Accepted Solution

[Root cause found] UniFi Switch 8 and PS4 online gaming is impossible

[ Edited ]

I changed by consumer grade switch to a UniFi Switch 8. This is connected to a EdgeRouter X which provides Internet access. Internet connectivity works fine, but after connecting my PS4 to the new UniFi Switch 8 switch, playing online games is impossible. Let me try to explain.

PS4 is able to connect fine to the Internet and it tells me the NAT is Type-2. Also, when I launch the game (Battlefield 5 in this case), I am able to join any game and I am also able to observe the surroundings (meaning, seeing how other players move around etc). But I am not able to interact with the game. When I try to move around the game, I am just kept in place. If I would have to guess, it seems like my outgoing packets are not reaching the server, or something along those lines.

I have not changed any configurations in my UniFi Switch 8 and the operation mode on all ports is "Switching". I am very surprised by this behaviour and I am not sure where to invesigate further. The only change in my network setup was that I replaced a "normal" consumer grade switch with this UniFi Switch 8 and I assumed all switched would by default operate the same. But now there's something I don't understand why online gaming won't work.

Any ideas how to debug this issue or resolve it? Thanks!   

Edit: To be exact, there's a WiFi link (with UniFi AP-AC-LR as the WiFi base station) between the switch and the EdgeRouter X. 

PS4 <-->  UniFi Switch 8 <--> TP-LINK WiFi extender <--> UniFi AP-AC-LR <--> EdgeRouter X <--> Internet

But as said, this same setup worked fine with a "consumer" switch where the PS4 was connected, so I don't know if this should matter too much. 

Edit: I took some video showing the issue. In this video you can see the UniFi Switch 8 which only has the WiFi extender and the PS4 connected to it. You can also see how the world around me works fine, but as I am trying to move forward, nothing pretty much happens. So there's some huge packet drop of outgoing packets for some reason (I say huge packet drop as opposed to all packet drop, because you can see that I am inching forward barely).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ssh1gSwt2TQGoahR6

Accepted Solutions
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1475
Solutions: 88

Re: UniFi Switch 8 and PS4 online gaming is impossible

you probably need to adjust the TP-Link WiFi Extender configuration.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

Have you updated the Unifi 8 Switch to the latest Firmware?  Just an idea.  My PS4 is Wireless connected to a 100% UniFi Network and I have no problems at all.

Yes, all my UniFi components have the latest firmware.

@kypeli wrote:

Edit: To be exact, there's a WiFi link (with UniFi AP-AC-LR as the WiFi base station) between the switch and the EdgeRouter X. 

PS4 <-->  UniFi Switch 8 <--> TP-LINK WiFi extender <--> UniFi AP-AC-LR <--> EdgeRouter X <--> Internet

This morning I did one more test; I connected the PS4 directly to the WiFi extender, bypassing the new UniFi Switch 8. And everything worked fine.

So something in the UniFi Switch 8 is causing issues for gaming.

I have now also tried with another physical UniFi Switch 8 unit, but without any improvements. So it's not a hardware issue. 

Next, I isolated out the WiFi extender so I directly connected the UniFi 8 switch to the EdgeRouter X:

PS4 -> UniFi 8 switch -> EdgeRouter X -> Internet

And now it works! 

So the problem is the UniFi 8 switch <-> TP-LINK WiFi extender connection. But I have a hard time understanding why. And why would some other switch work fine here? 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1475
Solutions: 88

@Uberseehandel wrote:

Yeah, looks like it. I'll take a look. But quite honestly, not sure what I would be looking for either. 

Thanks anyway! 

Kudos: 55
Solutions: 13

Have you tried a different cable between the Unifi switch and the TP-Link.......I know you tested with the PS4 to the TP-Link, but not sure which cable you might have used for that test?