Established Member
Posts: 860
Registered: ‎09-01-2014
Kudos: 394
Solutions: 51

Re: Mail Server Test Fails

[ Edited ]

ok, that's kind of indeterminate!

 

When I tried that from a Linux box I got;

 

[root@firewall ~]# telnet smtp.gmail.com 465
Trying 173.194.76.108...
Connected to smtp.gmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

Which proves I can connect to gmail smtp...

 

I've just tried the same from a console on an AP and it gave the same as you saw which doesn't really confirm it's managing to connect to gmail. The whole point of this was to see if port 465 was firewalled. "Connection closed by foreign host" would suggest not, but without seeing "Connected to..." it's hard to say 100% either way. [edit: the "Connect to" text comes from the telnet client itself - the BusyBox version on the APs doesn't display it, unlike the Linux version I used. It looks likely port 465 is not firewalled]

 

I think I'm out of ideas for getting gmail to work - the same settings work here, the only difference is that I'm on a Beta version controller.

 

Can you try the other idea from earlier - entering your domain's MX server as the smtp address?

If you found this post helpful feel free to sprinkle some Kudos!
Emerging Member
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-01-2017
Kudos: 4

Re: Mail Server Test Fails

I figured it out. The site I was trying to setup was only one version behind on the controller, but that aparently made the difference. The GMail settings worked as soon as I tried on an account running 5.8.24. Very concerning that I might lose alert status as soon as a controller is updated. 

 

Thanks everyone for the help! 

Established Member
Posts: 860
Registered: ‎09-01-2014
Kudos: 394
Solutions: 51

Re: Mail Server Test Fails

Glad you sorted it.... I'd assumed you'd already tried this on your newer controllers - that'll teach me!

If you found this post helpful feel free to sprinkle some Kudos!
Highlighted
Emerging Member
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-01-2017
Kudos: 4

Re: Mail Server Test Fails

So tonight I performed a controller, cloud key, and ALL device updates at all of my sites. When I was done, I replicated the above Web Server settings on each site location. The wierd part, post update, 8 of my sites sent a test email without issue. Two sites failed no matter what I did. I checked the settings at least 6 times and I was confident that they were exactly the same as the working 8 sites. I closed the cloud controller and failed sites, logged back in and tried to send test email again, still NOTHING. 

 

Finally I forced a reboot of the Cloud Keys at the two sites failing on the Web Server test. This fixed the problem. I performed the ubdates at each site exactly the same, and in the same order. Al of the equipment is exactly the same. I have no idea why this happened, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else is beating their head against the wall with this issue.