Kudos: 10

LLDP-MED not working (Aastra devices)

[ Edited ]

I am not able to get LLDP-MED working on our network.  We use Aastra phones (6731i and 6757i).  This issue was previously reported in this beta forum thread, but with no solution: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Beta/LLDP-MED-and-Aastra-Phones/m-p/2037463#M8...

Here is our network setup:

• VLAN 10 is the Data VLAN (10.90.10.0/23)
  • VLAN 30 is the Voice VLAN (10.90.30.0/24)
    • IP PBX server is located at 10.90.30.10 (Option 66/TFTP is pointed here), and ATA gateway to outside lines is at 10.90.30.11

When manually setting a switch port to the Voice VLAN (or Profile as it is not called), everything works correctly.  Phones get an IP in the 10.90.30.0/24 range, and are auto configured via the TFTP server at 10.90.30.10 (i.e. the TFTP server option under Advanced DHCP settings in the controller is working as intended).  So far so good.

Then, under Settings > Profiles > Switch Ports, I have added a new profile as follows:

• Name: Dynamic
  • Native Network: Data (10)
  • Tagged: Voice (30)
  • Voice Network: Voice (30)
  • Under Advanced Options > LLDP-MED is enabled

Now, if I change any port profile from Voice to Dynamic and power cycle the ports to restart the phones, the phones pick up an IP from the Data VLAN (10.90.10.0/23) range, not the Voice VLAN (10.90.30.0/24) range.  If I manually set the profile back to the Voice VLAN and power cycle, the phones are in the correct VLAN/subnet and functioning again.

Clearly the voice VLAN is set up correctly with the TFTP server and everything, but LLDP-MED seems to not be working.  What am I doing wrong?  Or is this an issue specific to Aastra phones (which don't seem to have this issue with LLDP-MED on other vendors)?

Re: LLDP-MED not working (Aastra devices)

Can confirm AASTRA phones are not working 

Polycom

Grandstream

Yealink

Mitel

Vtech

All work correctly however aastra phones do not access the vlan.

Any update on this issue?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 1

Could I trouble you for some assistance? We are using Polycom And I am trying to get Option 66 working but it won't take the URL in the TFTP field even though I have seen severa osts say it should. Plus, I am not sure if I need to use LLDP MED or not.

Option 66 is a dhcp scope option that is seperate from LLDP-MED 

Are you trying to use VLANs?

Are the phones getting ip addresses in the right scheme?

What version of the controller are you using?

Are the polycom phones configured to use option 66?

Emerging Member

Are you trying to use VLANs? Yes in most cases but others No

Are the phones getting ip addresses in the right scheme? Yes

What version of the controller are you using? 5.6.26

Are the polycom phones configured to use option 66?  Yes

Thanks for your assistance. After looking at what LLDP MED syas I don't think that matters. But we still can't get the phones to pull the config. We have used json files but they arent working for this one.

Are the phones getting the tftp information at all? you could probably do a packet capture on a mirrored port and analyze the dhcp requests to see if its being sent to the phone in the first place or if the phone is getting the tftp server but not able to download a configuration

What are you entering in the Tfpt Field?
Emerging Member

If you mean on the controller, I tried but the URL is web based, not TFTP server.

Im not sure what version it started on but you can type http://xxxx or ftp://xxxx ect depending on your needs. 

If you arent using the USG what are you using as your dhcp server?

Emerging Member

We are using a USG. Here is what I am getting

tftpinvalid.PNG

The URL looks like this https://commportal.mydomain.net/sip-ps/

Try upgrading your controller to the latest 5.6.29 i believe they fixed it. 

I allowed me to put that url in the demo controller at demo.ubnt.com

Emerging Member

That would be awesome, i will do that tonight. Thank you for the support.
Kudos: 4

Did you happen to find a solution to this?  I too use the 6757i models and am running into the phones hitting the data vlan.  

I have not. I was hopping for some support from ubiquiti on the issue. I am assuming there is an issue with the fast start 

based off of this thread with the edge switch

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeSwitch/Edgeswitch-24-250W-POE-Mitel-Aastra-Phones-LLDP-LLDP-MED-an...

but alas I am unsure how to change the fast start on the unifi line

[ Edited ]

Still no luck getting LLDP-MED working on Aastra phones.

@UBNT-MikeDor @UBNT-cmb, would you be able to comment on this?  It is very much a known issue but doesn't seem to be getting much attention at UBNT.  Appears that the fix would be fairly simple too - simply add the ability to change the Fast Start Repeat Count value to the controller.  This already seems to work on the Edgeswitch line.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 97

[ Edited ]

Is there a way to change the Fast Start Repeat Count value? (probably not as it's a switch option?)

As this might very well be the solution to our problems?

@UBNT-cmb

If there is a way to change this via CLI or JSON, that would work too.

Come on folks (paging @UBNT-cmb and others), this is very much a known issue and a fix for it exists on the EdgeSwitch side of things. If there isn't any developer bandwidth available to expose this in the UI, it would be very helpful if we had a way to implement this (Fast Start Repeat Count value changes) via CLI or JSON, for which we would need your assistance.

Based on this thread and others, I know for certain there are a number of us facing this issue, and some feedback or assistance would go a long way.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 97

[ Edited ]

I have added this as a request, as I was suggested this after messaging support about it.

We should probably all kudoes/comment on it so this gets implemented..

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/Request-LLDP-for-Aastra-Mitel-phones/idi-p/2351...

There is no json for the switches and CLI will only work till it provisions again.

I'm currently doing an eval of the Unifi line as a replacment for other brands of equipment and this kinda put us on hold. Having to work around this problem just isn't an option... Adding to the absence of decent QoS, basic inter-VLAN  L3 routing and no DHCP Relay is making this an uphill battle Man Happy