Kudos: 1

Re: Is there a problem with US-8-150W switches?

My unit that I repaired (more info above) is still working well. I would even go as far and say that it runs a bit cooler now.... it’s only warm to touch - it doesn’t have a burning hot spot on top...

Add me to the list.  Just pulled a US-8-150 thats been deployed for maybe 2 years.  Do we have any more information on if there was a bad production run with the power supply?

Established Member
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 45

@otatech wrote:

Add me to the list.  Just pulled a US-8-150 thats been deployed for maybe 2 years.  Do we have any more information on if there was a bad production run with the power supply?

I've had mine for 27 months with no trouble. (Knock on wood.)

I wonder how many of these are in the field? Everyone that has a failure is understandably unhappy, but mostly we only hear about failures, so we don't get a view of the failure *rate*.

SuperUser
Kudos: 10865
Solutions: 669
Contributions: 1

@phk46 wrote:

@otatech wrote:

I've had mine for 27 months with no trouble. (Knock on wood.)

I wonder how many of these are in the field? Everyone that has a failure is understandably unhappy, but mostly we only hear about failures, so we don't get a view of the failure *rate*.

Globally? Thousands.   We have close to 10 just in our network and have had zero issues...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 2

What would be nice to know is which model/batch/serial numbers have the Gospell-or-not in them. Then I could plan ahead for the increased failure rate... at this point I'm not sure if I should stock 1:1 spare PSUs to out-of-warranty switches...

I can say I have a lot more in the field working than not.  In fact, this may be the first of 20 plus deployed.  However, my recent particular pull seems to line up with this thread and the power supply being the failure point.

I'm brand new to Ubiquiti, just upgraded? a bunch of network gear to Ubiquiti and just had a Switch 8 150W die after a day of use. Was functioning fine, then this morning lost connection to our unifi ap ac pro, i rebooted the switch and now it wont power on. Is this gear reliable? I litterly have never had a switch fail in 20 years, and I dont seem to be the only one with this probelm. 

Is there a bad batch? Will my repacemebt fail? 

Misha

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

I think the more important question here is why is the warranty only 1 year? Other business models come with a lifetime warranty and UBNT is pushing themselves as "enterprise" grade.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

I just had a US-8-150 go on me sometime in the night last night.  In the AM, there was no Internet.  It was easy to see that the switch was the problem - no lights - nothing.  This switch has been running only about 18 months.

Given that I need the Internet for my work, I had to figure out something fast.  I borrowed a Toughswitch with 8 ports from a friend.  Used the console connection on the Toughswitch to get my UAP- AC -PRO's going and I am running well.

Frankly from my experience today - and what I am reading here - I am getting tired of the whole "Unifi" experience.  Just waiting for my next Unifi part to blow out on me.

Established Member
Kudos: 333
Solutions: 30

@popnfrresh wrote:

I think the more important question here is why is the warranty only 1 year? Other business models come with a lifetime warranty and UBNT is pushing themselves as "enterprise" grade.

It keeps the price down. If you want an unlimited warranty, buy the Elite support service. 

Established Member

[ Edited ]

@jonquiljo wrote:

I just had a US-8-150 go on me sometime in the night last night.  In the AM, there was no Internet.  It was easy to see that the switch was the problem - no lights - nothing.  This switch has been running only about 18 months.

Unfortunately, this happens. Stuff breaks. 

@jonquiljo wrote:

Given that I need the Internet for my work, I had to figure out something fast.

If you NEED the Internet for work, then you NEED a contingency plan for when the internet goes down. Unifi is REALLY cheap equipment and in your situation, I would have a complete set of spares available, al adopted and ready to swap in. And a slower, redundant WAN connection, AND an LTE modem and UPS cover for when the power goes off. 

@jonquiljo wrote:

Frankly from my experience today - and what I am reading here - I am getting tired of the whole "Unifi" experience.  Just waiting for my next Unifi part to blow out on me.

Don’t wait for it to blow out on you. Get a contingency plan in place. If you had a contingency plan today you’d have spent 10 minutes swapping out the affected component and been back up and running again. No stress.

Unifi has a 12 month warranty so that should give some indication of how long UBNT think the kit will last. I’m sure you’re going to buy something else for your next switch? What are you thinking? Meraki? Engenius?  I like Mikrotik personally. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@wja96 wrote:

If you NEED the Internet for work, then you NEED a contingency plan for when the internet goes down. Unifi is REALLY cheap equipment and in your situation, I would have a complete set of spares available, al adopted and ready to swap in. And a slower, redundant WAN connection, AND an LTE modem and UPS cover for when the power goes off. 

Well, its not like the world will fall apart if I go offline for a day.  Its just plain annoying to find out that this equipment has serious expiration time problems.  A switch breaking in a year and a half?  And this is common?  A switch is pretty basic stuff.  

Actually, Unifi is pretty overpriced if it is “cheap equipment.”  

Highlighted
Kudos: 339

@jonquiljo wrote:

@wja96 wrote:

Well, its not like the world will fall apart if I go offline for a day.  Its just plain annoying to find out that this equipment has serious expiration time problems.  A switch breaking in a year and a half?  And this is common?  A switch is pretty basic stuff.  

I love what UBNT is trying to do with UniFi, but I've not seen a lot of progress in the past 2.5 years since I started monitoring UBNT. Since then, I bought two UAP-AC-HDs, two UAP-IW-HDs, two SWITCH8, a UCK Gen 1 and a UCK Gen2 Plus. So, I've spent about $1600 on the UniFi equipment so far. 

Unfortunately, the state of UniFi since I first started looking into this equipment hasn't really improved that much in the past 2.5 years. Some new video cameras came out, but they are still not compatible with HomeKit, and there's no outdoor video camera with a speaker/mic combination. There's no Apple TV app for UniFi Protect. One could argue that UniFi is not geared to the consumer, not even to the prosumer, and that no UniFi prosumer installations is blesesed by UBNT. That would be a fair point except the fact that UBNT switches and even USG are not anywhere closer to being enterprise-class than they were 2.5 years ago. 

So, I'm starting to wonder what niche exactly is UBNT aiming its UniFi gear at. If it's not for prosumers or large residences, and it's not for the enterprise, then are we talking small and smaller-end medium business?

UBNT doesn't even have stackable switches, not even at L2. Obvoiusly, this sort of switching platform cannot be installed in any data center unless the data center is miniscule and is a misnomer more so than a real data center. With the lack of progress on the UniFi R&S front, the whole concept of controller-driven one-pane-of-glass routing/switching/Wi-Fi system is not valid. I think the bright side of UniFi is Wi-Fi, with everythig else lagging way behind. Even with video, it appears that other vendors are way ahead of UniFi. This is not as much criticism of UBNT as just my observation.

I still do not undertand what UBNT is trying to do with UniFi vs Edge lines of R&S equpment. It seems to me that Edge is a much more powerful proposition, especially now that the UNMS is pretty decent. It almost appears to me that Edge with UNMS is a better thought-out system than UniFi with SDN Controller. However, even on the Edge side of business, there are still no stacked swiches or any other way to provide multi-chassis LAG to clients. So, in reality, we are talking UBNT being about 20-25 years behind Cisco on the basic switching features. It pains me to say these tings, as I think UBNT is trying to do a great thing here, but I just don't think anything is going to change here any time soon with the feature sets. 

Therefore, I think what should happen is for UBNT to re-orient its UniFi line from "enterprise" or even "medium-size business" to pro-sumer /small business / smaller-end medium business. The reason I'm saying this is the fact that in this niche, moderately advanced features like multi-chassis LAG for instalce or L3 switching are not necessary. Networks of this size can run well on much more narrow feature set, so it's feasible to bring USG to the point that it becomes a decent fireall in the pro-sumer / small-business / smaller-end medium business niche. It's possible to leapfrog L3 switching altogether in this niche and do Inter-VLAN routing/micro-segmenttion on the USG as long as the downlinks to the switches are at least 10 Gbps. In this niche, simplicity of network design,  collapsed core/distribution switching layers, automatied configuration deployment to multiple devices, etc. make a lot of sense, and with the disruptive pricing that UniFi offers, there seem to be a lot of potential business for UBNT in this segment. 

I have been watching UBNT stock lately, and the stock is doing really well. I'm just not sure what line within UBNT is making all the money for them, but I doubt that UniFi switches, routers, video cameras, and IP telephony are huge revenue streams. 

Incidentally, UBNT used to have whole lines of IoT devices that have been completely abandoned by now even though home automation seem to be gaining speed year after year. I would think that UBNT should revive IoT lines and bring them under the UniFi umbrella and aim the entire UniFi at prosumer / small business / lower-end medium business sector to be able compete and win there. 

Established Member

@jonquiljo wrote:

Unifi does the same thing as Cisco Meraki, give or take a couple of features. It’s half the price to purchase and there are no ongoing licensing fees. So in that way, it most certainly is cheap. If you compare it to something like a top of the line consumer Netgear Nighthawk all-in-one it does more and costs about the same. 

People sling the term ‘Enterprise’ around as is it means something super high-end. It doesn’t. It means it’s flexible when confronted with lots of users and locations. Enterprise also generally means you NEED a high availability service level agreement so that means you need Elite. 

I get it that youre disappointed that your US-8-150W has failed 6 months after the warranty ran out but when you buy the new one, get it with Elite and it will always be in warranty. Or don’t and buy two. Or sell all your Unifi kit and buy Cisco Meraki. Then you might appreciate that Unifi is indeed cheap for what it does. 

Kudos: 339

[ Edited ]

UniFi doesn't do what Cisco Meraki does.

It's true that UniFi is cheaper than Meraki, and it's true that there is no ongoing licensing fee. If only UniFi could do close to what Meraki can do, UniFi would be a real deal.

Meraki security gateways are leaps and bounds ahead of USG. Meraki has L3 switching, it has stacked switches, it has its own VoIP hosted system, it has decent phones, etc. Its Wi-Fi is pretty amazing as well.

I hate Meraki's licensing model, but the equipment is solid SMB equipment that you can put in any under 1,000-employee company without really having to go enterprise Cisco equipment. This is not the case for UniFi or even UBNT Edge R&S equipment.

However, Meraki is pretty expensive for small businesses, so I would think that UniFi just needs to reposition itself and not try to compete directly with Meraki anymore because, obviously, UniFi is not able to compete with Meraki on features (except maybe in wireless). On the other hand, Meraki doesn't have two independent lines of routers and two lines of switches either, so I'm not quite sure why UBNT is doing this. I'm sure there's a reason behind it, but to me as an outsider, this just doesn't make any sense. 

I think UBNT is wasting development resources on having to support both Edge and UniFi. Obviously, Edge is not geared toward "lean IT" as much as Meraki and UniFi is, as Edge requires some intermediate knowledge of networking probably above and beyond what a "Jack of all trades; master of none" kind of IT person can master.

If someone were to ask for my advice, I would suggest merging UniFi R&S with Edge R&S and improving on the feature set available via the controller in order to compete head to head with Meraki.