Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Quick USG Firewall/port forward question

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have just bought some Unifi euqipment (USW 8 60W, CloudKey, AC AP Lite and now USG).

Everything but the USG is online so far, I'm still using my old Asus AC68U as a router, but I plan to exchange that for the USG tonight.

My question about the USG Firewall:

Is the firewall going to block everything from start, including for example port 80? If you buy a standard router today for example Asus, you would just plug it in and start surfing. Is it the same for the USG or do I need alot of rules placed in the firewall section?

On my current Asus I have quite a few port forwards configured for miscellanous equipment, shold I place those ports in the USG port forward or in the firewall?

Thanks in advance

Kudos: 195
Solutions: 28

Re: Quick USG Firewall/port forward question

@Tacopyjamas wrote:

Hi,

I have just bought some Unifi euqipment (USW 8 60W, CloudKey, AC AP Lite and now USG).

Everything but the USG is online so far, I'm still using my old Asus AC68U as a router, but I plan to exchange that for the USG tonight.

My question about the USG Firewall:

Is the firewall going to block everything from start, including for example port 80? If you buy a standard router today for example Asus, you would just plug it in and start surfing. Is it the same for the USG or do I need alot of rules placed in the firewall section?

On my current Asus I have quite a few port forwards configured for miscellanous equipment, shold I place those ports in the USG port forward or in the firewall?

Thanks in advance

Yes everything is blocked. As far as the port forward, you set that up in the USG port forward and then will automatically make the firewall rules.

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 9

Re: Quick USG Firewall/port forward question

The Firewall in the USG will not block outbound Port 80 request just like your Asus did but it will block the inbound request so if you have a web server or mail server you will have to open the firewall to let other connect to those servers.