Re: Is there a problem with US-8-150W switches?

same problem - US-16-150W died last night at 2am after 18 months.

after a long day getting local support (i am 3,500 miles away) i've pulled in an old toughswitch and cisco hub to fill the gap....

I have 5 of the 16 port switches and am thinking about plan B as this is the second switch fail this year for PSU or POE problems.

My US8-150W died last weekend. Also after just 1 1/2 years. Connected an external 48V power supply to the pcb and the switch turned on just fine.
So it is also the internal power supply that had failed.

Hi All

My Ubiquiti installation is a week old. Happy, but ...

One finding is that the US-8-150W Details view shows Temperature as 67C

The surrounding/room temerature is like 23C

The Statistics view/graph shows CPU at around 60% flat/constantly, for no reason !

UC-CK, USG-4-PRO, US-8-150W, 2xUAP-AC-PRO, 2xUAP-AC-LITE
Synology NAS
ISP - 300/60
Established Member
Kudos: 333
Solutions: 30

@Ziggy-too wrote:

Hi All

My Ubiquiti installation is a week old. Happy, but ...

One finding is that the US-8-150W Details view shows Temperature as 67C

The surrounding/room temerature is like 23C

Does it worry you? It’s actually the in-die CPU temperature. The board temperature is probably in the low 40’s.

It’s nothing to be concerned about. 

Holy cow, I thought I was the only one.  1 year old US-8-150w, no ports working.  Blue light comes on, no port lights, extremely hot to the touch even in well ventilated area with nothing on top of it.  Took out two AP's at our school and now I'm nervous about buying another one if they're this flakey.  I was actually trying to connect and update the firmware when I noticed the switch and  AP's were showing disconnected and now there's no getting this switch back online.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 6

I had a 16-port-150W die on me twice (i.e the replacement died)

Our local distributor in Australia replaced it the first time; the second time there was no stock so I accepted 2x8-port-150Ws. All of these are on UPS, ambient temperature is 25-30 degrees C; I'm following this thread carefully.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 2

i just had one die too. put into operation in Apr 2016; so just over 2 years.

there was a burning smell and a clicking sound until the power plug was pulled.

tried powering up but no lights at all.

i was running PoE on 3 ports, powering a UAP-AC-LR and 2 US-8s.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

And just like that...  I'm buying a spare.

I seem to have a lot of spare Ubiquiti equipment for such a small installation.

Kudos: 71
Solutions: 3

This kind of makes me nervous about my us-8-150w. It's about two years old and it lives in my detached garage, so it's dealing with houston-levels of heat right now (it's probably 110-120F in the garage with the door shut during the day). The switch is definitely running a little toasty, which I know will shorten its lifespan and I'm okay with that because I need a switch out there. But yeah, it's running warm.

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 7.25.17 PM.png
Kudos: 4

+1

You can add me to the list, mine failed after less than a year.

Purchased from the (overseas) official distributor, and two months later still waiting for a replacement. It's highly unlikely that I will purchase again.

Kudos: 32
Solutions: 3

Starting to get worried after a fairly heavy investment in Unifi products, I only have one 8 port/150W, its about 8 months old. 
Watching this thread with interest! 

USG-P4 (4GB)
4x APs (Various)
5x Switches (Various)
1xCloudkey
Established Member
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 45

@Charlie_Coker wrote:

Starting to get worried after a fairly heavy investment in Unifi products, I only have one 8 port/150W, its about 8 months old. 
Watching this thread with interest! 

Mine is nearly two years old with no sign of trouble. (Knock on wood.)

Kudos: 339

@veldthui wrote:

My 8 Port 150W also died. It died on the 25th May at 12:53am. My modem died as well which was attached to it via a USG and also my TV HDMI inputs were fried along with the HDMI outputs of my Sky set top box. Both of these also attached to the 8 port switch.

I had POE turned off on these ports so nothing should have gone down them but when it died who knows.

The Sky box and TV were on surge protected sockets. The modem would no longer go at 1000 and only 10/100 and could not connect to it via the LAN connection.

Still waiting for my warrentee replacement for the switch but the company I purchased it and the modem from has replaced the modem. Sky box was replaced by the Sky supplier. Had to purchase a new TV (insurance I hope).

My security cameras are down because they were relying on the POE to power them.

Lightning strike or power surge? Was it plugged in to a UPS?

i had a direct lightning strike at my house two years ago that fried half of my electronic equipment. I had thousands of dollars in damage. The switch was an expensive Cisco switch. I had the switch plugged in to a UPS, but nothing can protect from a direct lightning strike. 

Established Member
Kudos: 784
Solutions: 19

@epigram wrote:

i just had one die too. put into operation in Apr 2016; so just over 2 years.

there was a burning smell and a clicking sound until the power plug was pulled.

tried powering up but no lights at all.

i was running PoE on 3 ports, powering a UAP-AC-LR and 2 US-8s.

I have another too. Died after two years and about two weeks. I measured the voltage from the psu which Angered from about 15-30 V DC.

Kudos: 117
Solutions: 5

So an update on my situation: finally received my 2x replacement SW from WiFi-stock after 7 months of chasing!! 

Both have died within 1 day of usage. Strong smell of burning inside. One switch has 1x POE port enabaled the other had 6x POE ports powered. In each case power 24v AP lites gen 1. 

Ive raised an RMA for the 1st switch last week and will do the second switch today. 

Kudos: 339

@lee_ars wrote:

This kind of makes me nervous about my us-8-150w. It's about two years old and it lives in my detached garage, so it's dealing with houston-levels of heat right now (it's probably 110-120F in the garage with the door shut during the day). The switch is definitely running a little toasty, which I know will shorten its lifespan and I'm okay with that because I need a switch out there. But yeah, it's running warm.

Not trying to discount all the reports here about failing UniFi switches, but keeping a switch in a non-air conditioned garage in Texas is switch abuse. Only switches specifically made for extreme temperatures are suitable for such installations. UniFi switches were never designed for such harsh environmental conditions. 

It’s disconcerting to hear about all these switch failures. Cisco enterprise switches last forever. 

Established Member
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 45

@h2009 wrote:

So an update on my situation: finally received my 2x replacement SW from WiFi-stock after 7 months of chasing!! 

Both have died within 1 day of usage. Strong smell of burning inside. One switch has 1x POE port enabaled the other had 6x POE ports powered. In each case power 24v AP lites gen 1. 

Ive raised an RMA for the 1st switch last week and will do the second switch today. 

This smells to me like environmental problems, or else you have been cursed.

Well, add me to the growing list of US-8-150W switch failures, I purchased mine (along with USG & CloudKey) 03Mar2017 and it has failed completely (no LEDs illuminating) on 16Nov2018.

I emailed the dealer they were purchased from and they stated only 1 year warranty, now that's crappy for a $330 (AUD) piece of kit.  I can't afford to replace this switch every 20months.

Netgear equipment has a 5year warranty.

Fortunately I had a POE injector to power up one of the UAP-AC-PRO access points, the other PRO & LR remain offline and the whole system is in a degraded mode, not happy.

Peter (Australia)

Add another to the list.  

My 8-150w switch has just died 1year and 3 weeks from purchase. No lights, just a faint clicking sound when mains power is applied. 

Kudos: 150

[ Edited ]

Piling on; a well-cooled, UPS protected US-8-150W cooked its PSU the other day; opened it up - big sh*tstain on the PSU's insulation sheet. It's a Gospell. Been in-service for about 20 months; not sure when I bought it.

Powering 4x UAP-AC-Pro and one ER-X. (Replaced with US-8-60W and a PoE Injector)

Also had a ES-8-150W also blow up in under a year (RMA'd), so I'm now quite gun-shy of this hardware family, be it Edge or UniFi.

Unless @UBNT-DavidS reaches out, I'll probably order the MeanWell ASP-150-48 from Mouser or Digikey and self-repair... or hang it off one of my -48VDC plants somewhere.

IMG_4083.JPG