Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 4

SSH brute force attacks from a blocked Geo IP?

Hi, I have been using the Geo IP filter on the USG to block incoming traffic from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Russia.

Today I happened to peruse the logs, and noticed a brute force SSH attack from China.  This log entry repeats hundreds of times from the same IP, which is in China:

Nov  5 08:33:40 USG sshd[24341]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=116.31.116.18  user=root

I thought the Geo IP filter should block all traffic at the Wan?  Why is it letting SSH authentication requests through from a blocked Geo? 

Kudos: 1206
Solutions: 314

Re: SSH brute force attacks from a blocked Geo IP?

[ Edited ]

GeoIP currently only works if you don't have IPS/IDS and Smart queues enabled. So if you use either of those, GeoIP blocking is disabled.

Emerging Member

Nope, all are disbled.  Geoip blocking should work.  Why is SSH login being bypassed?

Emerging Member

OK, my bad.  I realized that I had opened SSH port in the Wan Local firewall, so I could troubleshoot an issue a long time ago.  Forgot to close the loophole.  No more SSH brute force attacks in my logs now.  Duh!

Anyway, I learned something.  Apparently, firewall Accept rules will override the drop rules which are established by the GeoIP filter.  I dont have a lot of experience with rule priority in IPtables, but I would have thought that the GeoIP drop rules should take priority in this example.