Kudos: 1

Is UniFi reliable enough for home use?

[ Edited ]

First of all to qualify - by "reliable enough for home use", I mean you don't have on-site personal that can physically tend to the equipment on a daily basis.  If I leave out of the country for 2 months, I need to be able to access all devices, cameras, NAS's in the site without equipment that need reboots or factory resets. Even if I'm just in the office for the day, there is no way my wife can know how to repair anything.

I thought - hey let's start with the best, and I'll outfit my house with an EdgeRouter & 3x EdgeSwitches a couple of weeks ago.

That was quite the awakening - figured out Edge equipment are DEFINITELY not ready for home use. Apparently the EdgeRouter dashboard hasn't worked in years and Ubiquity isn't interested in fixing it, one EdgeSwitch overheats itself in a 68 degree A/C room, another EdgeSwitch still just freezes periodically. The 3rd one kept hanging until I unplug all the equipment on it and plug them back in into different ports on the same switch (WTH?). All 4 of them periodically has the admin UI go down until a reboot. Each one of them required a Factory reset. And this was all in the expanse of 2 weeks. So needless to say my EdgeXXX equipment is all going back.

Is the UniFi line any more reliable than this? I have a CloudKey for my AP's, which is a joke because it can't run for more than 6 hours before it needs a physical reboot, but at least I can host UniFi on the cloud and manage things through there.

What about the actual UniFi line of routers and switches? Am I going to be able to run those and not have to physically tend to them for years? (Remote is fine). Or is that an unrealisitic expectation and I really need to go back to LinkSys/NetGear equipment?

Established Member
Kudos: 549
Solutions: 45

Re: Is UniFi reliable enough for home use?

[ Edited ]

Yes so long as you don't mess with Beta.

My home network has been super reliable compared to my old Asus router with stock or merlin firmware.

I use a USG and CK with a few APs and switches.  Only reason for me rebooting in over a year is when i chose to update firmwares or controllers.  Only downtime was caused by DHCP on my synology going down (the synology PSU failed).  Since then i have static IPs on all networking equipment :-)

I am not an expert and don't play one on TV.
Don't forget RTFM https://www.ubnt.com/downloads/guides/UniFi/UniFi_Controller_V5_UG.pdf it really is impressive documentation.
Kudos: 4

I have a fully meshed out 3 ap and UNIFI Security gateway deployed in the home and pool area and its very stable and reliable. Only issue is that I dont get the ful amount of bandwidth from my gig connection, but as soon as a newer generation of SG comes out I'll just roll this up to our business and get the latest hardware for home use. 

Betas are a problem, but in reality its sometihng I bring on myself. 

I find it extremely reliable.   I have a complete unifi system in my main house and my vacation home that's 1300 miles away.   I haven't had a stitch of problems in either site.   My only difference is that I run the unifi controller in a vm at home and on a little intel NUC in my vacation property.   USG/UniFi 8 port POE/AP AC pro access points.   My vacation unit switch and USG is in an enclosed space that tends to get a little warm with no problems whatsoever.

It works great in my remote location.   No worries when guests use the house and quit bullet proof here at home.

Would recommend to anyone.

@admiral688 wrote:

I have a fully meshed out 3 ap and UNIFI Security gateway deployed in the home and pool area and its very stable and reliable. Only issue is that I dont get the ful amount of bandwidth from my gig connection, but as soon as a newer generation of SG comes out I'll just roll this up to our business and get the latest hardware for home use. 

Betas are a problem, but in reality its sometihng I bring on myself. 

Doesn't the XG 8 give you full 1 gig bandwidth even with DPI and IPS?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 1

I have a UniFi system at home that runs veru well. I used to have a Linksys Router/Switch/AP and an older Router running as AP in the other end of the house.

Today I have 1 USG, 2 UniFi switches, 1 Cloud Key and 2 AP-Pro's. It is by far the best upgrade I have do to the network ever.

The only real problem I have had was caused by myself. I like statistics, so I had the controller (running on Cloud Key) setup to collect as many data as possible which filled up the database so I could no longer see logs, or log DPI. I changed the data retension to something more useable and it had been running fine ever since.

I never install beta firmware, and whenever a new official release is out I usually wait 8-10 days before updating to see if others have issues.

Since the last USG reboot (I had to do some electical wiring so the power was out) it has been running for 14+ days without any issues. Prior to that reboot it had been running since last update.

The first UniFi product i purchased was a US8-60W switch which had been running 100+ days until I rebooted everything 2 weeks ago.

I have a 100/100 Mbit/s connection and when doing speedtests I usually get 100-110 Mbit/se with DPI and IPS turned on.

I have a AP-Pro in each end of the house and I have never had better coverage. Laptops, tablets and phones does roam seemlessly as we move around the house.

I'm never going back to consumer grade again Man Happy

Regards,

Michael Lund Milo

USG 3P - USW-8-60W - USW-8-150W - 2 x UAP-AC-Pro - Cloud Key
Kudos: 33
Solutions: 6

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here's a thousand words worth of pictures. It should give you an idea if I think it's reliable enough for home use.....

The offline mesh pro is one I use for testing so it's only connected periodically.

Ubiquiti.jpg

Kudos: 37
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

I run a mixture of UniFi and Edgerouter and so far, it has been amazing with many weeks going by before I log in to look at anything, I don't need to log in as the system is running fine, but I just login to the router X SFP or UniFi to check in to see what is happeneing.

I run the Edgerouter X SFP, 2 x UniFi 8 port switches, 6 Unifi cameras with NVR, a Pro access point and an outdoor Mesh access point.

And it just works, no resets, no dramas and no hassles. 

Weeks and weeks at a time with very little to no interference from me, I just forget about and leave it to do it's work.

and it just works, so yes, you could say I'm happy! 

Kudos: 96
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

To the original post- I really have to ask which firmwares/version you are running?

I have EdgeRouters/Switches and Unifi in production at multiple sites- residential and commercial. My original EdgeRouter Poe just had to be replaced- but had 2 years 3 Weeks uptime prior to having some issues yielding a pro-active replacement.

I have an EdgeSwitch in operation that showed 586 days uptime last i had looked.

Separate from that, I have CloudKeys at multiple sites. My most prolific runs 1 on-site setup and 3 remote locations, approximately 15 APs, Switches and Gateways. I've only had to reboot it twice over the past 3 years. (reboot where I forced it due to a hangup. there have been other reboots when I have done updates)

I'm not sure if you had some bum units or maybe just an odd mix of incompatible firmwares, but you are definitely experiencing some odd results compared to everything I have crossed in the last 3 or 4 years. Is there anything on your network that could be generating some of the issues? Most important, how is you electricity? I run everything through UPC's to clean up my spikes and valleys. I can't say if that has any effect with certainty, but I have not had any of the issues you've crossed. Good luck!

Kudos: 4

I work A LOT from home so a stable network is VITAL for what I do as I push A LOT of data though my network.

I started off with with two EdgeRouter, one for my home and one for my weekend place BUT I made the mistake of getting UniFi AP's which worked out, I felt was a pain to manage the two different types. (not to mention I was running all NetGear managed switches which added another layer of management)

I ended up replacing the EdgeRouter gear with UniFi USG and got cloudkeys for each site.

After switching my AP's and router to UniFi I absolutely love it, it's stable, I'm gettin my full bandwidth (it's not 1Gb, 80Mb at each end) though my network and AP's.

The VPN between my house and weekend place (about 90 miles away) is great, stable, never goes down.  My weekend place on fiber and has a little more bandwidth than I have at my home so I put my 36TB Plex server there and so far, no network/bandwidth issues viewing 1080P MKV movies.

I'm in the process of replacing my NetGear GS108T switches with UniFi switches and I've found that where I have replaced the switches my bandwidth seems a little better. (Out of each LAN port on the USG I have a US-8 switch, LAN1 is for the network and LAN2 has the AP's, each room has a switch that is has it's feed coming from the US-8 on LAN1)

As mentioned, STAY AWAY from beta code and you'll be fine.  I've been recommending the UniFi brand to everyone that vists and asks what network gear I'm running for my "guest" network and I'm in the process of installing a UniFi network for my parents (my dad buys the cheepest stuff he can get) so I can manage/fix issues for them remotely.

Kudos: 30
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

Undoubtedly yes. 

1x USG-P4 (Running the Dev version 4.5.3dev) 
4x APs (HD, Pro & Lite) all running 3.9.45
Cloudkey v 5.9.22
5x various Unifi Switches

With DPI and IPS switched on. (With 4.5.3 I get 350MbPS on a 380MbPS Cable connection with IPS on).

Never goes wrong, totally stable. And yes thats even with Beta Man Happy Before this I tried all the consumer grade "Super Routers" and custom firmware and they are not as stable,as fast, or as secure  as Unifi.
I live in a house with a wife and two teenage daughters, if the WiFi goes down, its a major panic. With Unifi the Wifi is secure and stable, the best thing I ever did was move to it. 

screenshot_1967.pngscreenshot_1968.pngscreenshot_1969.pngscreenshot_1970.png

USG-P4 (4GB)
4x APs (Various)
5x Switches (Various)
1xCloudkey
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

If set up correctly, it could be. a Better option would be to have an AirCube. From what I have heard from a few network installers, it is alot better than UniFi. It's definitely cheaper to install and gives better performance.

The AirCube can also be set up and monitored with the UNMS App on your phone, it's relatively easy to use.

Also for higher WiFi speeds, set:

2.4GHz band to 40MHz bandwidth.

5GHz band to 80MHz bandwidth.

Conditions allowing, of course.

I hope this helps!

Screenshot_20180810-120718.jpg