Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Mystery MAC addresses on client view?

I have been using Ubiquiti for over a year now. I had every client in my network identified and labeled perfectly. All of a sudden about a week ago a bunch of MAC addresses started appearing in my client view? They come and go fairly quickly. They have no Vendor information which is odd? They are all coming through three different ports on different switches in my network with the majority (nearly 90%) of them coming through a port on one of my switches which is my NVR. I am not a networking dummy but also not an expert and cannot troubleshoot this. Can anyone guide me or help in any way?

Accepted Solutions

Re: Mystery MAC addresses on client view?

Found the answer. Go to this URL:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Unifi-Controller-client-list-shows-wrong-info-...

It is a different problem but it solves our problem as well. The solution is at the very bottom of the string. I did it and everything just fine now Man Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 3

I have a similar issues and could never figure it out. I did have a VmWare Debian instance that was creating a lot of interfaces but that was fixed. I still have multiple Mac addresses with no idea where they come from. Ni IP's assigned either.
Established Member
Kudos: 615
Solutions: 19

Please post your controller version as well as your hardware (w/ firmware versions).

Controller Version:
UI                5.9.29.1
Backend      5.9.29
Build           atag_5.9.29_11384

Firmware:
UniFi AP-AC-Pro and all Switches on FW v3.9.54.9373
UniFi Security Gateway 4P on FW v4.4.29.5124212

I have 4 x AP-AC-Pro, 1 x Switch 48, 1 x 8 POE-60W and 2 x 16 POE-150W

I just upgraded the controller to the most recent version. This was not occurring prior to the update. Could it be in the new controller update?
Kudos: 2

I have recently started seeing the same. In "Client" view they show no IP address and MAC does not correspond to any known vendor. In "Events" can generally find the same MAC address with a "Connected to ..." and then a "Disconnected From ..." and in almost all cases has been a 5 or 6 minute duration.

Cloud Key Controler Version 5.9.29-11384-1 and Firmware Ver. UCK.mtk7623.v0.12.0.29a26c9.181001.1444

Switch and AP Pro Firmware Ver. is 3.9.54.9373

My Cloud Key Current Version of FW is same - UCK.mtk7623.v0.12.0.29a26c9.181001.1444
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

For instance all of mine are on the same port  #3 on the switch.  The only device pluged in there is my Direct TV internet module

Duplicate-MAC.png

Kudos: 40
Solutions: 6

I have something similar going on. I just have random Mac addresses flooding insights... I can't remember the last time they got an IP though.
USG Pro
1 Cloud Key
16-POE-150w
3. 8-POE-60
2 UAP-AC-HD's
Emerging Member
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 6

ichilia,

In your case, it's your DirectTV device reserving more addresses.

See here for more: https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-DVR-Receivers/Why-are-multiple-IP-addresses-consumed-by-DirecTV-in...

Emerging Member

@Sura-M. Absolutely spot on mate.  Before I seen your post I moved that DirecTV device to another switch port and I got the same issue so clearly is the device.  Thanks for taking the time to re-search in my behalf Sir.  Cheers

I truly do not believe this is a result of any specific element. The predominant IPs being generated are coming from my NVR. I have had this NVR on my system for > 1 year and never seen this issue. The only change which occurred was an upgrade to the switch and Router FW as I do not routinely update FW on individual elements (i.e. appliances, servers, etc.) unless there is a critical need (security patch, etc.). I only maintain latest FW on switch and route environment. Given the only change was the switch FW I strongly believe this is related to something in this latest update.

Further, how would we explain the other ports which are doing the same thing? One of my ports which is having the identical issue is connected to an Ubiquity WAP?

Hopefully someone will have an idea....

Kudos: 2

May I ask what where these screen-shot is from. I am having a similar issues, but can not find a screen in the Controller GUI that shows the switch/port number ???
Emerging Member

@pcmedic2k.  See atached screenshot.  Is under Clients

Clients-W.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix?

This has me seriously evaluating my investment in UBNT.

Any suggestions on how to escalate this further? I am clueless and I feel like this is egregious. I've used Cisco and HPE and never had something like this occur with NO outlet for help or support.

Found the answer. Go to this URL:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Unifi-Controller-client-list-shows-wrong-info-...

It is a different problem but it solves our problem as well. The solution is at the very bottom of the string. I did it and everything just fine now Man Happy

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11

i see similar issues with our Dish Receiver LAN Port.

Moved the device to its own VLAN with a reservation IP and DHCP scope of 1 device to get around the issue.