Highlighted
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Reserved IP not working

[ Edited ]

Hello - brand new UniFi user and loving it. 

Running into a slight problem. All my devices logged onto wifi and they got all their IPs. Then I went and made some changes. For example, my computer's IP is always *.25, but the Roomba had *.25. So I did what made sense and told the controller that *my computer* should have that IP. I refreshed DHCP and I got the warning that another computer already has that IP. Ok.

So I then tried "Reconnect"ing the Roomba while letting my computer grab the IP. Didn't work.

I tried assigning a new IP to the Roomba. Booted it. Still came back with the *.25 IP.

Next I tried "Block"ing the Roomba. That worked - allowed me to get the right IP on my laptop.

However, once I unblocked the Roomba, I got the same warning and was kicked off my network. The nerve! Man Happy

What's the correct way to do this? I'm clearly missing something. (And I hope the answer isn't "Go reset the roomba".)

Thanks!

EDIT: I have a Cloud Key + Wifi Lite AP + USG.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Reserved IP not working

Ok. Further digging and I got the answer. (Sorry guys, but you were wrong.)

If you want to force a client to get a new IP, here are the steps:
1. Select the client and select "Use a fixed IP address", enter (preferably unused) address
2. SSH into the USG and enter `clear dhcp lease ip <current ip you're trying to stop using>"
3. (optional to speed up the process) from the Clients tab force a Reconnect
4. Client should have switched to the new IP, and the old IP should be available for use.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 14

You can set the fixed IPs, but then you will have to wait for the existing lease to expire, then it will grab a new IP. Until then, the device has no reason to check for a new IP unless otherwise told.

Set your fixed IP for your computer, and within 24 hours (or whatever you have your lease time set to).

If you wanted, you can check when that lease will expire. SSH into the USG and enter 'show dhcp leases' to get the list.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

make sure the roomba is not set to a static too.

Thanks! Seems odd that there isn’t a way to force a lease to expire. 

Ok. Further digging and I got the answer. (Sorry guys, but you were wrong.)

If you want to force a client to get a new IP, here are the steps:
1. Select the client and select "Use a fixed IP address", enter (preferably unused) address
2. SSH into the USG and enter `clear dhcp lease ip <current ip you're trying to stop using>"
3. (optional to speed up the process) from the Clients tab force a Reconnect
4. Client should have switched to the new IP, and the old IP should be available for use.