Kudos: 9

ISP Load in 5.9.29

[ Edited ]

I've just upgraded to 5.9.29, and got "ISP Load: BAD". I've never noticed this statistic before, does anyone know how it's calculated? Given that (due to location) my only ISP options are satellite (>700ms latency) at night and 4G (better latency but quite variable) through the day, am I just stuck with the "Bad" rating? There's a setting for ISP capability (bandwidth only), but that's probably meaningless when latency is so poor......

Also, why is the time still wrong? I was told many months ago that "the next version" would fix my issue with all the statistics being shown in the wrong timezone, yet it's still wrong! The timezone on my PC is correct (UTC+11), the timezone in Unifi is correct (UTC+11), but all my statistics are wrong. This is even more irritating now that the dashboard has timed events all over it! As I look at the screen now (4.11pm) I'm seeing statistics for 4am-5am..........

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

Re: ISP Load in 5.9.29

I too, would like more information on this please.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 10

Yeah, the ISP load is totally bogus. Doesn't even take upload into it's calculation, on my cable connection I can 100% saturate the upload and ISP load will be a solid green GOOD. I don't know why they need to dumb it down so much, the raw numbers in 5.8 were perfect I think.

+ UAP-AC-LR + UAP-AC-Pro + UAP-AC-IW + 2x UAP-AC-M + UAP-nanoHD + on 4.0.21
+ USW-8-60W + USW-16-150W + USG 3P + on 4.0.15 / 4.4.36
+ LXC controller 5.10.10
Kudos: 2

Agree, current implementation doesn't provide enough information.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

I have 4 locations with USG and I've installed the latest 5.9.29-11384-1, one has the ISP Load:Bad.  

Established Member
Kudos: 396
Solutions: 102

Settings > Site > Provider Capabilities. If you don't set it there, you will get incorrect results.

@RobbieH wrote:

Settings > Site > Provider Capabilities. If you don't set it there, you will get incorrect results.

Unfortunately it's not that easy for those of us forced to work with less than perfect connections! The theoretical capability of a 4G link has little bearing on the actual speed at any given point in time, and the same applies to satellite. Additionally satellite, and 4G at times, has very high latency (>700ms) and whilst there is no setting for anticipated latency it may well be a factor in how the link performance is rated.

In my case I have specified the capabilities as 10/1Mbps, which is well within the "marketed" specifications for my link, but I still get "Bad". Is this simply because the latency is poor, which is interpreted as overload? With satellite links the speed only ever ramps up on downloads because the high latency kills speed in send/reply scenarios. Certainly the actual load is normally only a few kbps, yet the rating is still "bad"........

Kudos: 1

If you run the speed test and then go to the provider capabilites setting.  There will now be a "Pre Populate" which will use the custom actual settings from the last speed test as opposed to the "theoretical settings:

I know my ISP packet prioritizes speedtest.net traffic, so always shows an inflated set of numbers.   Then real world it's 'bad'.

Most ISP's prioritise speed tests 'round these parts, and also will only "accept" results from their own selected test servers when discussing performance. So any test result is largely irrelevant.....

In this case the UniFi speed tests gives me a higher number than I had originally entered, which is not surprising because I did input a number which was well within the advertised ISP spec. Predictably the auto-populated speed test results still give a "bad" rating.

It is still my suspicion that the "bad" rating is not related to the throughput, because my throughput rarely gets above single percentage figures on the dashboard. However my LATENCY is high because of the combination of 4G and satellite services. There is no way to set the expected latency, and I suspect that UniFi is regarding 700ms latency as being caused by ISP congestion, hence my "bad" rating. When system designers have massively high speed links they often design their system on the assumption that everyone else does too. If, for example, the designers of the MS Store had to deal with Kb/s download speeds and 20Gb/month data allowances you can bet that the Store would have the ability to backup and restore a 90GB game download, rather than just a glib "download it again" statement!

Kudos: 6

[ Edited ]

Looking at the javascript code, there are 5 categories for the ISP Load:

• EXCELLENT: 0-19 ms
  • GOOD: 20-74 ms
  • FAIR: 75-149 ms
  • POOR: 150-249 ms
  • BAD: 250+ ms

From main.manage.v5.9.29.0.js:

// line 36143:
            latencyThresholds: [0, 20, 75, 150, 250],

// line 48149:
            }, this.updateWanStatus = function(t) {
                if (this.repository.model.getNested("devices_status.ugw.adopted"))
                    if (0 !== t.length) {
                        var e = [l.EXCELLENT, l.GOOD, l.FAIR, l.POOR, l.BAD],
                            n = i.scaleThreshold().range([""].concat(e)).domain(c.latencyThresholds),
                            o = t.map(function(t) {
                                return n(t)
                            }).reduce(function(t, e) {
                                return t[e] = void 0 !== t[e] ? t[e] + 1 : 0, t
                            }, {}),
                            r = .1 * t.length,
                            a = 0;
                        e.reverse().every(function(t) {
                            return !((a += o[t] || 0) > r) || (p = t, !1)
                        })
                    } else
                        p = l.UNKNOWN;

The USG sends the controller the latency metric periodically, but I'm not sure how this is calculated — I'm guessing it's against the echo server, which is ping.ubnt.com by default. I'm also assuming this is simply done by measuring ICMP latency and not something fancier.

However, even when I change the echo server to my upstream gateway, I still see really high values despite mtr saying otherwise.

That being the case it is pretty much as I thought. The "ISP load" has nothing to do with the amount of data being transferred, as the system is simply using the latency and assuming that high latency is a result of ISP congestion. So those of us who have satellite links the ISP load will always report as "bad". The speed test and Provider Capabilty settings are presumably there only to allow the % Internet Capacity to be calculated.

Emerging Member

@RobbieH wrote:

This makes no difference here. I have the correct values pre-populated and have been getting "Bad" ISP load for over a week now. I think (but am not sure) this coincided with me installing beta firmware for my two nanoHDs, my USG-3P and my US-8-150W. I've had my UniFi setup for about a month and it used to read "Good".

Kudos: 56

All of a sudden I'm having this issue now too.

My circuit is barely used (75/8) and my latency is 28 ms, which should quality for a GOOD rating.

Feels like a bug to me...

2018-12-01_20-18-38.jpg

Kudos: 3

I agree with you, I believe this metric is bogus.  My connection is 200/20, speedtest.net returns 211/22 with 3-10ms latency.  The internal meter on the Unifi controller returns 170/22 with 3-17ms latency by these metrics I should be "good" but I've never seen the value change from "poor".  I believe this metric is like the "close the elevator door" button, you can push it all you want but the door will close when it wants to.  Likewise I don't believe this metric doesn't represent any useful data at this point.  Maybe in the next release.

How to change this values

Not everyone is in the USA or Japan or Germany, some ISP has high latency, but the final result is Very Good (not Exellent) But works in our locations!!

Regards!!

Emilio I. Wilde
Kudos: 10

This is still occuring in 5.9.29.1

I have done the speed test and then prepopulated the device as suggested but it's still indicating "bad". Furthermore, there seems to be no issue with my network. Users are not reporting anything out of the ordinary and my speed test metrics are basically the same as they have always been so I am really confused regarding why it's all of a sudden 'bad'. 

I thought by updating the firmware this morning it would have resolved whatevr issue is occuring but it's not changed anything.

Need Some Explanations
SpeedTest shows 18 ms Latency

But the entire system is ISP Load "FAIR"

FAIR-Isp-Nts.PNGFair-Blef.jpg

Emilio I. Wilde
Established Member
Kudos: 396
Solutions: 102

I'd rather go back to it telling me how much is being used in each direction, but I can't figure out a way to do that.

Kudos: 3

Yes this whole thing doesn't make any sense.  I also am at 18ms but mine is listed as excellent.  However my speed is much higher 167/22 so it is likely looking at the up/down + latency to create its rating.

I would rather go back to just showing me the last speed test results, as in previous versions, and let me determine whether it's good, bad or ugly.  

Anyone with the skill level to properly configure a Unifi network is knowledgeable enough to determine whether they are having network or ISP problems without having the interface dumb it down with some arbitary bad-excellent badge.