networks

Choose your network/VLAN - it's right above DHCP 

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. However that did not solve the problem.

Any other ideas?

Greetings Niels

Kudos: 57
Solutions: 3

Have you set up VLANs?

I am using HDMI over Ethernet and have VLANs set up to isolate them. This might not be related to your issues but it is a way to isolate them, if fo no other reason than for testing.

Kudos: 1

If you don't need it passing through the USG  you can put the IPTV directly into the switch on it's own VLAN.  That's how I do mine.  I decided it was going to be too much trouble getting it to work through the USG, being that ATT seems to try and make it hard for anyone with non default configurations.  I just put it on an isolated VLAN and everything worked right away.

hello jfruehe,

Yes i have isolated the iptv steam with a VLAN.

the connection itself over the vlan works (unicast) but when the multicast steam start there is a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

hello mjeffer,

The router i use is a router from my ISP. So the IPTV signal is split from the internet signal.

It might be possible to split the IPTV signal before the router.

However i think that that will not solve the multicast issue.

The separate VLAN in the network is working. i can get the video on demand and the STB has a connection to the IPTV server.

However the live tv is not working.

Ah, I have a USG behind my ATT router with IP passthrough so it's a bit different but you're still going for a similar set up since you're splitting it off at the ISP router.  I got mine working pretty easily.

Are all the ports going to the IPTV VLAN untagged for that VLAN?  Or are you still passing through tagged traffic?  I imagine IPTV boxes wouldn't deal well with that.

[ Edited ]

Also,  have you tried it with IGMP snooping off?  I just remembered I had to turn it off on mine because my provider didn't seem to work well with Ubiquiti's implementation.  They require v3 and the Unifi switches only support v2.  The VLAN should isolate the broadcast traffic from other clients though.

Kudos: 14
Solutions: 1

So - You have

1. An ISP router with an internet port and an iptv port?
  2. Connected these two ports to two access ports on switch-1 (access ports = not 'All') on separate VLANs?
  3. Connected switch-2 to switch-1 using a trunk port on each end (trunk port = 'All')?
  4. Connected your STB to an iptv access port on switch-2?
  5. Checked that all ports are green (1 Gbps) except maybe for the STB?
  6. Disabled IGMP snooping on your iptv VLAN?

Just curious - Are there any WiFi involved in your iptv setup?

Best Regards

Ernst Mikkelsen

Hi Ernst,

thank you for the message.
below my answers to your questions.
the normal data over the vlan works fine but only the live tv (multicast) does not work.

@@erpomik wrote:

So - You have

1. An ISP router with an internet port and an iptv port? Yes
  2. Connected these two ports to two access ports on switch-1 (access ports = not 'All') on separate VLANs? Yes
  3. Connected switch-2 to switch-1 using a trunk port on each end (trunk port = 'All')? Yes
  4. Connected your STB to an iptv access port on switch-2? Yes
  5. Checked that all ports are green (1 Gbps) except maybe for the STB? yes, the iptv is 100 Mbps all others are 1 Gbps
  6. Disabled IGMP snooping on your iptv VLAN? yes

Just curious - Are there any WiFi involved in your iptv setup? no there are two unifi AC lite points in the network but they are on other ports in switch 1 and also on the vlan of the internet.

greetings Niels van Os

hi mjeffer,

the iptv traffic before the ISP router is on vlan 640. I think that the traffic out of the router port is untagged.

however the network i choose also uses vlan 640. and i have used the settings that all tagged traffic remains tagged (640) and all untagged traffic will get the vlan header of that network also 640. so the traffic should arive at the STB as it was send by the router.

i copied the part from the manual. see below

vlan.png

@mjeffer wrote:

Ah, I have a USG behind my ATT router with IP passthrough so it's a bit different but you're still going for a similar set up since you're splitting it off at the ISP router.  I got mine working pretty easily.

Are all the ports going to the IPTV VLAN untagged for that VLAN?  Or are you still passing through tagged traffic?  I imagine IPTV boxes wouldn't deal well with that.

@Nielsvanos wrote:

hi mjeffer,

the iptv traffic before the ISP router is on vlan 640. I think that the traffic out of the router port is untagged.

however the network i choose also uses vlan 640. and i have used the settings that all tagged traffic remains tagged (640) and all untagged traffic will get the vlan header of that network also 640. so the traffic should arive at the STB as it was send by the router.

i copied the part from the manual. see below

vlan.png

@mjeffer wrote:

I can't quite make out how you have your VLAN set up so here's a basic rundown of what you'd need on the UniFi switches.  

You shouldn't have to worry about what's before the router as far as the VLAN, just after.  As far as the Unifi switches, you'll need to have 2 VLANs.  I use the default network for internet and a VLAN only network for IPTV on VLAN 100 with IGMP Snooping turned off, though the number doesn't really matter.. 

If you have multiple switches you will want to create a new Switch Port Profile under settings -> Profiles -> Switch ports.  I have mine set to no default network and sending all networks tagged for simplicity.  Make sure that the up/down link ports on each switch are set to this profile or it won't pass all of the traffic to the other switch.  If you click on the switch in the controller it will give you a graphic of the ports.  Just click on the port you want to change and then select edit selected. 

At the switch that connects to the router set one port to the Default network profile (or whatever network your using for internet), and then one port for your IPTV network profile.  These should be default profiles.  Default is built in for the default network and it should create one when you create the IPTV VLAN.  Just plug the correct cables into the respective ports.  

From there just switch any port that's connected to an IPTV box to the IPTV profile and you should be good to go.

Ok, not sure why I had trouble parsing that before.  Your traffic out to the STB shouldn't be tagged.  All the ports for the STB should be untagged for VLAN 640.  Setting the switch port profile to the IPTV VLAN should send it out untagged as if it's coming from the IPTV port on the router.  

Kudos: 14
Solutions: 1

So it seems that the answer to my question #4 should have been a 'No', probably causing your problems with multicast. Smiley Wink

Regards

Ernst Mikkelsen