Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 4
Accepted Solution

Question about Re-adopting after Cloudkey died

My Cloudkey Gen2 Plus died within 24 hours of me setting it up. I've sent it back to the place I purchased and hopfully they replace it without too much hassle/time.

So my question for when I get a new one...

The only backup I have was from when I was running the controller on my laptop, so when I run that now the devices (2x WAPs and Switch) are 'managed by other' (ie the dead cloudkey).

Am I going to need to do a factory reset on all my equipment now to get them adoptable again Man Sad

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Kudos: 172
Solutions: 34

Re: Question about Re-adopting after Cloudkey died

[ Edited ]

IF...you had taken a backup from the now defunct CKg2, you could have restored that back to the laptop controller instance and everything would have been fine. 

If no CK backup, factory reset all devices, and readopt from laptop controller. it should reconfigure with the same settings for each device from when it was last controlled from this controller.

If you happen to know the {Settings} {Site} {Device Authentication} "username and password" from the CK controller you could also issue a "adopt device managed by other" for each device where you will than be asked for this password. if you don't have this, see previous paragraph.

Eric

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

IF...you had taken a backup from the now defunct CKg2, you could have restored that back to the laptop controller instance and everything would have been fine. 

If no CK backup, factory reset all devices, and readopt from laptop controller. it should reconfigure with the same settings for each device from when it was last controlled from this controller.

If you happen to know the {Settings} {Site} {Device Authentication} "username and password" from the CK controller you could also issue a "adopt device managed by other" for each device where you will than be asked for this password. if you don't have this, see previous paragraph.

Eric

Thanks Eric.

I wish I had taken a backup from the CKg2 before it died, but I didn't expect it to die within the first 24 hours.  Next time I'll backup multiple times throughout the setup.

To be honest, I don't even remember setting up any device passwords/usernames, so I'll reset the devices tonight and readopt using the laptop controller.

Yeah,

Not too surprising given, for most of us, its not the first thing you think of with a new device. 

For future reference the user name and password the controller uses to provision and communicate with managed devices is set here:

ubnt.png

It will be set to random values when first configured but most recommend resetting to some known user name and password as you will need the same if you want to SSH into any of the managed devices to look at CLI config.

Eric

[ Edited ]

Good to know - thank you! 

So its one username/password for all the devices as opposed to one per device.

Correct.

Eric