Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Planning new home network, which switches to get?

I'm a very happy Unifi AP customer and getting into Unifi Switches for my new place. I may get a USG, but not sure yet. Internet will be a symetrical 1G fiber connection. 

The house will have 12-15 ethernet drops all terminating at a patch panel under the stairs. There will be an additional 6-8 connections within the rack for NAS, automation control, music control, etc.

I will have one UAP-AC-PRO in the middle of the house, though I may add a second in the future if I need to boost singal strength. I may also eventually add a Unifi Camera at the front door. 4 POE ports should be enough.

I'm trying to decide between a single US-24-250W or a US-24 (non POE) + US-8-60W. 

A single US-24-250W costs about $100 more, but gives me ultimate flexibility with POE if I want to add more cameras, APs, Phones or other POE gear. Putting aside the uplink, I will have 23 usable ports in this configuration.

Using two seperate switches gives me fewer POE ports, but more overall ports (7 usable on US-8-60W, 23 usable on US-24 = 30 total usable). Two swtiches take up more room as well, though I should be fine sticking the US-8 on a shelf with my modem and router.

From a POE perspective, is there anything the US-24-250W can do that the US-8-60W can't? What woud you do in your own home?

Accepted Solutions
Emerging Member
Kudos: 41
Solutions: 2

Re: Planning new home network, which switches to get?

[ Edited ]

The US-24 has a fan but it is tiny and I am not sure how often it actually runs. I only recently purchased the US-24 and it is installed right under the USG PRO so that covers the noise of the US-24 (if any). I think I heard a short whine when I powered it up that lasted a few seconds but it was quite faint.

With regards to the 8 port, I'd go with the US-8-150W as all 8 ports are POE capable, there is more POE power available, it has 2 SFP ports and the power supply is integrated (so no brick always int eh way). Although it increases cost, you could use the SFP on both switches for the uplink in order not to use one of your ethernet ports. You could also do this at a later date if you are running out of ports. Also, although it is not meant to me installed in a rack due to heat considerations, it comes with ears you can use to mount it to a wall or something. It can also sit on a shelf inside a rack if you guarantee proper ventilation. 

Just happened to have a picture of the fan that is used in the US-24 inc ase you want to look up its noise level...

20180208_114205.jpg

EDIT: If the building is all concrete and bricks (including interior walls and floors) I would definitely consider at a minimum 2 APs, one for each floor. Even though one AP may get the signal everywhere, your performance will likely suffer due to poor signal (remember your low power client much reach the AP as well) and that would be a pity with the 1Gbit connection you have! I have 3 APs to cover my 3400sqft home but it is made in the typical US building materials (wood/drywall). The 4rth AP is for a Guest SSID so that I do not cut down my throughput by creating an additional SSID on my main APs (I believe I read it worked that way but never really verified it... I had an extra AP so I figured I'd use it that way regardless of the need).

USG4P / USW 24 POE-250W / USW 24 / USW 8 POE-150W / USW 8 POE-60 / USW 8 x 4/ UAP-AC-PRO x 2 / UAP-AC-HD / UAP-AC-SHD / UCK

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 8062
Solutions: 1301

It's nice you like UniFi switches, but I'm not sure if

they provide much value--especially if you have

only one or two UniFi access points. Sure: integration

is fun, but switches typically don't need continuing

monitoring or adjustments.

On the other hand, if your house is as large as you

infer--with all this stuff--I wonder how you could cover

it well with a single access point.   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

I too have 1Gbit Fiber connection and have implemented all of the things you have mentioned. The list of hardware in my signature is what I picked for my home. The 24 POE switch is my main switch connected to the USG PRO. I am really happy with powering my 7 IP cameras with the switch eliminating my previous midspan PEO injector. I also power most of my smaller switches with the 24 port POE switch so that saves me having extra wires where those switches are installed AND they are all under a UPSregardless of their location in the house because the main switch is powered by a UPS.

That said, if you have NO issues with fan noise, I would definitely go with the 24 port POE switch. If you DO have issues with noise, then you may want to consider the non POE version along with the fanless 8 port 150W switch. There are multiple threads in these forums on fan noise. The USG PRO itself is quite annoying and even after I upgraded its fans with way more silent ones (same air movement), it is still quite annoying considering I ended up placing mine in a dedicated home threatre room. My main switch is in the attic so it can make all the noise it needs...

Regarding POE, you can also power a number of smaller items such as RPI, Odroid, Smarthings Hub, Hue Hub, etc with POE splitters. The one I use has multiple different voltages it can output. The only potential drawback is that you are loading a relatively expensive switch but it gives you lots more control over your hardware (ie remote power cycle of those devices) and less clutter where those devices are installed.

One final note on throughput... the USG PRO can handle 1Gbps up/down with all the new filtering options switched OFF. If you want to have full bandwidth while using those features you will have to go with the very expensive (for our use) XG model. I would NOT consider the USG3 at all as it would reduce your internet speed (I do not recall its max throughput but I am quite sure I read it was less than the USG PRO).

USG4P / USW 24 POE-250W / USW 24 / USW 8 POE-150W / USW 8 POE-60 / USW 8 x 4/ UAP-AC-PRO x 2 / UAP-AC-HD / UAP-AC-SHD / UCK

Hi Dave,

It's actually a live/work space, so this equipment will provide a personal VLAN and a business VLAN. It's my understanding that I need these switches to serve the VLANs.

On your second point, I don't know yet. It's a 1800 sqft loft on two levels. Main level will be work space and second level is living space. It's a concrete build, so you may be right that additional APs are necessary, I will figure that out when I move in, would like to order my switching gear now so I can easily plug in more APs once I get the place setup.

Thanks!

I've read about the fan noise but that didn't come to mind. I think I will be best to go with US-24 and a US-8-60W to keep the noise down.
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

The US-24 has a fan but it is tiny and I am not sure how often it actually runs. I only recently purchased the US-24 and it is installed right under the USG PRO so that covers the noise of the US-24 (if any). I think I heard a short whine when I powered it up that lasted a few seconds but it was quite faint.

With regards to the 8 port, I'd go with the US-8-150W as all 8 ports are POE capable, there is more POE power available, it has 2 SFP ports and the power supply is integrated (so no brick always int eh way). Although it increases cost, you could use the SFP on both switches for the uplink in order not to use one of your ethernet ports. You could also do this at a later date if you are running out of ports. Also, although it is not meant to me installed in a rack due to heat considerations, it comes with ears you can use to mount it to a wall or something. It can also sit on a shelf inside a rack if you guarantee proper ventilation. 

Just happened to have a picture of the fan that is used in the US-24 inc ase you want to look up its noise level...

20180208_114205.jpg

EDIT: If the building is all concrete and bricks (including interior walls and floors) I would definitely consider at a minimum 2 APs, one for each floor. Even though one AP may get the signal everywhere, your performance will likely suffer due to poor signal (remember your low power client much reach the AP as well) and that would be a pity with the 1Gbit connection you have! I have 3 APs to cover my 3400sqft home but it is made in the typical US building materials (wood/drywall). The 4rth AP is for a Guest SSID so that I do not cut down my throughput by creating an additional SSID on my main APs (I believe I read it worked that way but never really verified it... I had an extra AP so I figured I'd use it that way regardless of the need).

Cost of US-8-150W + US-24 are basically the same as US-24-250W. Putting noise aside, any draw back of going with US-24-250W which would give me more flexibility for POE devices in the future, vs two separate switches?
Emerging Member

I would totally go with the US-24-250W as long as you are certain noise will not be a problem. I can't think of any other drawbacks.
SuperUser
Kudos: 8062
Solutions: 1301

You absolutely do not need UniFi switches to provide

or 'service' VLANs. In fact--because they use a different

setup approach than industry-standard switches, you

may find them more complex to setup.   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com