Moved to a USG, now all LAN connected devices only show MAC addresses?

Hi all,

I've been a UniFi AP customer for some time, using a hosted controller in the cloud from the vendor I bought the AP's from (Broadbandbuyer, here in the UK) and its worked flawlessly for the last year.  I've just moved house and thought I would go for more UniFi kit to take advantage of the ecosystem.  Previously I had an EdgeRouter Lite locally installed and managed and that worked brilliantly, and showed me the computer names for most devices on my network.

As part of the house move, I have bought a USG (to add new features to the hosted controller, monitor bandwidth, etc.) and on the face of it, its looking good.. apart from the fact that now, none of my wired clients are showing up with their names anymore - they only show the MAC addresses.. I know I can put alisases in, but its somewhat annoying as my network changes fairly frequently!

Does anyone know why this is happening?  The wireless devices do show their hostnames, if I connect the same device that shows as a MAC address on wired to wireless, it also shows up.. so I can't imagine its a name resolution problem?

Can anyone offer any advice?

thanks!

USG.png

Kudos: 60
Solutions: 29

Re: Moved to a USG, now all LAN connected devices only show MAC addresses?

If you click on the two small gear icons on the top right of the table, you can edit the columns. One option is "Hostname". Granted all the devices are computers, they should return their hostname.

Another option is to go into your settings -> services -> DHCP. Enable both options. This will use your USG as the DHCP server.

Ultimately for devices that do not report a hostname, you will need to manually configure each one to give them the appropriate name. That's done by selecting the device from the clients list, going to configure, then entering an alias

Thanks for the response.. I tried that and have rebooted everything, still no joy Man Sad

USG.jpg

Kudos: 11

I reported a similiar problem in my environment in a different thread...

After reading this, it occured to me that maybe the controller only reports client names for devices with a direct UniFi connection- i.e. a UniFi AP or a UniFi Switch. In the site where I do not have client names appearing, I am not using a UniFi switch since I am on a shared Cisco Meraki switch with my own private VLAN.

Are your devices connected to a UniFi switch or some other brand?

-rd

Hi there,

Thanks for the thoughts!  My devices are not plugged into a UniFi switch, but I just tested with a couple of machines (one after the other) plugged directly into the USG on the WAN/LAN2 port and they didn't show up their hostnames either Man Sad

Its very strange, I would have thought it would get the hostname from the DHCP request.. its working fine for the wireless clients!

Established Member
Kudos: 572
Solutions: 73

You must have a UniFi Switch for it to know how much data is being pushed through. The USG relies on the UniFi line to report that information.

You have to replace the switches to UniFi ones for it to work.
Kudos: 11

By the way, all of my clients are pingable by name (as resolved by the USG) and their names appear in /etc/hosts.

I'm going to bring an 8 port UniFi switch to test with next week and see what happens. I'll try to remember to post results.

-rd

thanks, I'm not too worried about the amount of data transferred, but I would like to see the hostnames!

Established Member

It actually helps more than you might think to fix network issues if you see the data being transffered as well but adding the switch will give you the host names.

I just tried name resolution, and you are right.. it does work so the USG is getting the data, its just not getting back to the management console somehow..

Are there any of the UniFi switches that don't have fans?  My office is shared with the dining room, I can't have anything whirring away!  Currently using a fanless 24 port gigabit switch from Allied Telesyn, its been great for the last few years.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

bout to do this transition myself on monday

Established Member

the largest fanless design that you can buy from UBNT is the 8port 150w Unifi switch. Its fanless and has SFP for fiber ports but if you need 24 and fanless...not happening with UBNT switches. I have the 24 port 150w in a bedroom that is not used...its pretty loud. Even the 16 port that is made, is still way to loud even when not under a lot of load.

[ Edited ]

thanks.. I guess I could daisy chain two 8 ports together.. 13 should be enough...(minus one on each switch plus the USG connection).

Or maybe I just cut my losses on the USG and go back to the EdgeRouter instead... 

Highlighted
Established Member

Daisy chaining isn't the worst when its just two like that. Those are roughly $200 each. If you don't need all 8 ports to be PoE enabled, you can get the 8 port 60w switches. They have 4 PoE ports each and run $110 or so. The only stipulation on that model is if you your APs you have need 24v power instead of the PoE+ power, that won't work. The 60w ones only push out PoE+ power. The 150w can do both voltages.

Obviously this is all from US stores. I am not sure what your prices would be, sorry.

Cut your losses...it depends on if you don't care to get any stats for the controller. The USG is the brains of that operation to populate the controller.
Kudos: 60
Solutions: 29

When you log into your USG, does it show your devices listed under the DHCP leases and ARP?

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 16

[ Edited ]

Just to add a comment about the fans and noise levels that folks have mentioned......I have the US-24 (NON POE) and although there is fan, in my home network the fan on this unit only EVER comes on during its boot up cycle and then the fan turns off.....it will come back on once a certain temp is reached but my unit has never reached that yet.....plus I have no idea what temp is needs to reach to start the fan either?

As I type this post, the switch is telling me the temp is currently at 58°C and the fan is OFF.

The 24 port switch works out cheaper than 2 of the 8 port switches.

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

My US-24 switch is 61°C and the fan is OFF (19 clients on it)

But if you put your hand on the casing, it is lukewarm only, the temperature is on the CPU inside I think or maybe memory?

BTW of  my 37 LAN clients, currently they all show their names except two, one wired the other wireless. But I recall I had many with MAC address showing in past when I had non-UniFi switch connected to USG as first switch, then uplinked to US-8P-150 switch. I still have them but now they are further downstream, first from USG is now US-24

But not sure it has to do with switch, maybe some curently with names are those I made aliased for them before, mainly printers. I think with time and some reboots of LAN the names will show up. Mabye it also needs clients rebooted and on my LAN many run 24/7, maybe that's why they now show their names... worth experimenting if you identify one client by MAC and reboot it. But some devices it seems are more resistant to allow their names to be read by controller (or USG?). I remember when I still had mostly MACs in Clients tab, I was fondly recalling those times when all names were showing when I still had non-Unifi router in past...

January 2018 USG-3P - (Defunct after ~6mo, PCs lose internet access, shelved)] | 1xUS-8 PoE 150W | US-8, UCK | 4xUAP-HD | 4xUAP-IW-Pro

Fall 2018 added USG 4P | UCK-G2 | US-24P | US-24P 250W | 2x UAP-AC-HD | 6x UAP-IW-HD
Established Member

@VanDivX- I know its a switch issue as I have helped others with this same question in the community. They added a switch and everything started showing up as expected. This was a change in the firmware many revisions ago. I noticed it and was able to help others already. Man Happy

If you see something not getting stats, you might have to reconnect the wifi client in the controllers "client" tab. For the wired one, i'm not sure exactly. It might be a small database error causing that on the controller.

As for temp, I only know the 24 port PoE switch since that is what I have. Its currently running 4 cameras, 2 AC Pro's an In-Wall AP plus all the other ports are wired up to non poe devices, including the fiber ports. With 40 clients running its hitting 40 degrees Celsius but the fan is at level 70. I can hear it with it in a closet in a bedroom and I'm 10ft away in another room. Once in a great while, if I have a large box fan blowing on it for a few minutes and take it away, the switch will be "silent" to the point of being as quiet as my Plex Server right below it. But would be annoying in close proximity to a living room.

Just my 2 cents. The non PoE could be much better as it has to push less power through.

thanks all.. I've ordered a US-24 today, it will be here tomorrow so hopefully that will fix things!

I'm willing to go that far, based on what people are saying the fan shouldn't come on for me, so fingers crossed!

If its too loud or doesn't work, expect to see a US-24 and a USG on ebay soon!

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 16

If its the NON poe version you have ordered then that will defo be silent after the boot up cycle (unless its located in a hot environment).....I will say though that my heart nearly sank when the switch was powered on the very first time as the fan came on and im assuming at full speed and it sounded like a jet engine, then went off after about 1 or 2 minutes max.

In my set up, I also have this switch wall mounted vertically (behind a chest of drawers) with the air vents at the top and bottom so that will aid the natural air circulation and the temps as mentioned before have never been above 58°C.