Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

LTE USB modem as WAN2 failover with Raspberry Pi

[ Edited ]

network_diagram.png

Recently, I was looking for a solution to share my LTE USB modem connection to the rPi's LAN port. I've searched for hours for a solution with no luck. Others just recommended me to buy an LTE router. Thanks, no. Then a fantastic guy on Stackexchange helped me a lot. And the solution was born. In my case I am going to connect rPi LAN port with my Unify USG secondary port to use rPi as a LTE failover connection.

https://github.com/adrianmihalko/rpiltehotspot/

Re: LTE USB modem as WAN2 failover with Raspberry Pi

This looks cool!

However for me , I live in the countryside and a regular USB based LTE 4G stick just wont get good reception, we have to use a Mimo antenna , with that said our government has provided a rural service that all ISP's can resell they all supply a Huwei B315 router and the sim card is locked to this device and you cannot use the sim card in another device so im stuck with the B315,  however i hooked that up to WAN2 and i get aboput 60~90 Down and 50 Up with 19ms Latency  so thats very good compared to my VDSL , i now loadbalance with 90% weighted to the WAN2 LTE connection and its brilliant.

You can get the router here for liek 40 bucks so its so much less hassle than building a rPI for me.

Hoever the tinker factor looks great and keen to see your progress

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

Re: LTE USB modem as WAN2 failover with Raspberry Pi

Thanks for your comment. My LTE USB stick also support external antenna. Man Happy

In our country we have an operator with 20€ unlimited data&voice, download rate is about 40/40. the only reason why I not bought an LTE router is the fact, that I already own the rPi. Plus I have more control over everything (limit traffic, speed, filter/block services).

In overall LTE services are pretty good as failover solution. The only downside that from my LTE ISP I get only NATed address.