Kudos: 26
Solutions: 1

Re: Static Names / Client Aliases

+1

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 5

another vote for a better DNS option. Many of my DHCP clients don't provide a name, or if IOT provide the same name. Static devices have no DNS name unless I want to edit the json file. 

Editing a host file, json file, or bind file is a recipe for errors; that is why no one does this anymore. 

Please give us a more robust why to do client name mappings. 

Kudos: 10

+1 as I'm resorting to using something else just for DNS/DHCP for this reason

[ Edited ]

After reading the full thread and following a few others regarding getting this function added to the Unifi line.  My guess is that this was never added due to separation of product lines and keeping some of the more "Business" line of products relevant. The EdgeRouter line of Routing devices provide easy DNS reverse lookup integration through the UI similar to what was requested here. We are left with doing this through the Shell on the USG line.

Same applies to me.

I just migrated from a mixed environment with mikrotik, DD-WRT, Netgear and TPLINK systems to a complete UniFi network with a couple of UniFi switches, AP and USG-4P

Do I really have to keep my Mikrotik or DD-WRT to provide the DNS services?

The suggested addition of using the client name as a DNS entry inside the user interface would be logical. However aan easier way to add a whole buch of MAC/DNS/IP combinations would be appreciated. Especially because I have a lot of IoT devices, which all need to be added as the hostname they use is not the name I want to use.

1 x Unifi Cloud Key, 1 x UniFi Security Gateway 4P,
2 x UniFi AP-AC-Lite, 1 x UniFi AP-AC-Pro
3 x UniFi Switch 24, 1 x UniFi Switch 8

Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 5972
Solutions: 386

@iverlaek wrote:

Do I really have to keep my Mikrotik or DD-WRT to provide the DNS services?

The suggested addition of using the client name as a DNS entry inside the user interface would be logical. However aan easier way to add a whole buch of MAC/DNS/IP combinations would be appreciated. Especially because I have a lot of IoT devices, which all need to be added as the hostname they use is not the name I want to use.

DD-WRT - or piHole; it's what I use.  DNS for how you need to use it is still, sadly lacking with the USG :/

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 12

[ Edited ]

I really don't understand how something that has come to the market (and been around as long as Unifi has) and does not have a proper DNS/DHCP management system. I hate my USG & Unifi more with every passing day due to this major oversight. This thread will be 3 years old in another month, and we still don't have this critical functionality in Unifi. I can't fathom dropping $300+ on a USG-Pro to get better throughput, or $2K+ to get one compatible with IDP/IDS @ gig speeds and STILL not have proper DHCP/DHS management.

On the very first page there are replies from @UBNT-Brandon indicating this was being worked on. I know it can't take 3 years to integrate GUI features to write configurations into DNSMASQ which already exists in Unifi. Perhaps you guys should just opensource the GUI so the community can bake in the features you guys just don't want to spend cycles developing. Even a single developer could've gotten this done in a 40 hours or less; it isn't like they are having to write the DNS engine, it's already there.

I've been lurking on this thread since the beginning, and I guess I should've replied sooner to make my voice heard. I can accept some blame for the delays by not doing so, but this is just absurd. C'mon UBNT, get it together. You keep releasing new updates with more and more beta features for things that aren't even half baked; just stop. Develop one feature to completion, beta release it, fix the bugs, then move to the next. Stop trying to put in 15 things that never get done.

PS: That Netgate XG-7100 is looking more and more appealing for $999. Suricata @ 1Gbps, full dns management, the list goes on and on. I just hate to have to manage my system in multiple places. Unifi makes that so simple.....

SuperUser
Kudos: 5972
Solutions: 386

@cpsmith516 wrote:

@PS: That Netgate XG-7100 is looking more and more appealing for $999. Suricata @ 1Gbps, full dns management, the list goes on and on. I just hate to have to manage my system in multiple places. Unifi makes that so simple.....

pfSense or OpnSense is definitely a lot more functional, which is a shame since as you say the really nice thing about Unifi is the prmise of managing from one console.  At this point I was really expecting the USG to be a lot further along.  I recently bought a cheap used 1U server based on Rangly Atom with quad gig ethernet to load OpnSense on for my church since we should be getting gig Internet soon and the Celeron pfSense appliance we currently have probably would struggle a bit with it.  I would have much rather put a USG - something based on the newer EdgeRouter hardware, but even with new hardware there's just too much fudimental stuff still missing from the USG side of things.  Unifi has this wonderfull database at it's foundation, but it's still way under-taped for things like client management, which is annoying. 

I'm still hopefull that there's just a lot of underneath interdependencies they are feaverishly working on, and all the sudden they will pop up with a major release that really starts to leap forward again.  I hope it's not just me wish-casting and based on some reality.  I guess all I can do is continue to wait and also sit on the sidelines until the USG gets to a state where I feel comfortable jumping back on board.  

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 10

Dnsmasq is already built in, which is the mind boggling part.  Just need to utilize the currently useless alias entries to add forward/reverse lookups.  If the feature isn't added before my next upgrade, I'm definitely switching vendors.  Right now there's such an odd divide in usability/functionality depending on what you're trying to accomplish.  Having to configure things in the GUI, access info via an SSH session, and also manage a JSON bootstrap config file sends really mixed signals regarding their intended audience.  At this moment I wouldn't recommend a managed unifi product to anyone that doesn't have sysadmin and networking knowledge.  It's just odd