Highlighted

New USW-16-150W idle temp at 70C and fans not turning on...

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm a Unifi newbie looking for some help.

I have a USG 3P (4.4.22), Cloud Key (11.4 Firmware and 5.8.24 Controller), , 4 x UAP-AC-Pro (3.9.27), 2 x UVC-G3 cameras and a new US-16-150w switch to replace my octopus of power adapters.

No problems getting the new switch setup and adopted/provisioned and updated to latest "released" firmware for all.

I have the Clouk Key and 4 UAPs on POE+, and the two UVCs on 24v passive.  All other ports have POE+ disabled.

The temperature is hovering about 70C for the last 24 hours and I haven't yet heard or noticed the fans kick in in the Controller software,

USW16150WDetails.jpg

Is this temperature ok?  Am I worrying about nothing?

From this post I see that the fan should be triggered at 70C but I don't every see that,

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Fan-temperature-guide/m-p/2229429/highlight/tr...

The US-16-150W is a Rev 9 board if that matters.

Thanks for any help!

Kudos: 1

Re: New USW-16-150W idle temp at 70C and fans not turning on...

You won't probably hear the fans. Ever. On 3.9.27.8537 fans never turn on on the 16-150. When my switches was on earlier firmwares I could sometimes hear them turning the fans on. But with this fw release.... as I said, I never ever hear them. They simply never turn on. There are some other threads discussing this and other issue.

I guess I’m just wondering if I should I be concerned with temps at 70c?  Should the fans be coming on?  Is this how they are designed?

I’ve read those other forums and there doesn’t seem to be an actual answer just UBNT contacting some users about an RMA.  There was some discussion about board revisions and firmware being the cause but doesn’t seem to be a concensus...

My USG (no fan) seems just about as warm as the switch and it’s been fine for 10 months and it’s not supplying power to 4 access points and two cameras.

Thanks.

[ Edited ]

I added a 120mm USB fan to blow accross the switch and now temperatures are consistantly around 60c.  While I am happy with this result it's not really what I think I should have to be doing in an already cool room with a brand new $$$ (for me) switch.

Can someone from UBNT respond and to let me know if 70c is normal or advise me what to do?

@UBNT-MikeD

Thank you.