Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

Is there a problem with US-8-150W switches?

June 2017, I bought a US-8-150W to run UAPs and UVC G3 cameras. It died, no power, after a couple of weeks. By July, the site was back up and running on a warranty replacement. 

In light of the original unit's failure I was really apprehensive about the reliabbility of these switches. However, after 6 months I felt more confident in them and accepted that I had just been unfortunate enough to have ogtten a single bad unit. I was preparing to order some US-16-150W switches for other sites.

Last night, after only 9 months in service, the replacment US-8-150W died. No power.

I have a lot of other brand switches in service and although I have had some occassional failures from time to time, they are VERY rare with some of the switches in service for over ten years. Even at this site there are several other brand switches that have been flawless for years. But this second US-8-150W failure in under a year is looking like an untenable failure rate. I can't put a US-8-150W at this location again and I don't know if I should use them at all.

Is there an issue with this line of switches?

Established Member
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 45

Re: Is there a problem with US-8-150W switches?

Are you letting them get too hot? Since they are fanless they need to be given adequate passive airflow. If you have them in an unventilated closet with other stuff stsckes on them you will likely have bad luck.

Ambient temperature has never exceeded 26C. The switch has never reported a temperature problem to the controller. Other switches from Cisco, Netgear, and TP-Link continue to operate in the same enclosure without issue for years now.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 185
Solutions: 7

Hi @Private_

Thanks for reporting this issue.

This is not expected to happen with our switches and I will be contacting you via pm with further information.

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

FREE UBRSS Student Guide-Great Intro to Routing & Switching!

Having connectivity issues? See: UniFi Debugging Intermittent Connectivity Issues on your UAP

Learn How to Establish a Connection Using SSH Here

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10

Possible downside to UBNT then. Other providers have a lifetime warranty. Maybe UBNT could increase warranty?

Sad to see I’m not the only person. I’ve had 2 failures as well. 2nd time just happened and the switch is now out of warranty. I too am becoming apprehensive. Problem is, I am already committed to a Ubiquiti ecosystem in 2 locations... Thinking long and hard on what to replace it with.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 2

My 8 Port 150W also died. It died on the 25th May at 12:53am. My modem died as well which was attached to it via a USG and also my TV HDMI inputs were fried along with the HDMI outputs of my Sky set top box. Both of these also attached to the 8 port switch.

I had POE turned off on these ports so nothing should have gone down them but when it died who knows.

The Sky box and TV were on surge protected sockets. The modem would no longer go at 1000 and only 10/100 and could not connect to it via the LAN connection.

Still waiting for my warrentee replacement for the switch but the company I purchased it and the modem from has replaced the modem. Sky box was replaced by the Sky supplier. Had to purchase a new TV (insurance I hope).

My security cameras are down because they were relying on the POE to power them.

Kudos: 117
Solutions: 5

Just had the same issue. 

1x switch complete failure. Won’t power on. Just hear a slight click when power is turned on. 

1x multiple ports all failed. No network activity or POE. 

Being in the UK it’s expensive for us to keep returning these switches to the US. Our supplier WiFi-Stock says they didn’t supply them. They say this about any switch they’ve supplied which is really getting annoying. I think Ubnt need to look into this supplier. Clearly trying to get out warranty claims. 

[ Edited ]

Our US-8-150W  has died too.  Very suddenly, on June 12th, 4:31 am it passed away. Haven't buried it yet. Is there any way to revive it, @UBNT-DavidS?

Established Member
Kudos: 313
Solutions: 119

@h2009

Hi, did you try the latest firmware 3.9.40x here?

Please reward people who have helped you with kudo's and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @Quattro71

Thanks for the page here. I will be contacting you via PM to gather further details of the switch.

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Having connectivity issues? See: UniFi Debugging Intermittent Connectivity Issues on your UAP

So in my case the problem was the internal 240vac to 48vdc power supply. It is a stand-alone module. I was able to hot wire in a 48v power supply I already had, and the switch powered up. I was then able to update the firmware, and had it running for over 12 hours without issue. I’ve ordered an exact replacement power supply - awaiting delivery. Hopefully it lasts a bit longer....

Kudos: 117
Solutions: 5

On the switch that is still visable on the dashboard its was the latest firmware. 

The other one is dead completely. 

They've been sent back now so I guess Ubnt will see them soon. But I'm fairly certain that this is a manfacturing issue. 

Kudos: 6

My Unifi-8-150 switch died this morning. No POE power. Went into service in March of 2016 so lasted about 2 years. I, too, have other brands of POE switches that have been in service for 5-10 years without issue. @UBNT-DavidS can you help me out?

Thanks,

Carl

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @cwoldberg

Thanks for the page here,

I will send you a pm to gather some more information about this switch.

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

Hi all

I have the exact same issue. My US-8-150W just died yesterday. No LED, not possible to reset, no nothing. Happended one year and one day since purchase 17/27/07. 

Have opened an RMA (RM278942) and have a support request (#1339664) 

Will contact the seller today and here what they have to say. 

The switch was running beta version 3.9.43.9166 and have board revision 12.

You with issues before. How have those issues been resolved? 

Regards 

Lars Johansson

I received the power supply module as mentioned above. It was almost identical component wise. Physical size and mounting holes were identical. Installed in the switch and it has been running well for several weeks. Seems to even run a bit cooler now...

Emerging Member

Hi jpoppi
Did you get the PSU from Ubiquiti or did you buy it yourself?

[ Edited ]

Nah I bought it myself - I didn’t think Ubiquiti would sell me one so I didn’t bother asking. I actually found the OEM / part numbers in another post (on here I think) - I could see the details on the module itself as well. But for your info, this is the one I bought: 

Mean Well USA Inc. ASP-150-48 from digi-key.

(Sorry for some reason I can’t get the link to work)

Disclaimer: I did a test with another 48VDC power supply I already had to confirm that the original power supply only had died. I know for a fact that that my 1st switch had a failed power supply as well (replaced under warranty). I can’t say that you will be in the same boat though.

I guess this goes to show that I’m committed to using Ubiquiti gear, since I went to the effort to repair it...

Emerging Member

Hi jpoppi
Thanks for the quick reply!
I’ve returned the switch to my supplier and hopes for a quick warranty/RMA handling