Highlighted
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

IPv6 (another one)

I'll try to be concise here so I can get whatever help to get IPv6 going on my net (I am deploying the Unifi USG 3p, before the USG I had only 3 AC-lite APs that were getting right and proper IPv6 addresses with a custom setup, anmely a rasperry pi 3 with dnsmasq for dhcpv4 and a draytek router between my network and the ISP's ONT).

Premises:

the IPv6 prefix from the ISP is 2001:818:d9d9:ba00::1/56 (as appears in the router GUI). Any attempt I have made at prefix delegation is met with "the finger". 

I tried a DHCPv6 prefix delegation with no success. all configurations I've tried with PD have failed.

What I've tried with best success is setting a static IP that I ripped from the Draytek, in which case I get ping6 working... at the USG. I still can't get IPv6 out to the APs. What am I doing wrong here? am I to suppose that i have to set a statig route from "whatever ipv6" from behind the gateway to the IPv6 address that i got to work? Frustrated here, so bear with me. Any pointers would help. Oh and yes I tried killing NAT rules with a json file... I'm not doing that again. What are my options here? I know it's all alpha stuff, but I want my IPv6 working.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 91
Solutions: 56

Re: IPv6 (another one)

The draytek router isnt providing sub-prefix delegation to the USG from the sound of it. I am not sure if the model you have supports that function, but without it you will only be able to get an IPv6 address on your WAN interface. Since there isnt any PD being advertised to the USG it will never be able to advertise the prefix on your LAN interfaces.

I'm sorry I was not clear, the Draytek router is not present in my network setup anymore, I replaced it for the USG - sorry about the confusion.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 91
Solutions: 56

So are you supposed to be using prefix delegation or a static IPv6 address scheme here? Who is your ISP? I would like to look up some of their documentation.

My ISP is Vodafone Portugal. When I connect directly to their ONT I get a perfectly good and working 2001 ip6 address, which suggests to me that there is at least slaac and or dhcpv6 with a properly working subdelegation on their side; on my Draytek which I had after the ISP provided ONT (a Huawei smart router HG8274Q which is at the same time ONT, router and wireless access point) I suffered a bit the same problem as all ipv6 addresses I entered in the dhcpv6 range were refused by the gui as invalid. I copped out (heh) and activated the Draytek's bridge mode and everything was fine and dandy. Now with the unifi i have a bit the same problemas I had on the Draytek: I set up a static IP on the router (will give full IP if needed over PM) and at the router I get a live ping6, but on the LAN side i get no ping response (destination unreachable, but I do get numeric ip6 responses, ie: 2001:818:d9d9:xxxx:xxx:xxxx:fefa:400a (2001:818:d9d9:xxxx:xxx:xxxx:fefa:400a) icmp_seq=6 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable ) so the next question is what am I doing wrong,  do I have to keep the same prefix, do I use some kind of subdelegation (ie 2001:818:d9d9:xxxx:xxx:xxxx:fefb:400a/64 instead of 2001:818:d9d9:ba00:xxx:xxxx:fefa:400a/64) as my router in the gui? or do I play an old IPv4 trick and use 2001:818:d9d9:ba00:xxx:xxxx:xxx:4001/64 (one up) as my router address? 

Established Member
Kudos: 323
Solutions: 65

[ Edited ]

Do wired clients get an IPv6 address?

If so then you've probably got Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data checked. This breaks ARP broadcasts which I still find mind-bogglingly stupid.

Edit - overlapping replies Man Happy

Dear Vestas,

All clients be it wired or wireless get a live IPv6 address when i use the ISP provided ONT. When i use the USG i can get as far as getting a ping6 at the wan point, but behind it i get network unreachable for both wired and wireless.