Kudos: 36
Solutions: 1

Performance of USG-3 @ Gigabit WAN speed results

speeds1.jpg

This is not a complaint or a question, more a declaration. Before I got my Fios 1gig connection today, I tried to search to make sure my USG-3 would handle it. I saw lots of people complaining about throughput speeds, etc but they were all year+ old threads. I decided to bite the bullet and try, and happy to report that my USG-3 on 4.3.41 running with controller 5.5.11 handled the throughput with no tweaks or anything. I'm rated at 940mbps down and 880mbps up, so acheiving 915 down and 882 up is pretty good and this little box can handle it. DPI is turned on, QoS/SmartQueues are not.

Anyway, I just wanted to put out up to date info now that Verizon is rolling out 1gig FiOS, more people will probably be asking the question.

Kudos: 1

Re: Performance of USG-3 @ Gigabit WAN speed results

+5. I have installed 4x of these USG-3 and 1x USG-PRO-4 in the past 3 weeks on Verizon 1gb (940 Mbps/ 880 Mbps) residential service. DPI on, guest VLAN routing, nothing else special. I can definitely vouch for and verify multiple times over those speeds and performance. In three of my recent installs, I saw ~950Mbps /950 Mbps.

One note - if you've got FIOS TV, you'll still have to put the Verizon Gateway on the LAN (not routing or broadcasting wifi) so that it can do the coax moca injection to set top boxes for on demand content and menu/guide things... But with near GB service, who wants TV, right?

Anyways - USG all day. Good product. Great price. Excellent for home or SMB. 1 million packets per second is totally respectable for ~$100.

***small annoyances presumably soon to be resolved with firmware. A.) USG-3 VOIP/LAN2 port is non functional at the current. (Unless you want your production cloud controller running beta firmware). B.) Similarly with USG-PRO-4 you currently cannot re-map either of the SFP ports for LAN use. Since Verizon won't hand off fiber (WAN) and there isn't a way to use the SFP ports for LAN, those ports are basically worthless. Again, these things are MINOR and will likely be resolved in due time with future updates.

Hi albtechrva !! I am from Puerto Rico and I just install 1gb (950Mbps/920Mbps)  Optico Fiber Service!!! I am in the Process of buying new Router, Switch and AP for the new service!! I was debating between USG-3 or USG Pro-4!!  Now with this new info (image with 900+ speeds in the WAN port on the USG-3)  What are the differences between the 2?  What's advantage do I get with the USG-PRO-4?   I am planing on getting the Unifi US‑16‑150W  Switch, can I connect the SFP port on the USG-PRO to the SFP of the US‑16‑150W?  or it just for the WAN?  the Modem that I have  only have  RJ45 ports for internal use!!  So I was Hoping to get the USG-PRO and connect it the US‑16‑150W via SFP!! Any recommendatios would be very Helpfull!!!

@afcdmc - that's awesome you're getting fiber service in PR! To me it all depends on the amount of clients / nature of usage of your network. If it's a relatively small home or business network, I'd say go with the USG-3. I, like you, had hoped to connect the USG-PRO-4 to a US-24-250W via SFP. After investigating, I found no way (or recommended) way of using either SFP port on the USG-PRO-4 for anything other than WAN (at least, for now). I ended up connecting my USG-PRO-4 to my switch with Cat7. The differences? USG-PRO-4 is rack mountable, the USG-3 is not. The USG-PRO-4 and the USG-3 differ in their ability to push packets per second. 1 million pps on the USG-3 and 2.4 million pps on the USG-PRO-4. This difference is related to the difference in computing power. The PRO-4 has double the processing power and 4x the RAM than the 3 - but this may only be noticeable depending on your configuration and number of users. Like I said above, the difference lay in number of users/ hopeful bandwidth allocation per user. Bigger network (or more advanced config), go for the pro. Smaller network the USG-3 is awesome. Hope that provides a little more insight!

Thanks 

Kudos: 3

When everyone keeps saying USG-3 is that this: Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LV8YZLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_H62ozbXFRRK1W

?
Thanks.

Don't forget to give Kudos if someone was able to help you!
SuperUser
Kudos: 10901
Solutions: 672
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

@aclainftw wrote:
When everyone keeps saying USG-3 is that this: Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LV8YZLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_H62ozbXFRRK1W

?
Thanks.

Yes.   Some people call it that because of the 3 ethernet ports.   There is a larger version with 4 ports and it's rack mounted, and refered to as the USG-4 (official name is USG-Pro)

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

Excellent, thank you @eejimm.

Don't forget to give Kudos if someone was able to help you!

I got 966mbps download and 915mbps upload

I'm so glad to see this thread.  I've been running a custom pfSense router for years now. It has served me very well until yesterday when I upgraded by connection to FiOS gigabit.  Nice to know this little router will handle the connection I need.

Nice! Are you using the Verizon-supplied ONT? I've been trying to understand if the USG-PRO-4 with a GPON-SFP module could take the fiber connection directly and then fight on the phone with Verizon to authorize the serial. Have you had any luck with that or know anyone who has done that successfully? There are mixed signals on other forums.

Yes.  My location is ONT directly to the USG3 but with ethernet.  I don't know that they even have an option for SFP from the ONT.  

I was having some flapping from gigabit to 10/100 though and the USG3 would occationally get stuck at 10/100 crippling my speeds.  Worked with tech support at UBNT and they had me move the OTN connection to a port on the US-24 VLANed to another that fed the USG3 WAN port.  Bascially the US-24 absorbed the flapping and I was good from there on.

Then I recently (last two weeks) lost connection due to damaged lines in the ground.  Verzion came out and will be burying new lines.  The tech had zero issue with the fact that I don't use their router.  While he couldn't verify my connection beyond the ONT, he had me do that.  My connection speeds are typically around 850Mbps both ways though I never disconnect services to get a "true" speed rating.

Heh - that's my current setup exactly. I was asking if you could remove the Verizon ONT entirely. I was hoping for something like:

Outside Fiber Line -> GPON-SPF USG-PRO-4

My reading online is that the Verizon ONTs do some filtering, but the USG-PRO-4 can deal with it. The bigger problem was getting Verizon to authorize the USG-PRO-4 and exchange the certificates, etc.

[ Edited ]

Given Verizon's general incompetence at the lower levels and utter apathy higher up, that is an uphill battle that I'm just not even going mess with.  If I were to be hitting limits maybe, be I have plenty of bandwidth to spare and super low latency.

Yea I plan on switching to Verizon fios 1 gig service as comcast has 1 gig service as well but in order to have it it has to be a seperate line and also they don't have bundle deals with 1 gig service like verizon fios does.

we plan on getting are house line back but not going with there tv service as we would be getting are tv service thru dish or this other provider that works off your internet and its not Direct tv Now or SLING TV or Playstation Vue service or youtube tv service.

Ok i remember what its called now >> https://layer3tv.com/

Right now my speed is 250 download with a 12 to 12.5 upload with comcast and we have tv service with them but not there phone service.

[ Edited ]

Good day,

Thank you so much for providing the throughput details as I'm now convinced that this is the right product for my home office. Can this appliance be configured with your PPPoE details from your internet service provider or do you require a seperate router to achieve this?

Just trying to move away from using the hardware that's supplied from my internet services provider.

Many thanks,

David

Kudos: 38

@dwhelehan wrote:

Good day,

Thank you so much for providing the throughput details as I'm now convinced that this is the right product for my home office. Can this appliance be configured with your PPPoE details from your internet service provider or do you require a seperate router to achieve this?

Just trying to move away from using the hardware that's supplied from my internet services provider.

Many thanks,

David

I suppose it depends on the provider. I was able to hook up CL by setting USG to PPPoE, entering credentials and tagging traffic with VLAN 201. I now don't need their router.

6987618780.png

Absolutely Fantastic & thanks for the information.

Just got my CenturyLink 100/50 service upgraded to gigabit (no CL hardware change because I already had working fiber/gigabit GPON.

Only seeing 150 or so up and down through my USG-3.  No VLANs, no DPI...pretty vanilla.  

What should I check?

Kudos: 38

wrote:

Just got my CenturyLink 100/50 service upgraded to gigabit (no CL hardware change because I already had working fiber/gigabit GPON.

Only seeing 150 or so up and down through my USG-3.  No VLANs, no DPI...pretty vanilla.  

What should I check?

That all hardware offloading is enabled. Make sure you are on at least 4.4.12 USG firmware. Check speeds with the CL router first--are you sure its getting the full speeds? Test directly to the USG, bypassing any switch.