Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Issues with gaming and new UniFi setup

Hello everyone,

I just recently installed a new UniFi setup in my Home.

Modem > USG 3P > 24 Port US-24-US > Clients.  I also have an 8 port PoE switch in port 2 of the 24 port to give my AP's PoE

Last night, after spending some time putting my rack together, I decided to play Apex Legends on my hard wired desktop PC.  I was also voice chatting with friends on discord.  At random times throughout my 5 hour gaming session (wife and kids on vacation YES!), voice chat and the game would freeze.  Now, the game wouldn't freeze as in my computer sucks and it's frozen.  It would just lag where I'd be running in place for a good 10-15 seconds, and my friends couldn't hear me in discord and I couldn't hear them.  It would come back after those 15 seconds.

I had a continous ping on google on my laptop which was wireless, and no dropped packets.  One time out of the 10 times it happened, I noticed latency on the pings get high at the same time, but seemed like a coincidence.

IGMP is enabled, and setup is basically default at the moment.  Looking for some assistance.

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 5294
Solutions: 1761

All Replies
SuperUser

Re: Issues with gaming and new UniFi setup

Are you running either an RTX card, or a Killer Networks NIC?
I did it my way .... Man Happy

Uh, yeah...good guess lol.  I have a killer nic on my alienware.

SuperUser

There are reports of problems with that NIC and this game, pretty much as you've described.

When in doubt, a good Intel NIC is worth a try here.

At some point, there may be an updated driver for the Killer NIC.
I did it my way .... Man Happy

I appreciate the reply.  The weird thing though is, when I experience that weird lag issue, it also affects discord.  Still think its the nic?

SuperUser

Thanks so much Flipper!  In one of those threads, someone disabled a stream feature in the Killer NIC, which is what I did and it resolved everything.

It was just a coincidence I did the UniFi install and finally decided to try Apex right after to reward myself, lol.

Thanks again for your help!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

@flipper wrote:
Are you running either an RTX card, or a Killer Networks NIC?

Are people having issues with RTX cards and Ubiquiti networks? I just put together a new PC build using an RTX 2080 but havent had a chance to game with it yet.

I believe the RTX question was more related to the issues I was having with the game.