Powering a UAP-AC-IW with a US-8

Wanting to make sure I'm understanding this article correctly.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000263008--UniFi-Understanding-PoE-and-How-UniFi-Devices-...

I want to go from a US-8-60 in one room into a house, to a US-8 in another room (being powered by the -60). Then from the PoE passthrough on the US-8 to a UAP-AC-IW for wireless in the kitchen. Can I chain it like that?

The datasheets make it seem like the in wall needs more power than even the 60w switch can output, but the chart reads like it would?

Or is the in wall and the 8 port switch too much power draw for one port on the us-8-60, and I need to change it up and go US-8-60 -> US-8 and US-8-60 -> in wall.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 240
Solutions: 101

Re: Powering a UAP-AC-IW with a US-8

The US-8-60w will only output 802.3af PoE which will yield a useable 12.95 W of power. A single PD (powered device) can be powered from the US-8-60w.

In order to power both the US-8 and the UAP-AC-IW you would need a switch that can output 802.3at (up to 25.50 W). If you were to use the included power adapter with the US-8 you would be able to power the AP. PoE pass-through would not be powering the switch or the AP in this configuration.
Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 17

@cik,

Passthrough PoE is very handy, but @UBNT-AdamD is right, you'll need a primary switch with more power or power the US-8 switch separately. I've used passthrough PoE with the US-8-150 and of course the bigger switches, I love it. Just wanted to say that. Man Very Happy

--

Klint

Primary Innovator at Sprocket Technology
UEWA | Contributor to Easy UBNTUFW Lockdown, Companion API | Host on Vultr

The 60w 8 port switch will power multiple devices directly though, right? (like an AP Pro, an AP In wall, a cloud key, and a PoE powered 8 port switch?)

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 240
Solutions: 101

Yes, up to 4 802.3af PD's as long as they're all on individual ports.
Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team