Kudos: 15
Accepted Solution

SmartQueue on USG (QoS vs Bandwidth)

So I'm trying to understand what would be more beneficial in my home situation.  We have a 150/25 internet connection, using a USG 3P and AC Lite, with a few wired connections on basic switches.  I think 3 wired and 20 wireless devices for 2-3 active people in the house.

If I were to turn on SmartQueue, it would bring my download speed down to ~60 from what I've read and tested.  Does reducing my bandwidth in half benefit more because of the QoS optimizations for overal network performance?  Would I be better not using QoS?  Also, is it possible to only have QoS on the upload side?

Thanks

Ted

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 2839
Solutions: 40

Re: SmartQueue on USG (QoS vs Bandwidth)

@JustPlainTed wrote:

So I'm trying to understand what would be more beneficial in my home situation.  We have a 150/25 internet connection, using a USG 3P and AC Lite, with a few wired connections on basic switches.  I think 3 wired and 20 wireless devices for 2-3 active people in the house.

If I were to turn on SmartQueue, it would bring my download speed down to ~60 from what I've read and tested.  Does reducing my bandwidth in half benefit more because of the QoS optimizations for overal network performance?  Would I be better not using QoS?  Also, is it possible to only have QoS on the upload side?

Thanks

Ted

1. I personally never liked SmartQueue and never turned them on. In my opinion, I'll only suggest turning on SQ if you have problems with latency sensitive applications like VoIP and Enterprise Video Call.

2. I don't see any benefits of using 60mbps when you are paying for a full 150mbps connections.

3. I don't really think you should need SQ in most of the cases as you have more than enough bandwidth even for a large family.

4. As for the question if you can selective to only apply SQ on the upstream connection, no you can't, at least not in the UniFi line of products (You can do it with EdgeRouters).

Best regards,

Jack.

Give out Kudo & Accept as Solution if you find a post which saved you, it helps keep the contributors motivated. ;-)

[FR] Include support for USB Cellular Stick in USG/EdgeRouter. - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Feature/Include-support-for-USB-Cellular-Stick-in-USG/idi-p/1906099

View solution in original post

Established Member
Kudos: 1084
Solutions: 51

Well Smart Queueing currently turns off Hardware Acceleration... So the USG is at half horsepower right from the jump.  So the low bandwidth is normal. 

I only enable Smart Queueing when I have a client with LOW bandiwdth but with enterprise needs... For example, I have a client with a 10mbps ISP, which is all they can get, with 11 hardwire clients and a full blown SIP PBX.  It runs great with Smart Queueing enabled. 

With 150 connection would let the USG run at full speed with out QOS. 

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 2839
Solutions: 40

@JustPlainTed wrote:

Thanks

Ted

1. I personally never liked SmartQueue and never turned them on. In my opinion, I'll only suggest turning on SQ if you have problems with latency sensitive applications like VoIP and Enterprise Video Call.

2. I don't see any benefits of using 60mbps when you are paying for a full 150mbps connections.

3. I don't really think you should need SQ in most of the cases as you have more than enough bandwidth even for a large family.

4. As for the question if you can selective to only apply SQ on the upstream connection, no you can't, at least not in the UniFi line of products (You can do it with EdgeRouters).

Best regards,

Jack.

Give out Kudo & Accept as Solution if you find a post which saved you, it helps keep the contributors motivated. ;-)

[FR] Include support for USB Cellular Stick in USG/EdgeRouter. - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Feature/Include-support-for-USB-Cellular-Stick-in-USG/idi-p/1906099
Established Member
Kudos: 1084
Solutions: 51

Well Smart Queueing currently turns off Hardware Acceleration... So the USG is at half horsepower right from the jump.  So the low bandwidth is normal. 

I only enable Smart Queueing when I have a client with LOW bandiwdth but with enterprise needs... For example, I have a client with a 10mbps ISP, which is all they can get, with 11 hardwire clients and a full blown SIP PBX.  It runs great with Smart Queueing enabled. 

With 150 connection would let the USG run at full speed with out QOS. 

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos
Emerging Member
Kudos: 30
Solutions: 3

@jacktooandroid wrote:

That is sadly not correct. Everyone who plays online games has encountered the issue of ping spikes and massive jitter when someone or something else consumes the entire up or downstream bandwidth.

If you have just one "gaming device" then you can help yourself with ordinary QoS / device priorisation. But as soon as there is a chance that multiple people  play on their own PC/concole/etc. then normal QoS just does not cut it anymore.

In such multi user cases (basically every 4+ person household with 2 kids where parents also play online games) Smart Queue is a simple and highly effective solution.
Howver as the OP noticed, you need a router that has the required CPU power do to that without massively reducing your bandwidth when you got >60Mbps.

This is from the EdgeOS manual:

Here are general guidelines on the expected Smart Queue shaping performance:
Model - Expected Maximum Performance

EP-R6 100 - 250 Mbps

EP-R8 120 - 330 Mbps

ER-X 100 - 250 Mbps

ER-X-SFP 100 - 250 Mbps

ERLite-3 60 - 200 Mbps

ERPoe-5 60 - 200 Mbps

ER-8 160 - 450 Mbps

ERPro-8 200 - 550 Mbps

So for the connection the OP has, he would need an ER-8

Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 5862
Solutions: 385

Smartque is also pretty essential in tackling the all to common problem of buffer bloat Man Tongue

Which reminds me...

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP