Accepted Solution

Local DNS resolution not working correctly. I only get ping from my WAN IP with dyndns resolution

Hello unifi people,

I have trouble getting local dns resolution for a NAS appliance I have to run properly.

Have a look at my current setup.

network_diagram.png

## What I want to achieve. ##

My domain provider provides me with the ability to host a dynamic dns entry under my own domain.
This means sub.domain.tld points to my internet connection at home which is pretty nice.

I want to have a NAS appliance, reachable from the internet via cloud.dmz.mydomain.tld.
With port forwarding in the USG-PRO4 this works well.

At the same time I want to have access from withing my PRiVATE net as well. To be precise accessing the NAS appliance works but DNS resolution is not quite as expected.

## What I did ##

Setup up all my different networks.

networks.png

After setting up dyndns with my domain provider I was able to ping and access the NAS appliance from the internet.

From within my PRiVATE net this was true as well. However I always got a ping reply from my WAN IP instead of the NAS appliance. Which tells me local DNS resolution is not working correctly.

I did some googling and found the Domain Name entry in the settings for a specific network. There I entered my (sub)domain 'dmz.mydomain.tld' assuming if I bring a new computer with hostname 'cloud' into that network it would be pingable via 'cloud.dmz.mydomain.tld'. 

network_settings.png

Sadly this was not the case as I still got ping replys from my WAN IP.

And at this time I have no idea where to look next and hope some of you might point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance. I appreciate it very much!

Have a nice day!

Accepted Solutions
Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 3

Re: Local DNS resolution not working correctly. I only get ping from my WAN IP with dyndns resolutio

There are lots of threads regarding using USG for internal DNS.  Basically you have 2 choices:

1. The NAS is a DHCP client, and it will register whatever name is part of its DHCP registration process. You can then reserve that IP address under the ciient settings for that device in the controller GUI. The problem with this is that often it is impossible to control what the DHCP client on the device sends for hostname, and the Alias field in the USG doesn't change the DNS entry.

2. Create/edit JSON configuration file that maps machine names to IP address. This is the only way to get devices with static ip addresses (or blank/unwanted hostnames using DHCP) to be recorded in the USG DNS server. 

Many of us want DNS config in the GUI and a better discovery of hostnames, but if you want DNS today, it does require manual configuration for many things. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member

Re: Local DNS resolution not working correctly. I only get ping from my WAN IP with dyndns resolutio

There are lots of threads regarding using USG for internal DNS.  Basically you have 2 choices:

1. The NAS is a DHCP client, and it will register whatever name is part of its DHCP registration process. You can then reserve that IP address under the ciient settings for that device in the controller GUI. The problem with this is that often it is impossible to control what the DHCP client on the device sends for hostname, and the Alias field in the USG doesn't change the DNS entry.

2. Create/edit JSON configuration file that maps machine names to IP address. This is the only way to get devices with static ip addresses (or blank/unwanted hostnames using DHCP) to be recorded in the USG DNS server. 

Many of us want DNS config in the GUI and a better discovery of hostnames, but if you want DNS today, it does require manual configuration for many things. 

Well not the answer I was hoping for. But at least something I can work with. Thank you! 

I will have a look at the mentioned manual json configuration. 

But just out of interest. If not for DNS stuff, what is the "Domain Name" entry used for? What is the regular use case scenario?

Highlighted
Emerging Member

The DNS name suffix does apply to local DNS resolution where hostnames are provided - like DHCP or for those that you create manual entries for. 

Also that suffix is handed out with DHCP leases, and some clients require FQDN for name resolution.