Re: [Step-By-Step Tutorial/Guide] Raspberry Pi with UniFi controller and Pi-hole from scratch (headl

[ Edited ]

I don't believe the errors can be cosmetic. Although I have 5.10.12 running on my Pi 3B+ now, I cannot re-add the controller on the UniFi iOS app and the cloud access is permanently 'connecting', so I have lost alot of functionality.

All the more infuriating as this was working perfectly on 5.9.29 before the 'upgrade'. Ubiquiti's only response to me is that they don't provide support for controller on RPi!!! When it's their package that has fussed it up! There is clearly a dependency on u201 of java8 which is not disclosed. Mine was showing up to date at u65.

Have tried to go back to 5.9.29 but on reinstalling I get an error from the web interface that it doesn't support upgrading from 5.10.12! SO currently runing 5.10.12 in 'crippled' mode.  What do I need to remove to allow the wizard to run and restore from an older autobackup?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Kudos: 4

Re: [Step-By-Step Tutorial/Guide] Raspberry Pi with UniFi controller and Pi-hole from scratch (headl

Hi @petitpiton 

I had that exact problem when going from 5.8.30 to 5.9.29. I could access the controller locally but not through the cloud. It constantly said 'connecting' on the controller.  In the end, I decided to forget the controller in the cloud, disable cloud access on the local controller and then went through the process of setting up cloud access again from scratch and it worked. You might want to try that if you haven't already.

Whilst here though massive kudos to @SmokingCrop for that script.

Thanks. Can you point me in the right direction for re-setting up the cloud access?

Cog wheel on LH side of page->Cloud access

Kudos: 7

[ Edited ]

Hello to all....

I've tried all the suggestions with all the scripts for updating the Verion 5.9.29 to  Version 5.10.12 without success, the unifi controller is not available via ip: 8443.

"apt-get remove unifi" and than reinstallation of the previous version 5.9.29 with method "A" works perfectly .

It would be nice if we find soon a solution for the 5.10.12 problem.

Kudos: 1

THANKS! everything working ok! @SmokingCrop 

Now I'd like to find a guide for something like this:

1 WLAN for normal devices, trusted. Internet connectivity, WPA2 PSK, etc...

1 WLAN for guests with Radius (can I run radius on raspberry controller , 1 AP and still get Radius Benefits?) 

1 WLAN for IoT Devices, internet only, no need to access internal LAN.

Any idea?

Kudos: 7

[ Edited ]

I have a solution when the unifi controller does not start after updating to version 5.10.12. Hurray

You have to define the "JAVA_HOME location-Path"

Please edit the file "unifi" in /etc/default/

For example for my installation:

#JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt  => old
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle                          => new

reason...i think the java upgrade (see tutorial from page one) has a different installation-folder.

Now my unifi controller Version 5.10.12 works fine !!!!

(i found the solution here )

Great find. Controller is now working againHurray

Kudos: 2

Thanks dude!! This worked for my Raspberry pi!! Thanks for the tip

Hi.

I tried running the echo | sudo tee command, but it didn't work for me.

I don't have the java folder, only jdk folders in /usb/lib/jvm:

x@UnifiController:/usr/lib/unifi $ ls -la /usr/lib/jvm
total 16
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Feb  2 01:44 .
drwxr-xr-x 47 root root 4096 Feb 11 12:17 ..
drwxr-xr-x  9 root root 4096 Feb  2 01:44 jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 2853 Dec  9  2015 .jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt.jinfo

so i tried this:

echo "JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt" | sudo tee -a /etc/default/unifi

But running sudo /etc/init.d/unifi start

gives me this (still):

[FAIL] Starting Ubiquiti UniFi Controller: unifi failed!

Running on a RPi3B.

After a reboot getting status of the unifi service returns this:

x@UnifiController:~ $ sudo systemctl status unifi
● unifi.service - unifi
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/unifi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2019-02-11 12:45:57 CET; 1min 59s ago
  Process: 494 ExecStart=/usr/lib/unifi/bin/unifi.init start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 537 (jsvc)
   CGroup: /system.slice/unifi.service
           ├─537 unifi -cwd /usr/lib/unifi -home /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt -cp /usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:/usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar -pidfile /var/run/unifi.pid -procname unifi -outfile SYSLOG -errfile SYSLOG -umas
           ├─538 unifi -cwd /usr/lib/unifi -home /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt -cp /usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:/usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar -pidfile /var/run/unifi.pid -procname unifi -outfile SYSLOG -errfile SYSLOG -umas
           └─539 unifi -cwd /usr/lib/unifi -home /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt -cp /usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:/usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar -pidfile /var/run/unifi.pid -procname unifi -outfile SYSLOG -errfile SYSLOG -umas

Feb 11 12:44:43 UnifiController systemd[1]: Starting unifi...
Feb 11 12:44:51 UnifiController unifi[538]: Feb 11, 2019 12:44:51 PM org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
                                            INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
Feb 11 12:44:51 UnifiController unifi[538]: Feb 11, 2019 12:44:51 PM org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
                                            INFO: Retrying request
                                            INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
Feb 11 12:45:57 UnifiController unifi.init[494]: Starting Ubiquiti UniFi Controller: unifi failed!
Feb 11 12:45:57 UnifiController systemd[1]: Started unifi.
Kudos: 2

Hello dude,

I tried this:

echo "JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle" | sudo tee -a /etc/default/unifi

After a reboot and eveythinhg back to normal.

This happend only on a Raspberry Pi because i have also an Ubuntu controller and updaded with out any issues.  

Installed java 8, edited the /etc/default/unifi file and now it works Man Happy
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

I tried this:

echo "JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle" | sudo tee -a /etc/default/unifi

After a reboot and eveythinhg back to normal.

This solution also worked for me. Thanks!!

[ Edited ]
Please edit the file "unifi" in /etc/default/

For example for my installation:

#JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt  => old
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle                          => new

Thanks for the tip Hurray

Now my Unifi Controller works again

Kudos: 1

Sorry for the re-post, but

""Cloud Access feature in this release is not supported on Linux/ARMv6 architecture (e.g. Raspberry Pi 1). "

Is it really so that this new version does not allow cloud access any more?

I got the local installation working ok, but when I try to access it via internet it says my username and password are wrong, yet I know they are ok and work.

Kudos: 5

The UniFi Cloud access feature works fine for me with v5.10.12 after the upgrade of my Pi controller, getting the new version of Java to work was a challenge.  Sounds like you have an issue gaining access to https://unifi.ubnt.com, if you are trying to port forward through your firewall to your Pi UniFi controller from the Internet that is a differant issue.

Have a good day!

Thanks for the tip Hurrayhttps://ubnt.i.lithium.com/html/images/emoticons/hurray.gif

@ramsesii wrote:

Sorry for the re-post, but

""Cloud Access feature in this release is not supported on Linux/ARMv6 architecture (e.g. Raspberry Pi 1). "

Is it really so that this new version does not allow cloud access any more?

I got the local installation working ok, but when I try to access it via internet it says my username and password are wrong, yet I know they are ok and work.

Do you have a Pi 1 because the way I read it's only those that will cease to work?  It certainly works on our Pi 2 and 3s

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

Controller 5.10.17 has been released. for the ones htat are running 5.10.12 should we use method A to update?