Solutions: 1

Migrate APs from old controller to new controller

I have APs that reside on a 2.4.6 controller and would like to migrate them to a new controller running v4.6.6.

What is the best way to move 15 APs over?

Thanks,

--Jacob

SuperUser
Kudos: 2095
Solutions: 399

Re: Migrate APs from old controller to new controller

Well, first of all, you can't simply "jump" from 2.4.6 to 4.6.6, you have to upgrade to version 3 first, then version 4. 

First of all, you do a backup before each phase. You can gra the last version 3x controller here.

After the backup procedure, you can upgrade the controller in place to version 3.2.10, then check to see if everything goes fine, wait a few hours(I would do this), make another backup of the controller, and the you can upgrade to version 4.6.6.

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br

I don't want to keep the old controller. Is there no other way to adopt the APs with the new controller?

For some odd reason, I can't run the backup/update. It gives me an error that the backup config isn't created.

SuperUser
Kudos: 2095
Solutions: 399

Then the only option is to manually reset and readopt each AP. This can be very easy, or a painful and slow process, it depends on the path you choose and the control you have over the whole network.

Easiest method is to forget(on the old controller), reset(either through the button or via ssh), then readopt(on the new controller). You can do one AP at a time, it will take some time, but it's pretty easy, and downtime is minimal. You can reduce downtime even further if you have control over the local DNS server(where the APs are), so if you point the "unifi" name(an A entry in the DNS server) to where your controller is, one an AP is reset it will appear right at the new controller interface, waiting for adoption, pretty easy. This method is covered in the L3 adoption and management at this KB article.

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br