Kudos: 77
Solutions: 1

Joining Ubiquiti next week

Greetings everyone,

I’m Chris Buechler. A number of you probably know me as the co-founder of pfSense and project leader from 2004 until last week. My next stop: Ubiquiti Networks.

I’ll be leading a new initiative as part of UniFi. Beyond that, I’m not sure it’s something we’re ready to discuss publicly yet. You know my background, so you can probably accurately guess what I’ll be working on.

To answer the inevitable coming question in advance: No, we’re not forking pfSense. Man Happy Nor switching to BSD. 

I’ll be in San Jose on August 8 to get started, then working from home in Austin the bulk of the time from there.

Robert Pera recruited me to Ubiquiti knowing my 12 year background of success working with a community to release great software. Now I’ll be doing that here.

This is my personal account that I’ve had for several years. I’ll be switching to an employee account in August.

Look forward to working with many of you!

Chris

Kudos: 81
Solutions: 9

Re: Joining Ubiquiti next week

Welcome! Long time pfSense user (circa 2005). I was sad to see you leave the pfSense project, but glad you did it to join UBNT!

Kudos: 60
Solutions: 5

Welcome! Big fan of pfSense and looking forward to your contributions to the UniFi product line!

Kudos: 28
Solutions: 2

Whatever you're doing, I hope it deals with adding many features to the (current and future) USG line.

At any rate, good luck with the new job

Established Member
Kudos: 439
Solutions: 65

Well, this is exciting news indeed!
Established Member
Kudos: 957
Solutions: 12

Welcome!!
I can not teach you anything. I can only make you think. Please don't forget to mark posts as solutions, and to give kudos when something solves your issue.
SuperUser
Kudos: 3742
Solutions: 320

Welcome, Chris!  Looking forward to working with you!

Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1679
Solutions: 133

Welcome, Chris.

--another decade-plus pfSense user and fan.

Established Member
Kudos: 598
Solutions: 19

[ Edited ]

Ok nice! An interesting and exciting injection of new ideas into UBNT! ...I smell an EdgeMax GUI update coming...eventually! :-) Welcome Aboard! 

SuperUser
Kudos: 4503
Solutions: 1029

Welcome Chris. Should be interesting. I shall keep out of your way and let you get on with it. Enjoy your week off.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Established Member
Kudos: 553
Solutions: 18

Welcome Chris looking forward to the ideas you will bring.

SuperUser
Kudos: 7104
Solutions: 413
Contributions: 1

Hello Chris nice to have you on the team !!!Cheers2

Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
SuperUser
Kudos: 1994
Solutions: 114

SuperUser
Kudos: 8741
Solutions: 593
Contributions: 2

Welcome Chris !
ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
SuperUser
Kudos: 10434
Solutions: 637
Contributions: 1

Chris, hope you see as much potential in UBNT in general and UniFi in particular as we all do.   And there are many here who will be happy to help in any way we can.

Welcome to the Team

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 2431
Solutions: 37

As a long time pfsense user this is great news!  Thanks and welcome @cmb  Cheers2  

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway
To avoid the Gates of Hell, I use Linux
Professional Electron Wrangler
Kudos: 81
Solutions: 9

I'm hoping they pull all of the ER features into USG, but exposed with the ease of use of USG and the Unifi controller experience.

I can have my dreams, can't I? (grin)

SuperUser
Kudos: 7896
Solutions: 233

cbuechler wrote:

Greetings everyone,

I’m Chris Buechler. A number of you probably know me as the co-founder of pfSense and project leader from 2004 until last week. My next stop: Ubiquiti Networks.

I’ll be leading a new initiative as part of UniFi. Beyond that, I’m not sure it’s something we’re ready to discuss publicly yet. You know my background, so you can probably accurately guess what I’ll be working on.

To answer the inevitable coming question in advance: No, we’re not forking pfSense. Man Happy Nor switching to BSD. 

I’ll be in San Jose on August 8 to get started, then working from home in Austin the bulk of the time from there.

Robert Pera recruited me to Ubiquiti knowing my 12 year background of success working with a community to release great software. Now I’ll be doing that here.

This is my personal account that I’ve had for several years. I’ll be switching to an employee account in August.

Look forward to working with many of you!

Chris

@cbuechler 

We were very happy with pfSense at @SPITwSPOTS , and I have interacted with you on several occasions for support issues.

Congrats on 2.3 BTW!

I, like many others, am excited to hear this news and what it could mean. What a time to be alive Man Wink

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
SuperUser
Kudos: 5206
Solutions: 379

Wow - that's great news for UBNT!  If you can bring a fraction of the appliance oriented approach of pfSense over here it will be very, very welcome indeed.  

I'm looking forward to your future contributions!  

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 2

Congrats! This sounds like a push in the right direction, super excited about this!

Austin's a nice place.... When it's not 100 degrees....Lol